Path of Exile Tips and Tricks Compilation
This isn’t really a guide or a complete list of all tips in the game, rather some small ones that helped me out over the leagues. Hopefully this is useful for at least a couple people. :)
Feel free to reply and add your own, I will update this with suggestion
Gameplay keyboard shortcuts
- Ctrl+Click master to open their screen (delve map betrayal board etc)
- Shift+Ctrl+Left click to buy whole stack of currency from a vendor
- Ctrl+Left click door/entrance of an area to see area instances and make new instances
- Right click to hide lvl up icons for gems, it will be at the bottom of your inventory screen
- Press V inside incursions to open the temple map
- Press V inside delves to open the delve map
- Spacebar can be used to quickly close most screens in game.
QoL keyboard shortcuts
- Ctrl+Enter to reply to most recent whisper. Ctrl+Up/Down when the chatbox is open, to scroll all people that recently whispered
- Ctrl+Shift+Enter to reply to party
- Shift+Enter to reply to global
- Ctrl+Alt+Left click an item to link it in chat
- Hover over stashtabs, Ctrl+Scroll to scroll through
- Ctrl+Click passive points to assign without the message box
- left and right arrow keys also changes to it’s respective adjacent tabs
- When you open stash tab list: right click – puts selected tab on first slot of stash list
- When you Shift+Click to unstack currency you also can type the number rather than using sliders
- Shift-Clicking will buy your max amount of Flares/Dynamite from the sulphite machine in Delve. You can buy Flares/Dynamite at Mine Encampment w/o touching Voltaxic Generator – just press H and choose Delve tab. And it’s not always necessary to go into the menagerie – unlocked recipes and the presence of the right beasts can be checked in a similar way.
- CTRL+C while hovering over an item will copy it’s stats, allowing you to CRTL+V (Paste) them into Path of Building or Discord.
- Teleport between safe areas with /hideout /menagerie /delve
- /passives to see all passive skillpoints, after campaign it will show if you are missing any
- /whois <character> to check a character’s stats
- /invite <character> to invite to party
- /reset_xp will reset your XP/hour counter so you can keep track of how well you’re doing xp wise. Very useful for when you take breaks so your afk time isn’t considered into it.
- Quality increases 6socket 6link chance, make your item 20%+ before you start
- Quality currency will add +5% to white item, +2% to magic item, +1% to rare item. Chisel maps before you alc
- Using 1 sacrifice fragment will make a Vaal side area from your mapdevice
- Vaal fragments in map device increase map quantity mod
- You can buy glassblower baubles with whetstones, so really no need to do flask quality recipe; just buy them from a weapons vendor.
- Hover over the active skill gem in your links to see what support gems work on it
- Threshold jewels don’t require you to actually allocate the dex/int/str notes within its range. They just need to be there.
- Turn on “Show mini life bar above you” under UI settings so you don’t have to look down all the way at your globe to see your hp.
- Seal possessed foe prophecies before you fight difficult bosses, Shaper Elder etc.
- Remember, click the altar of ascendency before leaving lab
- Incubator in your second weapon set will not gain kills
- Close map device portals by putting a map in, and remove it before new portals spawn
- Threshold jewels don’t require you to actually allocate the dex/int/str notes within its range. They just need to be there.
- you can level up gems in your second weapon set. Make sure to use those 6 gemslots in your offhand weapons to level some gems, you can level empower, enlighten gems to sell in those slots or duplicates of gems you use so that you can vaal them to get lvl 21 gem or (23% quality). This adds up to a lot of currency early on even if you don’t farm particularly fast early in the league.
If you skipped last league
- Map completion can be done on any tier the map exists on so you don’t have to worry about completing all white maps for completion.
