RotMG How to Die with a Potted Character
RotMG How to Die with a Potted Character by Overdosage
So you are getting pretty good at playing the game, and you decide to pot a character. More Power! Kill Stuff Faster! Never Die! Well, about that last part…
Sadly, there are lots and lots of ways that you can turn your Ultimate Killing Machine into an impressive gravestone. After each death, I of course spend some time pounding my head on the keyboard, and then some more time saying I AM NEVER GOING TO PLAY THIS STUPID GAME AGAIN. And then of course, I go back to playing and pot up another guy.
I also say to myself “Overdosage, you need to not do that stupid thing again”. Over time, the list of stupid things I need to avoid doing has become quite long. Perhaps someone else would like to learn about all these stupid things to avoid. Perhaps they don’t want to create impressive gravestones. Who knows, perhaps I just like random excuses to create something that looks sort of like a top 10 list.
Anyway, here it is. I have personally created at least a 5/8 gravestone on each and every one of these items, so I can verify how effective they are.
- Oryx assassins. They slow you, and then Oryx runs right at you and blasts you with his shotgun. This one gets top billing since I have created 2 nice big gravestones from it. The assassins change direction so frequently, and it all happens so quickly…really a pain. There is nothing else at Oryx that has killed me in a long time, but this one is nasty.
- Rotating around Septavius. This one was quite a while ago. I was feeling like quite the stud since I had just figured out how to use off-centered view. So I am rotating around for fun shooting at the boss. The boss shoots out those itty bitty white circle shots in a pattern. It turns out that if you rotate at just the right distance, you can catch every one of those shots in your mouth and go from full health to 0 in about 1/2 of a rotation.
- Teleporting to Lord of the Lost Lands. Managed to land right on top of the Lord just as he is about to fire. I caught just the briefest glimpse of the Lord before the death screen. Since then, I don’t teleport right onto the red dot (yeah, this might seem obvious to many of you).
- Paralyze towers at Tomb of the Ancients. This one was pure evil. The tower was placed right at the entrance to a room. Had to somehow get around it in order to clear the sarcs, but you had to get very close to it because of where it was placed. So I tried to run past, and the tower zapped me. So I’m paralyzed with the tower pumping shots into me at high speed. Only option was to nexus (I was solo so couldn’t teleport), but I didn’t nexus in time. Since then, I have never seen a paralyze tower placed quite so horribly close to the room entrance.
- Pentaract in Godlands. Of course no-one wants to clear the Gods, they just want to destroy the towers and get a drop. So you have boatloads of Gods running around along with the usual assortment of pentaract eyes and tower shots. If the Gods clump up, and if there are a few medusas among them, and if the medusas all firebomb the same spot, and if you just happen to be running through that spot in order to clear the next tower…well then enjoy the lovely death screen.
- Using secret phrase at Thessal. Yeah, I was once again feeling like a stud (do you see a trend here?). I had the secret phrase cached and ready to go. My air was a bit low, but no worries. Thessal uttered the magic words, and all I had to do was hit Enter and Control-V and Enter. So easy. Except I hit the Enter key one time too many. Of course, this put me back in chat mode after uttering the secret phrase. I didn’t notice that because there was a coral gift RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. I start shooting the coral gift, it pops, blue bag, and I am now out of air. Very Exciting. I try to move back to the air bubbles, except of course no movement happens because I am in chat mode. Air is gone, health is dropping, and crab is on top of me. I reluctantly nexus without the blue bag, except hotkey doesn’t work since I am still in chat mode. I do eventually hit the Enter key again, and make another attempt to nexus, but that’s just a wee bit too late.
- Treasure room in Abyss. This one happened just after the last patch. I finally found a treasure room! Needed to wait a bit before entering room in order to regen health. Had autofire on. Did not realize that shots travelled just far enough to reach the gold statue. Also did not realize that once the event started, the ground where I was standing would turn to lava. I did mention that I was standing there because I needed to regen heath, right?
- Teleport onto exploding Djinn. Somehow, I managed to teleport on top of a Djinn right as he exploded. Insta-death. This one troubles me a bit, as I don’t really know how to eliminate the possibility of it happening again. It’s not like I’m going to stop teleporting to the Godlands.
- First WC. It’s a random public WC. Very Exciting. At some point I check the mini-map and see a bunch of people far away from me. Did not realize that the group was split. Instead, I had heard about rogues rushing Oryx 2 and figured that was what was happening. So in my confused state, this meant I needed to speed past the trash and join the rushers before they finish off Oryx. Yeah, that wasn’t such a good plan.
- Second WC. Another random public WC. Once again Very Exciting. This time I manage to stay alive through the trash. I’m approaching Oryx 2 and feeling very studly (yeah, perhaps I should get a clue that feeling studly is very bad for my health). I was playing a wiz, and he had a MNova spell. Was gonna run up to Oryx real quick, spell bomb a couple times, and be sure I have enough damage in to get some awesome drop. Mmmmm, well that didn’t work. I never saw what hit me, but I went from full health to zero in like half a second.
- The 5-minute rule. I am WAY more likely to die in the first 5 minutes of playing than any time after that. Something about getting in the groove, I guess. The 5-minute rule says no doing any truly dangerous stuff in the first 5 minutes.
Honorable Mentions – I haven’t personally created a big gravestone from them, but they are “gravestone-worthy”.
1. Crossfire at Limon. So I am taking a friend through Limon to show him how easy it is to get dex pots. I show him how to stand in the safe spot in between the turrets, and I let him do all the shooting so he will be sure to get the drop. He is unable to kill Limon in one series, but no problem since we will just wait until the second round of turrets. We get the second round of turrets, and Limon dies almost instantly. My friend sees the blue bag and is Very Excited. He grabs the bag and then starts to tell me how awesome it is. Except for one problem. The crossfire turrets are about to fire. And my friend is standing right where Limon used to be. And my friend is in chat mode. Yeah, he died. And yeah, I got the blame.
2. Trade requests at Ocean Trench Entrance. So you kill the Hermit God and head for the trench entrance. The little Hermit Minions are all over the place and you are taking quite a bit of damage. Perhaps it is just me, but they seem to do a lot more damage since the patch. You are about to enter the cave, when some random unknown $%!#$@ opens a trade request with you. Can’t enter the trench now can you? Still taking damage now aren’t you? I managed to reject the trade request and enter the trench before dying, but it was a very close call.
Feel free to share your own stories. Also, feel free to tell me what a noob I am and that you would never die in any of the silly ways I just described. I’m fine either way.
tl;dr potting characters provides fun new ways to die
Jade Statue, I literally teleported to somebody and got all the agrro on me, so statue jumped on my face and gangbashed me with its circle atack.
Teleport on a cloaked rogue. Luckily, the devs helped us all out with that one, but tping to a rogue in godlands or a dungeon could easily still lead to an instadeath.
On clocked rogue killing either the cube god or skull shrine, a warrior rushed it so naturally it shoot behind its self right where i was standing…. instant rip, give a little distance if others are close or even if there not a little more damage isnt worth the death
soooo i was on a 6/8 huntress full coral set ( ik the ring is awfull )
and anyways i delayed and didnt get in right away in shatts protal…. all of the guys had gone to the boss and i was left alone….. did i forgot to mention that the spawners were active ? oh and yea shotgunned within a second….
another silly death was on my 2nd 7/8 knight….
ok, so i was in puppet boss at the moment he goes to last phase, as you know he moves back and starts firing an array of shots then…. still wanted to hug him… rip me.
another one was : ok so i am like finally after hours of farming i am 6/8…. oh yay an eye of the dragon, i hope for lod… imma fight this boss CLOSE RANGE… i was a rogue and i have to say it didnt work.
and thats scratching the surface with this death…
ok so i was in abyss 6/8 knight…. easy rush…… i was being chased by an army of arround 30-40 minions… still easy aint it ? had a few life and rush up to lava…. yea didnt escape…. rip meh
another one was on my 6/8 rogue again and was in glands farming…. as i was rushing with easy ( 75 spd ) an idiot ninja goes and drags a bunch of gods and loads of medusas on to me then nexuses…. rip my rogue…. didnt play for a week.
oh and another one… they say that if yiu fail once you learn something from it… right ? well same way as huntress rogue 6/8 rip.
ok this one was kinda annoying…
i was 6/8 on my knight…. as i was fighting solo ghost ship it goes straight up and asks for a hug…. he gave it to me.. hard… rip 6/8…
last one of my stupid 6/8 deaths is : on lab i was with 6/8 knight…. got a few confuses and ended up the the thingy that throws a bunch of purple staff that deal massive dmg… well usually its easy to avoid, but when you stand right on friking top of it WHEN its about to start shouting…. well at that place its hard to avoid the rip…
Was in puppet as a 4/8 warrior with max def, spd, wis, and dex.
