LoL ADC Role Tips by Boyenn
Reference point: http://euw.op.gg/summoner/userName=koning+boyen
I’m not going to give you a full rundown on how to play adc, but rather point out some common mistakes I noticed when I played in lower elo’s that are easy to fix and abuse.
1) Creep wave asynchronisation (when stronger).
I’m not sure if this is the correct term for it, but what it basicly means is that whenever your champion has higher range/damage in lane than the other champion, you don’t want the creeps to die at the same time.
Why is this useful?
Now you have the opportunity to trade with the enemy ADC whenever they go in for a cs, which puts alot of pressure on them and therefore extends your lead.
How to do this :
a) When you’re the stronger one in the lane : You want to make sure that you and the enemy adc aren’t doing exactly the same thing. If the wave is currently synchronized, and you know the enemy adc will only go for last hits, just hit one of the focused creeps once extra before last hitting. This forces that you have to cs at a different time than the enemy adc so you can harass him when he goes in for one.
b) when you’re the weaker one in the lane :
MIMIC THE ENEMY ADC he pushes? you push. he last hits? you last hit. he hits a creep 3 times before dying ? use a spell and last hit it. etc etc. Just try to keep it so that you and him have to cs at the same time so he can’t force a trade on you. You never want to be in a situation where you have to choose between losing a trade, or losing a trade and getting a cs!
2) Creep wave management.
I guess most of you guys know the basics (Push lane when you have to base). But I notice so many people that have no clue about other ways of wave management !
A basic situation :
The lane is even , you have 1650 gold so you want to base to buy that sweet BF and some potions (NEVER FORGET POTIONS).What will you do?
Most of you know that you should be looking to push the wave under the turret and then base. This is a basic thing that most people know. But is this really all there is to it? No.
What happens after you pushed and based? The enemy will be looking to do exactly the same thing. The problem for them however is that since you were the first one to do it, the wave probably won’t have hit your turret before you came back (assuming you pushed hard enough before basing).
Here is where 95% of players I play against make a huge mistake. do not push the lane again! By the time you would have cleared the wave to their tower again, they will be back to pick up that sweet cs and you’ll be even, this means you didn’t take advantage of you having the free base.
Now onto how you can take advantage of it : freeze the lane. Because the enemy has more creeps pushing onto you when you come back, your creeps will die quickly, therefore denying the opponent some cs. Another small advantage created by this is that the enemy has to walk a lot further to actually get back in lane compared to just having to walk to their turret. Another small tip : often you can stop the enemy’s recall and then just dominate the lane or they base later missing 2-3 waves.
What will you do when they come back?
There are two options here.
1.you try to keep the freeze there.
2.you start clearing again and balance out the wave.
No matter which of those you pick, you will have gained the advantage of the free base and you performed it as well as you could. But which one should you choose? This usually depends on whether or not you’re the stronger lane. Stronger ? freeze. weaker? clear.
But there is more to it than this.
- If your champion is weaker in trades but stronger in a full on fight (Vayne is a great example of this). You should also look to freeze it, so you can force an all in.
- If your champion is best when able to push , and good in small trades (Sivir is a great example of this). You want to start pushing again.
- If your champion is something like Caitlyn that can full on zone the enemy if played well, keeping the freeze is usually a good way to destroy lower elo players.
EDIT : This seemed unclear to many people , so I’ll summarize the sequence of recommended actions :
- push under their turret
- come back and freeze the lane
- only last hit until the enemy adc comes back
- either clear again or keep freezing depending on the situation (explained above)
Something else to think about: if you got a kill on bot lane and you were in a pushing state, and you have wards, proxying one wave can give you so much net gold without missing a single cs after basing.
3) Avoid taking damage without returning it!
This happens so much in lower elo’s. I can’t count how often I easily won a lane as Vayne vs Cait just because she wasn’t abusing her range, and was last hitting while I was hitting her. Unless you know your opponent is good and will return it, just harass them when they go in for a cs. Even when the enemy Cait is trying to harass you, if she doesn’t autospace properly, abuse it! hit her back, Caitlyn often loses trades if the enemy hits her back.
4) When you’re on a champion that likes pushing (Cait, Sivir, Lucian(situational), Ashe,…) make sure that you have wards up at all times. Don’t just expect your support to know when to ward. TELL THEM. Communication is one of the most important things in bot lane. This is also why I prefer duo-queue.
Now onto some more champion specific tips :
1) When playing sivir/vayne, make sure you know how to reset your AA timer with using tumble / sivir W!, this makes it so much easier to win an otherwise lost trade because you get 2 auto’s when they can only do one. You want to use your autoattack reset as soon as your attack starts flying.