- Terms: influence is when a conqueror spawns on your atlas, taunt is when they appear in your map, after a region is influenced
- Guide to the 3.9 Atlas
- Type region names in stash to search map regions. Or do it in 1 click
- there’s a little arrow you can click above the map mods, so they won’t show all the time
For newer players
- Look to get a loot filter asap. It is a file that highlights useful items for you
- Trade scams are common in PoE. Look carefully at items other player is trading you, never blindly click accept! Here is more detail on scam types
- Know your exchange rates. There is no message box for spent valuable currency. Don’t spend exalted orbs or mirrors on a random item. Check https://poe.ninja/challenge/currency
- Vendor recipes for items. Does not matter which vendor you sell to, they will offer the same result
- Sometimes you can spam orb of jeweler/fusing, it will stop if you hit 6 sockets or 6 links. Don’t spam fusing on 4 links item because it wont stop tho !
- Change global channels with /global <number>. Check the sidebar for useful channels
- Cap your resistances asap, game is balanced around capped 75% fire cold lightning resistances in act 4+
- Vendors sell different gems per class. Mostly. A3 Siosa, A6/A10/Epilogue Lilly sell all gems except Portal Enlighten Enhance Empower
- Set left click move only. It will keep you from attacking on accident when you move or try and pickup loot
- Turn on advanced mod descriptions in options, UI, it let you see tiers and ranges of item rolls on Alt pressed
- Move the minimap with arrow keys
- Click on the skills in your hotbar and check the box “always attack in place” so that even if your cursor is out of range the skill will still go off. Also, put auras in the second hotbar (accessed by holding control) to free up some space. A slightly more niche tip that people can take advantage of is if your running out of space on your hotbar, you can bind a golem to left click (make sure you uncheck attack in place) and move using left click, summoning the golem using shift+left click.
- How to save yourself from using Chromatic orbs
Tips by ArmaMalum
Trending for 3.10 (WIP) ——————
- Large Cluster jewels can only be socketed in the outer sockets of the normal tree and generate medium sockets, and mediums can only produce small sockets. So you can only go large->medium->small and no farther!
- Read a skill’s green text! For example, Withering Step shares a cooldown with Blink skills. So if you trigger Wither Step with CwDT you won’t be able to use Flame Dash for a short period!
- Animate Weapon will inherit all local modifiers of the weapon it’s used on, so a blue weapon with flat added damage will hit harder than a white of the same base.
- Local damage is specifically damage that will adjust a weapon’s listed damage (the number at the top). Any affixes that are conditional (i.e. X added lightning damage per 10 points in Intelligence) is not local damage to a weapon.
- You can use an Orb of Delirium multiple times on a map! Up to 5!
- Cluster Jewel passives do not cost respec points to unallocate. With the exception of keystones.
- Cluster Jewel passives are not anointable and will be ignored by timeless jewels.
- ‘More/Less’ are not the same as ‘Increased/Reduced’. It’s very important to know that. More specific info here
- You will earn either 22 or 24 Passive Skill points through quests in all 10 Acts, depending on Bandit choices.
- Pick one damage skill and stick to it. A good majority of the time it is better to support 1 skill as much as you can instead of 3 different skills a little.
- Life/ES > Damage when planning a tree. Shoot for at least 150% increased max life if life. At least 200% ES if you’re going ES. (Note: This is a personal guideline not a requirement)
- Best stash tabs to buy first are Currency and/or at least one Premium tab. Former for solo play, latter for the ability to sell items publicly easily. Both is even better.
- There is customarily a Stash Tab Sale every third weekend. If on a launch weekend it will be delayed by a week.
- Don’t be afraid to look into an item filter asap. It will save you a lot of headaches.
Act 1 ——————
- You can buy skill gems from Nessa and similar vendors on page 2 of their shop (you may need to do a quest before that page shows up). So don’t fret about the gem choice from the quest reward!
- You can only have 1 spell totem up at a time barring specific effects like Searing Bond or Multiple Totems Support. Up to 3 by default for Ballista totems
- Doing a Trial of Ascendency is league-wide. Meaning doing it once in a league means all other characters in that league don’t need to do it again.
- When highlighting a support gem you’ll notice a popup with all of your current active skill gems. This details what skills the selected support works with.
- If you’re still unsure a support is working with an active skill gem, the skill’s icon on the toolbar will have small boxes denoting what supports are currently active on the skill.
- The medicine chest quest gives you some specific gems (i.e. ancestral call) as well as a choice of flasks (most notably a quicksilver flask).
Vendor Recipes to know:
- 3 health/mana flasks (same type+tier)=1 flask higher tier
- 1 Portal Scroll = 1 Wisdom Scroll
- Iron ring + R/G/B skill gem = Ruby/Topaz/Sapphire Ring respectively
- 1 item with 3 linked RGB sockets = 1 Chromatic Orb
- Blue Wand/Sceptre/RuneDagger + [X resistance] Ring + Orb of Alteration = added flat damage of [X element] (higher ring rarity=higher bonus) on weapon
- Weapon + magic or higher Rustic Sash + Whetstone = Weapon with %Physical damage roll (higher belt rarity=higher bonus)
- Boots + quicksilver flask + Augmentation Orb = Blue boots with 10% movespeed roll. This can be repeated for an additional +5% on the movespeed roll, up to 30% (note that repeats will increase req level to 0/10/12/24/32/44 respectively)
- Orb of Transmutation/Orb of Alteration/Blacksmith’s Whetstone = 4 Wisdom Scrolls
Act 2 ——————
- Support gems increase the mana cost of an ability, more linked supports = more mana spent
- Just because it’s unique does not mean it’s good. Well-rolled rares can and often are better options than uniques. Read the text.
- Mana reservation does not decrease max mana. This is relevant to effects like base mana regen or Arcane Surge.
- You can change your bandit reward later
- Don’t forget to go back to Lioneye’s Watch (Act 1) after you open the south passage. I know I will, but you shouldn’t.
- If you kill all 3 bandits you get +2 passive skill points from Eramir (old dude sitting in Forest Encampment) as opposed to the specific effects from the bandits.
- Dexterity (Evasion) pieces favor green sockets, Strength (Armor) pieces favor red and Intelligence (Energy Shield) pieces favor blue. Hybrid pieces follow this logic
- You can get additional respec points from Orbs of Regret but remember, you need one for every point you want to backtrack. So fully re-tooling your character can get expensive.
- Beasts can be used in beastcrafting after fully completing your first Einhar mission. A particularly useful beastcraft is adding a removal (bleed/freeze/curse/etc) affix to a magic flask.
- Large items (Chests, 2H weapons) cannot roll with 5 sockets until iLvl 35, and cant get 6 sockets until iLvl 50. Even with jeweler’s orbs! You can ‘force’ 6 sockets with the crafting bench but it’s usually not worth it.
Vendor Recipes to know:
- Life Flask + Mana Flask (of same tier) + Orb of Fusing = Hybrid flask
Act 3 ——————
- You don’t have to do the Labyrinth right away. You can come back when you’re overleveled. Many people do this.
- You can only have 1 curse at a time on enemies barring specific effects
- You can respec ascendancy nodes but they cost more refund points per node (5). If you want to change ascendancy completely you’ll need to unspec out of all ascendancy nodes and hit the ascendancy shrine in any version of the labyrinth (hint: Unspec the ascendency nodes in the treasure room, no need to do entire lab unascended).
- Curses always have Less effect on Bosses (e.g. Dominus, Piety)
- You can use Scrolls of Wisdom and other currency like Orb of Chance on Strongboxes
- Completing the quest in ‘The Library’ (connected to the gardens), you will have access to an NPC that sells nearly every skill gem.
- Quality items (whetstone, scrap, bauble) will give 5% to a white item, 2% to magic and 1% to rare/unique items up to 20%. (GCP’s always give 1% to gems) This applies to maps as well!
- Item affixes are reliant on item level, a lower item level means less possible affixes. You cannot improve an item’s iLvl, so stop alteration spamming that iLvl 4 quicksilver flask you got from Act 1!
- You can move the minimap with the arrow keys
Vendor Recipes to know:
- Flasks with a sum quality of 40% or one normal rarity 20% flask= Glassblower Bauble
- Gems with a sum quality of 40% or one 20% gem= Gemcutter’s Prism
- 1 of each Two-Stone Ring = 1 Prismatic Ring
Act 4 ——————
- Barring specific effects, Life/Mana Flask effects will end once you hit full life/mana respectively. This includes effects from affixes like freeze immunity.
- By extension utility flasks, like a quicksilver flask, have affix effect (like Freeze immunity) last for their full duration.
- Read ‘Trigger’ support gems carefully. Cast on Critical, for example, only works with an attack triggering a spell.
- Cast when Damage Taken (CwDT) requires a linked skill’s required level to be under a certain level in order to trigger it. CwDT also requires more damage taken to trigger with higher levels. Many players leave CwDT at lvl 1 for this reason.
- Make sure you have life rolls on some of your gear at this point. (Alternatively, ES focused builds should always shoot for ‘% increased ES’ anytime they can)
- You can craft affixes on gear from the crafting bench in your hideout. This is very important for keeping your resistances capped.
- Skill gems in your alternate set of weapons will also gain exp
- Elemental resistance has a cap of 75% barring specific effects (e.g. Purity of [X] aura). The game is tuned to expect you to be at this cap past Act 4.
- Don’t worry too much about Chaos resistance, it’s not a common damage to be thrown at you. It’s nice to have but isn’t worth sacrificing an elemental res.
- Aqueducts and its later incarnation Blood Aqueducts in Act 9 contain the divination card ‘Humility’ which can give you a Tabula Rasa.
Vendor Recipes to know:
- Skill gem + Orb of Scouring = Skill gem with -1 level
- Skill gem + Orb of Regret = Skill gem at level 1
Act 5+ ——————
- Multiple vaal skills will divide the soul count amongst themselves and as such each skill will charge slower per additional vaal skill equipped. Note: Once a vaal skill is fully charged it will stop taking in souls.
- After progressing through each end-boss fight (Act5/Act10) your resistances will go down by 30% for a total of -60% to all resistances past Act 10, gear accordingly
- Incoming chills, freeze duration and stun chance on you are based on your maximum life barring specific effects. In short, the less max life you have means longer you’ll be frozen / higher chance of being stunned.
- Critical hits guarantee elemental ailments (shock, ignite, freeze) assuming you did enough of that element’s damage to reach the monster’s Ailment Threshold, as shown with Shock here.
- Barring specific effects, Chaos Damage ignores Energy Shield and goes straight for your health.
- Mind over Matter (MoM) and similar effects will only apply to damage hitting your health, so your Energy Shield will still take full damage.
- ‘Low Life’ is defined as 35% max health or lower. Chaos Inoculation is not low life since it reduces your max health to 1 and you can’t be at 0.35 hp. This does make CI eligible for full life effects like Damage at Full Life support.
- Dying after Act 5 will make you lose experience (5% total to next level), but will not decrease your level or put you into a negative value. Higher penalty (10% total to next level) after Act 10
- A corrupted item (using a Vaal Orb) is not alterable. With the sole exception of their sockets. Those can be altered (re-colored/fused/etc) via the crafting bench, but any craft will cost an additional equal amount of vaal orbs.
- By now you should have an “of Staunching” (anti-bleed) and “of Heat” (anti-freeze) flask. They help avoid many of the more common ‘one-shot’ moments you may run into.
- A Divine Orb does not re-roll the numbers completely, they stay within the affix range that was already given. So a 6% Cold Res roll on some boots will re-roll between 6-11% and no higher. Be careful! (NOTE: most legacy gear will also be changed to the current non-legacy version if a Divine Orb is used)
- Lily Roth will sell every buyable gem (similar to but more than Siosa) but all at level 1. (Act 6 town after you do her a favor in Act 6)
- Make sure to look for corrupted 6-link chests when you want to ditch your 4-link or Tabula. They’re much cheaper than a normal 6-link and actually have rolls on them! Just make sure to search for the specific colors you need since you can’t change them easily!
- You can buy Glassblower Baubles from the weapons vendor on the last page in exchange for 8x whetstones
- High quality items have a sliiiiightly higher chance to 6-socket and 6-link. Every little bit helps!
- If you are too far above or below the area’s monster level you will have an experience penalty. Rule of thumb: try to stay within 6 levels of the area.
