Defiance Warmaster Guide by Nilxain
**Turn damage numbers on: Settings > Gameplay > Show Damage Numbers: [On]**
**Please don’t break the bindings until you have 20 players**
As soon as you’ve broken out the Warmaster, by destroying all 4 bindings, drop a damage spike and start focusing on his right arm (don’t even wait for him to come out). If you are unable to attack the right arm, then make it your priority to position yourself so that you can attack it. If you did not drop a spike then you’ll be up to drop yours on the first Recharging Bombs (ie: the burn phase).
Make sure you are always running to his right side or his back, this will help you avoid his roll, and be in position to attack his right arm. Also, do your best to keep some space between you and the other players. Staying in motion can help you avoid bombs more easily, but if you are running toward the other players then you may also be running into their bombs – so strafe wisely. If you don’t want to die then just focus on sprinting around, avoiding bombs, for Bomb Rumble and you should be fine (you do need to focus fire during Recharging Bombs – so just watch your surroundings and avoid appropriately).
If you die extract immediately and run back – don’t wait.(Here is why)
Abilities and Tactics
- Will target a player for a few moments, chase them, and try to attack them.
- Attack (smash and swing)
- Puts his arms in the air and then smashed the ground with both fists knocking players back.
- Swings one arm at the fixated target.
- Attack (smash and swing)
If you are the target just run away until you notice he is no longer chasing you – make sure you turn the right arm toward the group (which normally means running clockwise). It’s the group’s job to make sure they don’t get hit by his abilities, so don’t worry about them, just give them the right thing to shoot.
- sticks his arms out a little and shakes, then rolls forward for about 30-40% of the room.
I don’t know if this is also a part of fixate, but just make sure you are running on his sides and you’ll be able to dodge out. Try not to get yourself pinned to a wall.
- Puts both fists on the ground and pushes his chest up and out.
This will do damage if you are too close, and knock players back – so keep back from him if you are in front of him (10-15m maybe). The Warmaster pauses for a good time during this, making it a great time to detonate grenades or burn his right arm.
- He will shake and erupt bombs from his back – 4 waves of bombs.
When the Bomb Rumble starts, each bomb will target a random player’s position. Dodge or run away from the other players while doing damage when you can. Watch the bombs to see if one or more are coming your way, and already know where you need to dodge/run so you won’t go into another player’s bombs. Try to position yourself so no players are in your run path. You will do more damage if you avoid the bombs and don’t die (making sure to focus the right arm), than you will if you die and run back – though you can still do fine if you do. When you get more comfortable with this you will be able to just stand in place and shoot him, dodging out when needed.
Recharge bombs(Burn Phase)
- He hangs on the wall by his right arm and throws out 6 waves of bombs at regular intervals (staggering can cut this short).
Your EGO will call “watch out he’s moving” then he will walk over to one side (also doing Crystal Rumble if is at 50% HP or less), then he’ll jump up and hang by his right arm. When he starts his recharge bombs use damage CDs and focus his right arm (the one he’s hanging by).
Stand on his right. Grouping in this phase can be beneficial because of spikes, but can also be a major hazard. All of the spikes (and BMGs if anyone’s using one) can make it really hard to see all of the bombs, and you are more likely to have multiple bombs come your way. For this reason I would recommend several small groups (over one big group). Also, it is best to drop your spike early, and behind where you actually want to stand then move in front of it – so the icon doesn’t block a bomb. Doing these two things will help you will have a much lower chance of getting hit by a bomb and maximize your DPS up-time.
- Pounce on the ground (after Recharging Bombs) disabling everyone’s HUD (I saw no noticeable resistance with a lightning shield on).
When he drops down from his Recharge Bombs he will either do Drop Shock or Stagger. For both of these you want to be on his right and close to medium range – if it’s Drop Shock have your hip shooting weapon out. Drop shock is also the best time to refill ammo during the fight.
- The Warmaster lays on the ground stunned for a few moments (followed by a laser).