We were in the middle of the boss fight where pup master spawns puppet wiz, knights, and rogues. I needed to go afk for literally 20 seconds to help my dad. I forgot to /pause but I ran 2 rooms away and the room was completely clear, but i’m guessing so douche dragged knight pup onto me so when i came back i had the death screen.
3 or 4 really stupid deaths:
4/8 knight. Old tops, para hp. So I go into a ice cave.I get to the boss, rest of the people kill it. THEN most of the people in the ice cave decide to leave. 4 people left with a ton of icy whirlwinds rushing me. I decide to stick around to try to get loot. Greed kills.
6/8 knight. Old tops, expo. In a udl. 2 types of lag. First time septavius gets to stand on me, 2nd lag I don’t take damage until too late.
7/8 knight. Old tops, expo, dblade. I was oryxing, was feeling good because I just got def+att from O1. I am getting past the insect part, when I run into a brute. Armor break with an entire army of insects pumping shots into me. Oh well…
5/8 warrior. Do a crystal, get 0. Very excited. Go into the deadwater with half health because of gods outside. Big mob meets me right after observer is dead. It chases me around, I am taking a few shots every once in a while. I get too greedy and didn’t I already say greed kills?
FUCK ME! I teleported to a guy that called a troom in an abyss while I was 2/8. What do you know? Troom to him means 50 oryx brutes standing in a circle waiting to murder you when you tp. Is there a way I can report the son of a bitch for it? Didn’t TechMech get banned for laughing as others were killed by ent trees? Email me. I really, really want to fuck with this guy for what he did. And yes, its a real email.
Started a new char 0/8 did most of the things this kid died from, never got hit… you people must suck at bullet hells.
Guys, just to let you know, if you to ctrl+w, it’s the same as nexus. U won’t die. Sometimes, nexus wont work because of the lag projectiles create.
My story is that I had a 4/8 warrior ( dex, wis, def, and spd maxed ). I decided it was time to go to oryx ( and I had veng, frostbite, ghelm, and exa spd for extra spd in wine cellar ). So, I have 58 spd, go to oryx in wine chamber. Unfortunately, I forget to go down in the room where he is. Run straight into him.
Lets just say never back up while taking stacked bullets on a brige 1 block wide in Shatters.
8/8 knight in a lab. Just a lab right? I’ve done a million of these I’ll just rush it for first boss and hope for an expo then leave. I start rushing. I’m breaking a wall with a robot running at me flashing red. It explodes into ~10 bullets of 80 that brought me from 800 to 0. Never treat labs like an easy dungeon.
Was starting a new priest.
Had prot lab robe crystal wand and bracer.
Couple days had passed and priest was turning out really well.
Teleport to some ignoramus sitting ontop of the eye of the dragon
Start new character.
leviathan + lag = rip
I don’t know if this part happens to all of us, but I’m pretty sure that if you get this unlucky or broken or whatever, even an 8/8 will die in less than a second.
Level 14 Paladin with some pretty good t9+ stuff, teleported to Oryx’s castle. Most of my group rushes ahead and I slowly work my way forward. Very cautious, until I run into a Brute of Oryx at the end of the bridge. I’m walking back down the bridge, trying not to get hit by him or the Warriors of Oryx around him. Once I get him and the Warriors onto the starting island area, I start circling the outskirt of the island and firing into them as they chase me. Well, the Brute decides he wants to get a little too close to me, so as I’m doing my next rotation I pass the bridge and decide to go down it. (Before I continue, everyone remember how close the very first destroyable walls spawn in? Like right next to the island? Remember that. Also, from here on takes place in roughly a second, it went by very fast.) Me, paying not enough attention to the bridge and more on the enemies, back myself into a “V” shaped part of the closest destroyable walls. As in, only one way in or out. The Brute is ALMOST right on top of me and I start spamming “E” (my nexus button) and NOTHING HAPPENS. I’m still spamming it as the Brute runs on top of me, armor-breaks me, and I take full damage from one instantaneous burst of attacks. Dead.