Vendor Recipes to know:
- Level 20 Skill Gem + Gemcutter’s Prism = 20% Quality Level 1 Skill Gem
- Item with 6 sockets = 7 Jeweler’s Orbs
- Full Rare Set Recipes = (Chance/Chaos/Regal Orbs)
- 7 Vaal Skill gems + Sacrifice Fragment = Vaal Orb
- Hideouts will persist through leagues so feel free to put a decent amount of time getting your abode perfect. It’s not going anywhere.
- The basic hideout locations are listed in the hideout selection when talking to Helena.
- There are a lot of hideouts not listed in Helena’s default selection, most of these rare tilesets are in maps and will not appear everytime. Usually they require a large number of runs to find. (I still don’t have a Tower Hideout…..)
- Hideout instances last much longer (30 min) than normal instances, so don’t worry about a normal disconnect, your map portals will still be there.
Lord’s Labyrinth (Lab) ————-
- If you die you get tossed back to the beginning (Aspirant’s Plaza), unless you’re in a hardcore league, then you are still very very dead.
- Look at the bronze tablet by every door, it will show you a map and reveal where the nearby door goes.
- Izaro has different mechanics in his first two arenas. (Specific Info). The third arena will be a combo of the previous two (with traps included in uber lab).
- Look for hidden rooms on the minimap! They can hold Darkshrines which can give permanent (for the lab run) buffs, a guaranteed unique, less trap damage and more. Hit tab and read the text at the top-right to see exactly what it did.
- Uber (Eternal) Lab has trials that will only spawn in maps, randomly. If you need to get those last few go to Global chat 820 and watch for the trial you need and/or use ‘The Dream Trial’ Prophecy.
- Map layouts and Izaro’s mechanics will change day to day.
- Decorative Chests (marked on the map nodes with a hollow circle) give an item to make the next Izaro fight easier (usually instantly destroying/removing one of the mechanics.)
- Any maps dropped in the campaign will be tier 1. Anything higher can only be received via Zana, inside maps, or inside map-like areas like the Temple of Atzoatl or the Eternal Labyrinth (specifically the chests).
- All mods on maps will make them more challenging, certain mods will be better/worse for certain builds.
- Reflect damage is one of the deadliest mods in the game, and has claimed the lives of many new and experienced players alike. Like certain streamers -cough-
- Always use common currency on maps when you can. Remember that an orb of scouring can get a map back to white for easy 20% quality!
- To use a divine vessel place it into the map device along with the appropriate map (there will be text on the atlas for it) and kill the boss. The filled divine vessel will then be inside the map device still. Don’t forget to pick it up and take it to Sin (Epilogue zone)!
- Using a single sacrifice fragment instead of a map will generate a vaal side area from the map device.
- Using a sacrifice fragment with a map in the device will increase the map’s quantity by 5% per piece, up to 20% for four unique pieces. (You can’t double up the same fragment)
- Sacrifice of Midnight (top-right one) is the most rare of the four. Don’t burn those willy nilly.
- A complete set of sacrifice fragments in the map device will give you access to the Apex of Sacrifice (Atziri fight). This same strategy is also used for Shaper, the Pale Council, Uber-Atziri, etc. (four different fragments of the same set into the map device)
- If you corrupt a map and end up making it unidentified it has the same affixes as before. So make sure to actually read the affixes of a rare red map before corrupting it just in case!
- Running a map unidentified will give an additional 30% quantity bonus. This does not apply to Unique Maps since their affixes are for the most part fixed.
- Leech has a cap! There are ways to increase it but by default you cannot gain more than 20% life per sec or 10% ES per sec. There are lot more calulations involved in that though.
- Sextants are used on watchstones to apply the effect to the entire area the watchstone is slotted into!
- Watchstones can be ‘banked’ in the sidebar on the left of the atlas. They won’t do anything there but it saves you valuable inventory space.
- Incubators in your weapon swap will not gain kills towards their completion.