If you are able to do enough damage and knock him off the recharge before it’s done, instead of Drop Shock he gets staggered and you can light him up for extra time w/o him moving or dealing damage (I don’t know if this counts as an actual stagger). You will want to be on his immediate right side (so you don’t get hit by his next laser); focus fire his right arm and prepare for laser.
- Damaging laser (perhaps a 60deg range).
A few seconds after he has been staggered he will get up and start scan the floor with a damaging laser (60degs maybe). When he gets up from stagger he will laser, as long as you are securely on one side of him you won’t get hit. He also sometimes will laser when not staggered, so keep an eye out. As long as you are on his right you will be able to unload this whole time without having to move.
Crystal Rumble (terrain, and adds)
- Crystals come up from the ground, scattered across the room, while also spawning adds at the boss’s location.
At 50% health he will start adding Crystal Rumble before each Recharge Bombs phase. He will stick his arms strait out (to his sides), stream a blue line into the ground, then start spawning crystals and adds.Find a crystal and hug it, you can use it to both LOS adds and bombs. Wait to drop your spikes until you’ve made it to your crystal – drop it away from the crystal a little, so it doesn’t block your site. Ignore adds and focus the boss – adds will disappear after the phase is over.
Energy portal (after 7min)
- If you don’t meet the time limit he will create a portal and blink away – ending the fight.
Weapons – Gear – Consumables
- There are three basic methods so far for killing this boss: Single target armor/Single target crit, Explosive HP/Explosive crit (w/ optional 2nd loadout), and Explosive HP/Single target armor/Single target crit w/2nd loadout. I will break these three down more below.
- BMGs are pretty much more harm than good. Everything is the same color so BMGs make it even harder to see the bombs, BMGs don’t heal enough quickly enough to save people from a second bomb, and this is a DPS race so BMG usage takes away from the DPS without saving any lives.
- Radiation is the best choice because it provides a raid wide damage buff and it stacks. When selecting any other nanos here is a great guide for quick reference.
Method 1 – Single target armor/Single target crit:(Recommended – confirmed kill with this method).
This method focuses on breaking the armor fast to expose the crit spot.
For this method you will focus all of your DPS on the right arm the entire time with your high DPS single target weapon. Then you will switch to a high crit DSP weapon (wolfhound recommended) as soon as the armor breaks.
This method is harder and requires a higher skill level to use, because it requires the most aiming and movement. Your score can get very high with this method because you have to go through both the armor and the health. Here are the recommended weapons for this method:
Recommended Weapons For Method 1 and the Method 3 secondary and optional weapons
Weapons marked with * are my favorite of the choices.
- VBI Assault Rifle*
- VBI TACC Assault Rifle
- FRC Assault Carbine
- Surge Bolter*(I don’t have the math on this, but am pretty confidant this can replace or at least substitute the Wolfhound)
- VOT Thunderer Pistol (Great on the ground, not so great while hanging – Best with 2 loadouts – Added because it’s easy to get – If you find you can’t rapid fire accurately at his arm while he’s hanging, then replace immediately)
Best with Falloff Mod
- FRC Sub-Carbine*
- VOT Pulser*
Method 2 – Explosive HP/Explosive crit (w/ optional 2nd loadout):(Not recommended – confirmed kill with this method – thanks to the xbox kill group).
This method focuses on dealing all of your damage directly to the bosses health by circumventing the armor (that’s my hypotheses anyway). This method is easier than the first method but is less effective (because of the Typhoon). For this method your score cap will be lower because you ignore the armor (hypothetically) requiring less damage output from the group. This method is really only best if 100% of the group is using this exact method and your are trying to kill the boss by completely ignoring the armor.
With this method you will use a Ground Pounder/clusterdrop (+mag mod required) to stick grenades anywhere on the boss and detonate. This method also recommends the perk “Sucker Punch” so you will want to be behind the boss as much as possible – this perk will be noted in the base suggested perk setup.
In addition to a Ground Pounder/clusterdrop (+mag mod required) you will use a Typhoon to deal direct damage to the boss’s health during the hanging phase also circumventing his armor (hypothetically). You will want to use your overcharge as soon as the boss starts to hang and target his hand for 100% crits.
