Destiny 2 Deep Stone Crypt Raid Guide
DESOLATION | CRYPT SECURITY | ATARAKS-1 | DESCENT | RAPTURE – TANIKS | DEFEAT TANIKS: THE ABOMINATION
- Must complete Beyond Light Campaign
- Minimum recommended power level: 1230
- Final Boss power level: 1250
- Champions in Raid: Overload
- Shields in raid: Arc, Void
1: Found in Desolation encounter. After you reach the final heat bubble turn your back to the door. Going to your left, there is a small ledge and a cubby. Entering in and jumping to your left will find you the chest.
Chest 2: See descent section. The part underneath with the huge fan things, the platforms along the left side have a chest
The Deep Stone Crypt revolves around the concept of 3 different roles, known as Augments: Operator, Scanner, and Suppressor
These roles are present in each encounter (other than Suppressor, which is only in the 3rd and 4th encounters), and function generally the same in each. When a Player is taking on a specific role, they’ll have the roles’ respective icon as a hologram above their shoulder.
Apart from the 1st encounter, every role can be undertaken by picking up an item dropped by an Operator Vandal, a Hacker Vandal, or a Suppressor Vandal, for Operator, Scanner, or Suppressor respectively.
In an attempt to make things more clear, I’ve split each encounter into roles.
The Operator is indicated by a red icon. Their main purpose is to Operate, as they can shoot various raid mechanics to trigger various effects.
The Scanner is indicated by a yellow icon. Their purpose is to Scan and determine which elements in an encounter are relevant to the team in order to succeed.
The Suppressor is indicated by a blue icon. Their purpose is to Suppress by stunning the bosses in the 3rd and 4th encounter, enabling the rest of the team to proceed with the encounters’ mechanics.
Roles can be traded around by depositing and picking them up via Augmentation Terminals found in each encounter. Any one Augment dropped into these will be accessible by all other Terminals in the encounter, allowing other players to pick them up. The currently held Augment is visible in the Terminal itself.
In the first two encounters, Sentinel Servitors can spawn which will disable the Augmentation Terminals. Kill them to unlock them once again.
0. DESOLATION – Locate the Deep Stone Crypt
The raid starts out in Eventide Ruins. Head straight ahead, clear the ads, and proceed through the door. You will eventually enter Desolation after a small airlock. Pikes are made available, though they are not necessary.
The concept around this introductory section are heat bubbles which serve to shelter you from the blizzard. Your team must navigate between these heat bubbles to stay alive and reach the end of this area.
Standing in the blizzard grants you the Frostbite debuff, which stacks up to 10x, upon which you will be killed. Prevent this by entering the heat bubbles, granting you the Shelter from the Storm buff, and slowly removing your Frostbite stacks.
Clear the ads around each bubble as you progress. You can choose to Transmat in the center of the safe bubbles, which will send you back one checkpoint, if you need to help your teammates.
You will eventually come across some Brigs defending the final bubble, beyond which is a small airlock that opens to a series of tunnels that lead to Restricted. Continue making your way through these until you reach the entrance to the Deep Stone Crypt, take a right inside, and you will eventually reach the next encounter.
1. RESTRICTED – Disable Crypt Security
Roles: Operator, Scanner
This encounter revolves around the idea of having your Operator in the basement shooting keypads, while Scanners up top guide them.
The room is split into 3 sections: Light (lit side), Dark (unlit side), and Below. Light and Dark each have 4 windows while allow players in either to view keypads below. The center of the room has a small airlock-like room, which allows traversal between Light, Dark, and Below. Only the Operator can interact with these doors once the encounter begins, and they will not allow entry into Below if there is another Player alongside the Operator within the airlock.
Start the encounter by having your chosen Operator pick up the buff from one of the Augmentation Terminals.
The encounter goes as follows:
- A Hacker Vandal will spawn in Dark, from which you can grab the Scanner buff.
- The current Scanner looks through their windows to see which 2 keypads are glowing on their side. Once memorized, they pass the role to the other side by depositing it in their Augmentation Terminal.