Vendor Recipes to know:
- 3 of the same map = The adjacent next tier map (can give differing results if more than 1 adjacent +1 tier map)
- 20% Quality Stone Hammer/ Rock Breaker/ Gavel + any map = Cartographer’s Chisel
- Any Amulet + 1R 1G 1B skill gems = Onyx amulet of same iLvl. Can be used with corrupted amulets and will retain influenced base
- 3 of any tier of sextant = 1 of next tier, up to master
Text Commands/QoL ——————sorry console players, I don’t know most of the button bindings for these if they exist. Feel free to share if you do!
- Typing “/passives” will let you see any passive points you have from quests. And after you finish the campaign it will tell you any you are missing.
- [ctrl]+[enter] will let your type out to the person who most recently whispered you.
- [ctrl]+[right-click] or [ctrl]+[left-click] on the door/doorway/gate/ into an area to give a list of all instances for that area as well, more importantly, giving the option to generate a new instance. Newer players: This means you can enter a new ‘copy’ of the area with everything reset. |PS4 Players: Highlight an instance and hit Triangle.||Xbox Players: Highlight and hit Y|
- Right click the level up icon on a skill gem level up notification to hide it without leveling the gem. If you would like to level it up afterwards the gem icon at the bottom of your inventory page. |Xbox Players: after socketing, hit Y to lock gem level|
- To find the tiers and ranges of rolls you must first turn on advanced mod descriptions on options->interface->”Advanced Mod Descriptions”. You then must hit your advanced mod button while hovering over an item to get the pertinent info (default is left alt) |Xbox Players: Hit LS after activating the setting|
- [shift]+[click] on a stack of items to have the option to take only a certain number of that item onto your cursor. This applies both to in your inventory and when removing from your stash. |Xbox players: Highlight item and hit B, hit Y to pick up that amount, X to send that amount to stash if it is open|
- Open chat and hit [ctrl]+[alt]+[left-click] on an item in your inventory to link said item to chat. After hitting enter the person you’re talking to will be able to hover the link and see your exact item.
- [ctrl]+[left-click] on a master to open their relevant window. (i.e. Do that on Niko to open the delve menu)
- Click on a skill in your toolbar and look at the top of the popout. The button labeled “always attack without moving” is a great thing to use on movement skills and some specific primary skills. What it does is if you target a skill out of it’s range it will simply use the skill in the direction of the click as opposed to moving in range and then using it.
- [shift]+[ctrl]+[left-click] a currency in a vendor to buy a whole stack at a time. Save your fingers some torment.
- Holding shift while using a currency will keep the item on your cursor and allow you to spam the entire stack. If you’re accessing your stash at the time you can spam your entire stock of said currency. |Xbox players: With currency picked up, hover an item and hit X|
- Holding ctrl and using the mousewheel will quickly cycle through stash tabs
- Teleport between areas with commands like “/hideout” or “/menagerie” or “/delve”
- Entering “/reset_xp” will reset your xp/hour metric (mouseover your exp bar at the bottom). Very useful for comparing experience rates between maps/mechanics.
- Hitting (be default) ‘v’ will open the relevant menu in each area. i.e. beastcrafting menu in menagerie, azurite upgrades menu in Delve, etc etc.
- POE Wiki
- POELab – Labyrinth daily tracker. Someone else runs the layout and maps it out for you! Also includes shrine locations and Izaro mechanics as soon as they’re found.
- Path of Building – Downloadable, powerful build concept tool
- Path of Building – LocalIdentity Fork – An expanded and more frequently updated version of PoB
- PoePlanner Lighter, online build concept tool
- Trade Macro Popular Price check and trading tool, requires AHK
- poe.trade or poe/trade – Player-to-player item trading site. Latter one is the official site.
NOTE Real money trading (RMT) is NOT supported or accepted by GGG you will get banned when you use IRL money to buy anything in poe that isn’t from their own site/in-game store.
- Vorici Chromatic Calculator A calculator to tell you the most efficient use of chromes for an item
- Mikelat’s Mana Reserve Calculator Online tool to assist with planning mana reservation (also can account for life reserved)
- Filterblade Loot filter customizer
- EngineeringEternity’s Beginner Guide – Widely cited beginner guide. Look for his D3 transition guide as well!
- poe.house – Copyable hideout layouts!
- poemap.live – Handy site for map trading, particularly bulk map trades