Second Loadout Option:
The second Loadout should contain your Ground Pounder/clusterdrop (+mag mod required) and a high crit DPS weapon (wolfhound recommended). This would be used only after the armor breaks. Use the wolfhound instead of the High DPS armor weapon when he’s hanging, and, depending on which one you are most comfortable with, you can use either the crit weapon or the Ground Pounder/clusterdrop (+mag mod required) while he is one the ground – the Ground Pounder/Clusterdrop is easier but if you’re good with the wolfhound it’s much higher DPS (at this point in the fight).
Recommended Weapons For method 2
- Ground Pounder/Clusterdrop w/ +mag mod (confirmed to be very effective)
- Tyhpoon (Method 3 recommend over this)
- Wolfhound (This replaces the Tyhpoon in the optional second Loadout).
Method 3 – Explosive HP/Single target armor/Wolfhound (2 Loadouts):(This is currently my build and is my current best recommendation).
This is a hybrid of the first two methods and is meant to fill the gap depending on what weapons you have available to you. This method focuses on circumventing the armor (hypothetically) while he’s on the ground and breaking the armor while he hangs. This method’s goal is to help the armor damage dealers break the armor faster while dealing HP damage when the boss is on the ground.
For this method you will want to pick a Ground Pounder/clusterdrop (+mag mod required) and a high single target white damage weapons (see first list). With this method you will use a Ground Pounder/clusterdrop (+mag mod required) to stick grenades anywhere on the boss and detonate. This method also recommends the perk “Sucker Punch” so you will want to be behind the boss as much as possible – this perk will be noted in the base suggested perk setup.
In addition to the Ground Pounder/clusterdrop (+mag mod required) you will use a High DPS armor weapon to aid in breaking the armor for the rest of the group during the Recharging bombs phase (when he hangs) – so we can BRING OUT THE HOUNDS!!! :-)
The second Loadout should contain your Ground Pounder/clusterdrop (+mag mod required) and a high crit DPS weapon (wolfhound recommended). This would be used only after the armor breaks. Use the wolfhound instead of the High DPS armor weapo when he’s hanging, and, depending on which one you are most comfortable with, you can use either the crit weapon or the Ground Pounder/clusterdrop (+mag mod required) while he is one the ground – the Ground Pounder/Clusterdrop is easier but if you’re good with the wolfhound it’s much higher DPS (at this point in the fight).
Recommended Weapons For method 3
- Ground Pounder/Clusterdrop w/ +mag mod (confirmed to be very effective)
- High DPS armor weapon (See first list – I use a burst mag thunder with overcharge for the free reload)
- Wolfhound (This replaces the High DPS armor weapon in the optional second Loadout).
How I use this build:
This build feels really good, the rhythm is perfect! By the time my Det. is on it’s last mag the boss is jumping up for the burn phase. I swap to my high DPS weapon and burn his armor (right arm still) until he drops. Then after the burn phase, while I have no HUD, I will just reload like always and rinse repeat. When the Armor brakes I swap loadouts and do the same thing but with the Wolfhound instead. I used the Ground Pounder/Clusterdrop while he’s moving, and the Wolfhound when he stops. Best of all this build is insanely easy to use, and right from left doesn’t matter when he’s on the ground :-)
Spikes and Stims
- My recommendations are damage spikes and power stims.
- If you like playing support, ammo spikes are VERY helpful to the group – people will love you for these because they will be running Damage.
- If you choose to run a BMG, then a protection spike is a good complement. If the other players are running mitigation perks and a large shield then it can be enough to save someone. But, if players aren’t in the spike then it won’t matter, and the spike CD is too long for a single person to do this every Recharging Bombs – one person can do every other Recharging Bombs.
- If you die bunch and have time to pop a stim use a heal stim instead.
- See the “Basic Recommended Perk Setup for the WM” below for my perk recommendations. If you are good at being mobile and not taking much damage then I suggest swapping out the mitigation perks for damage perks. Swap out in this order: (Thick Skinned:Fortified Stance:Cellular Armor) < Fortitude < Blast Shield.