- Once all 4 keypads have been located, the Operator can head Below by shooting the keypads next to the central doors. Only the Operator can enter these, and they will not allow passage if someone else is with them.
- When Below, the Scanners guide the Operator to which keypads they need to shoot. Successfully shot keypads will make a sound and show the Operator icon. The Operator has 1 minute to shoot all 4 keypads, starting from the first shot, or they will be killed.
- The 6 Top Fuses will then be exposed to begin the DPS phase, wherein the Operator needs to trade their role with a Scanner via the Augmentation Terminal in the center of Below, directly in front of the stairs. The central doors will also open, allowing teammates to move back and forth between Light and Dark.
- The now-Scanner below checks all 6 smaller Fuses directly below the top ones, and calls out which is glowing. This indicates which the Top team need to shoot, or risk wiping.
- Repeat the last step as each Fuse is destroyed to clear the encounter.
- The top Fuses will be shielded again after a short while, so rinse and repeat until the encounter is cleared, if you did not destroy all 6 in time. In order to get the player Below back out, the current Operator up Top can shoot the keypads next to the central doors to release them before they are killed by incineration.
- Check and memorize which 2 keypads are glowing Below via the windows on your side.
- Send your role to the other side via the Augmentation Terminal.
- Send your role to the Player Below once all 4 keypads have been activated.
- If you’re the Scanner Below, inform your team which fuses are currently glowing for the DPS phase.
- Shoot the keypads next to the central doors to enter Below once your Scanners have determined which 4 keypads are needed.
- Shoot all 4 keypads within 1 minute, following the guidance of your Scanners.
- Send your role to the Top via the Augmentation Terminal in front of the stairs, and pick up the Scanner role.
Once you’ve cleared the encounter, a door on the Dark side will open to lead you to the next encounter.
2. CLARITY CONTROL – Defeat Atraks-1
Roles: Operator, Scanner
This encounter revolves around juggling the Scanner role to determine which Replicant of Atraks-1 to shoot.
This encounter takes place in 2 distinct areas: Ground, and Space. A majority of the encounter takes place in Space, with 4 airlocks to evacuate Replicants, as well as where the final stand takes place.
Decide on 2 teams of 3, a Ground team and a Space team.
The encounter starts once somehow walks through the orb at the opposite side of the room from the entrance.
The encounter goes as follows:
- An Operator Vandal will spawn at Ground, while a Hacker Vandal will spawn in Space. 3 Sentintel Servitors will spawn in each zone too, and serve to advance the encounter. Space team can either head up directly via the Launch Pods, or wait to grab the Operator role, then head up, and grab the Scanner role as well.
- Once Space team has both roles, each team needs to kill all 3 Sentinel Servitors in their area to advance the encounter, wherein the Atraks-1 Replicants will begin casting a wipe mechanic. The Scanner in Space needs to spot which of them is glowing yellow, and call out to their team to DPS only that Replicant. Try to make sure all 3 players are ready to DPS, as you need to deal enough damage to each to avoid enrage. Upon dying, it will turn into a purple cloud, which must be picked up by a Player.
- The Scanner then sends their role to the Ground team via any of the Augmentation Terminals available around the room, followed by the Ground team Scanner checking which Atraks-1 Replicant is glowing, DPSing it, and sending the role back.
- The Players that ran through the purple clouds left behind the Replicants will have a debuff called Atraks-1 Replication with a 42 second timer. If this counts down to 0, a copy of Atraks-1 will respawn on top of them, and wipe the fireteam. To control this, Players holding this debuff should head to Space, where the Operator can shoot the glow above them to cause them to drop the Replication, and refresh the timer. The Operator can also call and send Launch Pods by shooting the keypads next to them.
- Any Players carrying Atraks-1 Replications should position themselves near an airlock. The Operator can shoot the keypad to open the airlock, followed by shooting the glowing Replication above the Player once they’re standing in the airlock to cause it to drop, and then get vented out of the airlock. The Player in the airlock should obviously get out before this happens. All 4 airlocks will reset once the cycle repeats, so be sure to remember which airlocks have been used that cycle.
- Sentinel Servitors will spawn again, and the killed Atraks-1 Replicants will respawn. Rinse and Repeat these steps until you reach the final stand.
- The Final Stands occurs in Space, so have all players head up once you reach this point. It’s simply a rapid-fire version of the encounter, without needing to deal with Replications. The current Scanner just calls out which Atraks-1 Replicant is currently glowing for all the team to DPS, then move on to the next Replicant, until the boss is killed, and the encounter is completed.
The Operator must always stay in Space. Try to also avoid picking up the Replication debuff, as you won’t be able to remove it from yourself, and will need to trade the Augment with someone else first.
- Send or call Launch Pods depending on how many people need to change positions.
- Shoot the glowing debuff above players with Atraks-1 Replication to cause it to drop, resetting its timer.
- When a Player carrying the debuff is ready near an airlock, shoot the keypad to open it, then shoot the debuff above them to cause them to drop it inside the airlock.
- Call out which Atraks-1 Replicant is the current target in your section of the encounter.
- Send your role to the other team via an Augmentation Terminal.
- During the Final Stand, call out each Atraks-1 Replicant as they glow in order, no trading roles.
A door to the right in Space will open once the encounter is cleared, to allow you to progress further into the raid.
DESCENT – Locate the Nuclear Contingency Chamber
More of a mid-encounter transition, this is just a jumping puzzle with some combat. Make your way along the catwalks to the other side, killing ads along the way, all to some exquisite music.
The 2nd Hidden Chest can be found here, along the left side of the area, underneath some large fans.
3. RAPTURE- Prevent Europa’s Destruction
Roles: Operator, Scanner, Suppressor
This is the first encounter that now introduces the Suppressor role. While the purpose of the other two roles is generally the same, there are yet again some differences.
This encounter revolves around juggling Nuclear Cores which give a debuff in order to deposit them and increase the progress of the encounter, no real phases here.
The encounter goes as follows:
- Operator, Scanner, and Suppressor can all be picked up from their respective Vandals that will spawn at the start of the encounter.
- The Scanner checks which 2 of the 4 central bins are glowing: These are where the runners will need to deposit the Nuclear Cores. Meanwhile, the Operator can shoot a keypad next to either the left or right Core station, reducing the number of Nuclear Cores that spawn to 2. 3 spawn by default, though only 2 should be managed at a time. The Suppressor stands ready under one of the 3 Security Drones, from which they can shoot Taniks.
- Two players pick up the Nuclear Cores, to then be ready to deposit them in the center of the room. Carrying a Core gives you the Radiation debuff which stacks up to 10x, upon which you will die. Manage this by calling out your stacks of Radiation to your team, and if need be, have someone else interact with you to pick up your core. Stacks of Radiation will decay after a long while, so keep an eye on that if you go to grab a new Core.
- Once all the Cores are being carried, the Suppressor must shoot Taniks from under each of the 3 Security Drones, which will eventually stun him, allowing the Nuclear Cores to be deposited into the glowing bins that the Scanner calls out at the center of the room, while also disabling a Players’ augment. The Player affected by this must drop their Augment at an Augmentation Station to trade it with someone else.
Each Bin must receive only one Core. Doing so will advance a progress bar beneath the bins.
- Repeat this 5 more times to unlock the hatch in the center of the room which leads to the end of the encounter. Once it opens, it’s a sprint to the end of the hallway, as Taniks will be chasing you, and the final door will slowly close. Getting caught by Taniks is an instakill, while failing to get someone past the door wipes the team.
All roles may have to switch with someone else throughout the encounter, as clearing a set of Nuclear Cores will disable the Augment for a random player.
Shoot the keypads next to the Core Dispensers to prevent one extra Nuclear Core from spawning to more easily manage the encounter.
Check which 2 Deposit Bins in the center of the room are glowing, and call them out to your team.
- Stand under a Security Drone and shoot Taniks once the cores have been spawned. He will glow blue when you are in the correct position.
- Repeat for all 3 of the Security Drones in the room.