2) When playing champions that rely on their spells alot (corki QR,graves QWR,lucian QWE,sivir Q,…), try to autoattack in between spells to maximize your damage output. For example , when playing corki you want to AA-eq-AA-R-AA-R-AA….., don’t just randomly use a spell without using an auto attack if it’s possible. I see so many lower elo graves players just trying to burst someone with EQR in lane, and then they’re surprised that they didn’t do so much damage. This is because they missed out on three auto’s ! E-AA-Q-AA-W-R-AA would have done so much more damage.
3) Everyone knows that vayne(my main) has a weak laning phase. Yet I win my lane almost every time, this is because the reason that everyone thinks vayne has a poor laning phase is because of how poorly she is in small trades when she cant get her 3 W’s off. This is true, but you’d be surprised how strong she is in early if you CAN get the 3 W’s off. Vayne has pretty low manacosts compared to her pool, so doing AA-Q-AA-E in lane a couple of times can force a great trade with little to no reply.
Another thing I love doing on vayne is baiting out the enemy’s spells. auto that graves in lane and immediately Q backwards, he will likely have Q’d you anyways, but he missed.
Even more champion specific tips :
- When playing Vayne and you know you will get jumped on in a teamfight by someone with a gap closer. (lets say you’re fighting with their jungle shyvana, and you see an irelia coming in that you know will Q you). the best way to play this imo is rightclick shyvana, rightclick backwards, E irelia (EVEN THO SHE ISNT IN RANGE YET), rightclick shyv, rightclick backwards, E irelia rightclick shyv, infinitely. this makes it so that the moment irelia casts her Q to get in range she gets knocked back (doesn’t even do the Q damage, and can’t E you ! )
- Tumble/graves E / lucian E / … are great spells for dodging skillshots, everyone knows this. But learn to focus on it! Maximising your damage output (for example AA-Q-AA) on vayne may sound like a good idea on paper, but if that thresh still has his hook up, don’t Q until he actually uses it! your dashes are useless if they’re on cd by the time they try to land skillshots on you.
- QSS is just an awesome item on adc’s, especially the ones with low mobility. I don’t get it THAT much because my duo support always rushes mikaels (god I love her) , but if your support doesn’t you kinda want to have a qss every game. Do not assume you will never get hit by that morgana binding!
- You always want to keep track of the enemy support’s exhaust cd timer. But on vayne it’s even more important! Whenever the enemy support doesn’t have his exhaust up, but you have your ult, you should be able to win a 2v2 !
- Never forget that vayne wins about every 1v1, even when behind! Wait in brushes you know they have no vision in when you expect their adc to soloclear the lane and grab that free kill to pull you back into the game!
- In teamfights its usually better to wait 2-3 seconds after the fight started to start dealing damage. The enemies will have used most of their important spells by this time and you can get free damage and solo carry the fight.
If you want to have a longer talk you can also add me in game if you’re from EUW (Koning Boyen).Other League of Legends Articles
LoL Jungler Korea Challenger/Master Builds
LoL Marksmen Korea Challenger/Master Builds
LoL Top Lane Korea Challenger/Master Builds
LoL Support’s Guide
LoL Lane Micro Decisions Guide
LoL Jungle In-Depth Guide for Any Elo
LoL Playing Against Vlad Guide
LoL Ziggs Stop Your Team From Being Snowballed Guide
LoL Riven Combos and Animation Cancelling Guide
LoL Ranked 5s Beginner’s Guide
LoL Map Pressure and Control Guide
LoL AP Ezreal Guide
LoL How to Carry as Support
LoL Roaming as Support Guide
LoL Being A Good Shot Caller Guide
LoL Escaping Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum Guide
LoL Miss Fortune In-Depth Guide
LoL Sion Matchups Guide
LoL Rammus Top Guide
LoL Udyr In-Depth Guide
LoL Improving Map Awareness Guide
LoL Graves In-Depth Guide
LoL Caitlyn In-Depth Guide
LoL Olaf Diamond Guide
LoL Yorick Guide
LoL Pro Riven Combos Guide
LoL Banner of Command Guide
LoL Wukong Solo Top Lane Guide
LoL Tryndamere Diamond II Guide
LoL Anti Heimerdinger Tips and Counters
LoL Azir Guide
League of Legends Vi Diamond Guide
LoL Vayne In-Depth Guide
LoL ADC Role Tips
LoL Trading in Lane Guide
LoL Wukong Jungle Guide
LoL Alistar Jungle Guide
LoL Jungling Fundamentals Guide
LoL Top Laner Warding Guide
LoL Zz’Rot Portal Top Lane Guide
LoL Carrying Yourself to Diamond Guide
