Destiny Shotgun Rankings
Destiny Shotgun Rankings by InterimAegis
There have been a slew of questions about the “best” shotgun in Destiny post-patch and in particular, “is Invective #1” (Spoiler: I don’t think it is). Here, I give you some commentary based on my (extensive) experience with these weapons, and I feel this list can be well-applied to both PvP and PvE, though it is geared a bit more towards PvP. Without further rambling, here is a list of great shotguns in order of (personal) preference and an explanation of my rankings:
- Felwinter’s Lie CQB Ballistics/Aggressive Ballistics/Smart Drift Control, Grenadier, Hammer Forged, Shot Package. Maximum range for a shotgun, more impact and stability than a Found Verdict, and to me the ultimate final say in personal, close-range protection. If you land your shot, you are essentially guaranteed a kill, so you can adapt this weapon to many different styles of play; the 6 round mag gives you a lot of Buckshot Bruiser medals. Warning: This weapon generates hatemail.EDIT: Some have commented that Felwinter’s can benefit from full auto to double the rate of fire. I would argue that without shot package (which occupies the same slot as full auto), you are better off with Found Verdict.
- Found Verdict The important perks here are Full Auto + Hammer Forged; maximum range once again and double the fire rate, which makes this the shotgun to use when there are multiple enemies without sacrificing a likely one-shot-one-kill.
- Universal Remote This appears here not because it is the most amazing weapon in terms of perks; it is a very-good-not-great shotgun in terms of stats. What it allows you to do is run with a real sniper rifle. If you are a skilled marksman with solid map awareness, a loadout of Universal Remote, Praedyth’s Revenge, and an LMG can wreak havoc on opposing teams.
- Swordbreaker This is a very balanced and lower impact weapon with a high rate of fire. It allows you to miss with greatly reduced penalty and follow up quickly for the kill; the 6 round mag lets you run around a bit more. Of all the weapons listed thus far, this one lends itself best to a “run-and-gun” style.
- Anything with Hammer Forged + Shot Package (e.g. Secret Handshake, Judgment, Crash) You can roll or buy a legendary vendor weapon with this combination of perks that will be similar to my Felwinter’s Lie (described above). If your weapon has a faster fire rate, it is a hybrid between my Swordbreaker description and my Felwinter’s Lie description. Where these particular weapons fall on my (your) personal list is a matter of taste; I prefer Felwinter’s Lie over, say, Secret Handshake because the higher impact of Felwinter’s Lie gives me effectively more range and flexibility.
- Invective Truly looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, and has very balanced stats. The full auto perk increases its rate of fire, but the 4 round mag coupled with a very slow reload rate can hinder mobility and tactical reaction time. This is indeed a great shotgun, but I personally don’t feel it is worth your exotic slot. I have ranked it this low because it prevents you from using Thorn / TLW / Red Death / Vex / Suros / Gjallarhorn / Truth / Hawkmoon / Ice Breaker / Others (your choice obviously depends on PvP or PvE, etc.).