When carrying a core, you cannot drop them yourself, and can only move and jump. All your other abilities become unusable.
- Grab a Nuclear Core once they’re summoned.
- If need be, call out to your fireteam when you’ve got high stacks so that someone else can take over for you.
- Deposit the Core in one of the two Depsoit Bins that the Scanner called out.
The encounter is cleared once the Station crash lands on Europa, and the loot chest is available in the wreckage to the left.
4. RESTRICTED – Defeat Taniks, The Abomination
Roles: Operator, Scanner, Suppressor
The final encounter of the raid. It shares the exact same mechanics to the last encounter for the most part, with some slight added complexity.
The arena is split into 3 sections: Spawn, Blue, and Orange. Each section as 2 Deposit Bins like the previous encounter, one to the left, and one to the right, along with 3 Security Drones.
Run near or shoot the piles of debris in the center of the arena to start the Encounter.
The encounter goes as follows:
- One Augment Vandal spawns in each section of the arena: Operator at Spawn, Scanner in Blue, and Suppressor in Orange. Players need to pick up all of these Augments, as expected.
- The Scanner runs around each section, checking which Bins are glowing, and calling them out to the team. Callouts are usually the area, followed by ‘Left’ or ‘Right’. i.e. “Blue Right, Orange Left”
- Taniks will eventually do a Meteor attack (big purple columns), which lets you know that you need to shoot his thrusters. If at least 2 Thrusters aren’t destroyed in time, he will wipe the fireteam. Each thruster will drop 1 Nuclear Core. To facilitate this encounter, it’s recommended to only shoot 2.
- As before, Core Holders will get the Radiation debuff that will kill them at 10x stacks. Swap with other players to avoid this. Taniks will also occasionally trap a player holding a Core in a large purple sphere. The Operator needs to shoot this to free them, so it’s recommended that the Operator does not carry a Core themselves. Try to avoid having a Core Holder near other players, as the detention sphere can suck them in, too.
- The Suppressor then stands under each Security Drone, shooting Taniks to stun him once all 3 are activated. This allows the Core Carriers to deposit their Cores in the bins that the Scanner had spotted.
- Same as the previous encounter, a random Player will have their augment disabled. Swap with another player via the Augmentation Terminals to mitigate this issue.
- Once all 4 Nuclear Cores have been deposited, this begins the DPS phase. Taniks will summon 2 Arc domes around him, the outermost of which has debris flying around its’ outer edge which must be avoided. In order to DPS him, stand between the outer and inner dome. Standing within the innter dome directly below him causes damage, and will likely kill you. He will occasionally knockback the whole fireteam, so be ready to safely jump back in over the debris when this happens.
- When the DPS phase ends, just rinse and repeat these steps until you reach the final stand. There are a total of 3 DPS phases before enrage, so be sure to get enough damage out before this happens.
- Once below ~15% HP, Taniks will begin teleporting around the arena, attacking constantly. You can DPS him during this phase, and must deal enough damage to kill him before he wipes the fireteam.
Shoot the Detention Sphere (purple) when a player gets trapped to free them, while keeping your distance from Core holders, as getting trapped yourself is guaranteed death.
Check all Deposit Bins around the Arena for the 2 that are glowing yellow, and call them out to your team.
Stand beneath the 3 Security Drones that activate once the Cores have spawned to stun him and allow depositing.
Deposit your Core in one of the glowing Deposit Bins that your Scanner calls out, and switch with someone else if your stacks of Radiation near 10x.
The final chest will spawn in the Orange section once the encounter is completed. This chest is unique in that you can choose your reward to receive from it, as well as pay Spoils of Conquest to buy a Crypt Cache that contains your desired loot.
END OF RAID REVEALS
- The World First Clear cutscene plays once you first load into Europa after the raid has been cleared.
- The Europa Eclipsed Zone is a new concept, where various changes take place in certain regions of Europa due to the falling debris of the destroyed Morning Star Space Station.
- The Lament Quest can be picked up from Banshee in the Tower.
- Variks and the Exo Stranger now have new quests to explore the Deep Stone Crypt as well.