- If you only have a small shield, are not good at avoiding bombs, and/or are always using aim mode then run either of these perks (in this order):
- Fortitude + Thick skinned (unless you’re getting one shot – make sure it wasn’t two bombs at the same time that hit you – getting hit by the first and last bomb may be more than 3sec apart.)
- Fortitude + Fortified Stance (if you decide you just don’t want to move –> that’s me lol)
- Fortitude + Cellular Armor (if you are getting one shot – by one bomb, and you are always moving when it hits you).
- Even though this should be the perfect place for revive perks, the best option is to release and run back if you die – so I do not currently recommend revive perks.
Basic Recommended Perk Setup for the WM
**Fortitude and Thick Skinned are not necessary, but are in the Loadout for the reasons describe above with one addition: If you are using a weapon that you need to use AIM then fortitude and Thick Skinned is also a good choice because of your more limited vision. If you can hip shoot your weapon the entire time, then choosing two damage perks might be the better choice.**
- Quick Charge
- Killing machine
- Single Minded
- Pumped Up
- Time Out/Sucker Punch
- Blast Shield
- Thick Skinned/Fortified Stance/Cellular Armor
- My current recommendation is to use the largest shield you have. You have a lot of time between bomb abilities so once the waves are done, you’ll have time to passively recharge.
- I tried a lightning shield once, but did not notice any difference on the Drop Shock. HOWEVER, my only big shield on the alpha was a lightning shield so IDK if the bombs were more survivable because of the shield size or the lightning resistance.
How do I summon the Warmaster?
The Warmaster is the boss inside Major Arkbreaks, and Major Arkbreaks are summoned with “Ark Spike Batteries.”
How do I get Ark Spike Batteries?
You can get Ark Spike Batteries through several different methods:
- Vendors – 10k per.
- Daily/weekly reward boxes (achieved just for logging).
- The DLC 2 story quest yields 1.
- The clan achievement for Arkbreaks yield an increasing number as you progress.
Do I have to complete the DLC 2 quest line in order to do Arkbreaks?
No, you do not have to complete the DLC 2 story or buy the DLC 2 to do Arkbreaks – you do however, need those things to summon them and use some of the weapons that drop.
TL;DR Quick Tips
- Run clockwise.
- Focus fire on his right arm.
- If you die extract immediately and run back – don’t wait.
- LOS and ignore adds, focus the boss.
- Use good weapons and perks – see above methods for lists.
Defiance Weapon Range and Falloff Charts
Defiance Charge Blades Guide
Defiance PvP Beginner’s Guide
Defiance Weapons List
Defiance EGO Recharge Time Analysis
Defiance Tips and Tricks
Defiance HP and Regeneration Rates
Defiance Weapon Bonus Rolls Guide
Defiance Shields Guide
Defiance Nano Effects Quick Guide
Defiance Weapon Mods Guide
Defiance Enemy Killing Guide
Defiance Bullet for a Badman Boss Fight Guide
Defiance Data Recorder Locations Guide
Defiance Mine 99 Speedrun Guide
Defiance BMG Power Leveling Guide
Defiance Nim Final Boss Fight Guide
Defiance Scopes and Sights Preview
Defiance Episode 1 and 2 Pursuits Guide
Defiance Episode 3 Pursuits Guide
Defiance Infector Detailed Guide
Defiance Infector Guide
Defiance PvP Stealth Guide
Defiance New Player’s Tips
Defiance Level 5000 Cap Explanation
Defiance Vehicle Tips
Defiance Newbie FAQ
Defiance Weapon Modding Guide
Defiance Synergy List
Defiance Perks List and Builds Guide
Defiance World Map Picture
Defiance Contracts List
Defiance Factions System Guide
Defiance Weapons and Leveling Guide
Defiance Arkfalls Guide
Defiance Effective Legendary Weapons Farming Guide
Defiance Keycode Giving Dynamic Events List
Defiance New Player’s Guide
Defiance Arkfall Codes Guide