Mortal Online 2 Magic Guide
Magic is a staple of Mortal Online and this is only the beginning. 12 magic schools are planned for the game and Ecumenical magic is only the start containing the same 13 spells that were included in Mortal Online 1.
Some key features of magic:
- +50% damage against monsters.
- Have to stand still to charge the spell.
- While mounted, you cannot turn or change speed while precasting a spell. (you will often find yourself riding away from a fight by accident)
- Psyche is the stat that is used to determine your defense against magic and the likelihood of resisting a spell (takes much less damage).
- Intelligence is the stat that governs your spell damage except for mind blast.
- Mind blast has a different damage calculation and is determined by your opponent’s difference between their strength and intelligence stat. (big difference in numbers = big damage)
- Your cast times while mounted are doubled.
- Your mana pool is your int + psyche.
My example character build (dex fat mage mix. Works well on foot and horseback but low hp):
Pure sheevra age 45, max dexterity, minimum height, maximum weight, 111 hp after constitution modifiers.
I also train my character to have max intelligence and the rest of my points go into psyche (it doesn’t reach max)
This build requires the Alvarin reduced age clade gift to work properly
Stats that matter for magic:
Psyche – Magic defense stat that also determines your mana pool and mana regeneration
Intelligence – Magic offense stat that determines your damage and mana pool.
Age – Determines your max stats. Higher age = more intelligence, lower age = more dexterity. Alvarins have an age balancing clade gift that makes age 45 the meta.
Weight – Maximum weight gives +20 int, +20 psyche. If you are a mage you are going to want that damage buff!!!
**Go to the Magic Tutor in haven before you leave and get your 30 free points in magic schools and ecumenical spells!**
Magic Librarians are found in every major town including haven and contain every book you need.
The librarians in Tindrem are located across from the bank inside a large dome roofed building.
- Reading – 10s
- Ecumenical Spells – 10s
- Mental Training – 10s
- Mental Focus – 2g 50s
- Concentration and Focus 3 – 30s
- Mental Offense – 50s
- Vitalism – 50s
Total cost: 4g 10s (includes the reading book)
The Magic Schools book isn’t in this list because you should have gotten it to 30 already in haven at the Magic Tutor. If not, it is an extra 10s at the Magic Librarian.
Order of reading:
1. Reading – read fully
2. Ecumenical Spells – read fully
3. Vitalism – start reading and stop when you learn mana regeneration
4. Mental Training – read to 50
5. Mental Offense – read fully
6. Mental Focus – read fully
7. Concentration and Focus 3 – read fully
Magic Vendors carry most of the reagents you need as well, including your basic spellbook which costs 1g.
The reagents that the vendor doesn’t carry are cuprum, coal, pyrite, and water.
Cuprum can be found from extracting saburra in a crusher and refining the malachite it produces. (more details on the way)
Coal can be obtained in large amounts by refining calx. (also missing extraction details)
Pyrite can also be found from saburra but in small quantities, never carry more than a couple with you at a time… you probably won’t even need it!
Water is of course obtained from nearly any body of water.
The best way for a budding mage to begin their journey is to collect plants and sell them to your local vendors. You can quickly obtain a few gold just by picking up sea dew near meduli, salvia in the mountains, or the blue flowers in the woods. Alternatively, you can kill pigs and butcher their carcasses which will provide about 6-12 silver per kill.