LoL Skarner Jungle Guide
LoL Climbing SoloQ Guide
LoL Counterjungling Guide
LoL Cho’gath Jungle Guide
LoL Jungler When To Help Laners Guide
LoL Teemo Beginner’s Guide
LoL Improving in SoloQ Guide
LoL Nocturne Mechanics Guide
LoL Shaco Teamfighting Guide
LoL Zac Top Lane Guide
LoL Improving in Ranked Fives Guide
LoL Vayne Quick Guide
LoL Elixir of Ruin Tip
LoL Season 5 Jungle Guide
LoL Blitzcrank Carrying Guide
LoL Carrying with Support Guide
LoL Gnar Top Lane Guide
LoL ADC Lane Management Tips
LoL Fizz Guide
LoL Developing Mechanics Guide
LoL How to Win Guide
LoL Vi Tips and Tricks
LoL Champion Select Basic Guide
LoL Shot Calling Guide
LoL Win with a Sightstone Guide
LoL High Elo Marksman Guide
LoL Ranked and Midlane Tips
LoL Vi Jungle Guide
LoL Jarvan IV Jungle Guide
LoL Rek’Sai Jungle Guide
LoL Improving Any Champion Guide
LoL Twisted Fate Jungle Guide by Kikis
LoL Lux Support Guide
League of Legends Kikis Jungle TF Rune Page
LoL New Jungle Strategies
LoL Jungle Tier List
LoL Jungle Nautilus Guide
LoL New Jungle Guide
LoL Rune Pages Quick Guide
LoL Improving Your Skill Guide
LoL Ziggs Quick Guide
LoL Malzahar Guide
LoL Janna In-Depth Guide
LoL Soraka Health Regen Sustain Guide
LoL Singed Quick Guide
LoL Rammus Jungle Guide
LoL Bot Lane 10 Common Mistakes
LoL Soraka Diamond 1 Guide
LoL How To Play When Losing
LoL Bottom Lane Dynamics Guide
LoL AP Varus Guide
LoL Carrying as Support Guide
LoL Bot Lane Matchups Diamond Support Guide
LoL Spending Your First 18K IP Guide
LoL Ryze Tips
LoL Bronze to Gold Guide
LoL Bans Quick List
LoL Veigar Tips
LoL Ascension Mode Tips
LoL Ascension Guide
LoL Blue Ezreal Guide
LoL Top 5 AD Carries Guide
LoL Top 5 Supports Guide
LoL Gnar Top Line Tips and Tricks
LoL Jungling Beginner’s Guide
LoL Correct Approach to Bans Guide
LoL Bush Control for Supports Guide
LoL Champions Summary List
LoL Feral Jungle Yi Guide
LoL Climbing Ranked in 5v5 Teams Guide
LoL Ability to Max List
LoL Teamfighting as Support Guide
LoL Riven Skill Order Tips
LoL AD Carry Basic Guide
LoL Feral Flare Fastest Route Guide
LoL Jungling Guide
LoL Warding Guide
LoL Warwick Diamond 1 Guide
League of Legends Starting Item Choices Guide
League of Legends Top Lane Guide
League of Legends Tips to Escape Bronze and Silver
League of Legends Machine Gun Lulu Guide
League of Legends Bottom Lane Tips
League of Legends Gold Rank Guide
League of Legends Silver Rank Guide
League of Legends Bronze Rank Guide
League of Legends Jungle Shaco Guide
League of Legends Roaming as Support Guide
League of Legends Maokai Guide
League of Legends Support Tips
League of Legends Thresh Top AD Guide
League of Legends Riven Basic Guide
League of Legends Elise Builds Guide
League of Legends Support Guide
League of Legends Jungling Basic Guide
League of Legends Twisted Fate Basic Guide
League of Legends Basic Mechanics Guide
League of Legends Minions In-depth Guide
League of Legends Lee Sin Tips
League of Legends Nidalee Top Lane Guide
League of Legends Yasuo Guide
League of Legends Picks and Bans Guide
League of Legends Ideal Masteries Pages Guide
League of Legends Ideal Rune Pages Guide
League of Legends Common Questions
League of Legends Acronyms and Terms Glossary
League of Legends Most Efficient Runes for Maximum DPS
League of Legends Vayne Season 4 Guide
League of Legends Get Out of Bronze and Silver Guide
League of Legends How to be Successful Guide
League of Legends Free RP through Bing Rewards Guide
League of Legends Pro Tips Compilation
When to Build Health, Armor or Magic Resistance? – League of Legends
League of Legends Competitive Rune Analysis and Ranking Guide
League of Legends Disable Skill Shot Arrow Targeting Thingy!
League of Legends Champion Interaction
Singed 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
LeBlanc 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Poppy 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Ryze 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
League of Legends Primary Runes List
Kennen 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Sion 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Blitzcrank 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Kog’Maw 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Cho’Gath 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Master Yi 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Evelynn 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Veigar 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Mordekaiser 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Ashe 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends