World of Tanks 7.2 Skills and Perks Guide
World of Tanks 7.2 Skills and Perks Guide by fatkiddown
- Skills – These are in effect immediately upon the start of training. They improve in effectiveness as you increase the % of training in the skill. I.e., they work from the lowest % of xp in that Skill [Note: in a sense, all skills work, period, within the game, even if no crewman is trained in it; selecting a Skill to be trained in, simply improves that in-game ability; &/or, each Skill impacts an already present, in-game attribute].
- Perks – These are activated once you have reached 100% training in the specific Perk. I.e., it will not work at all until 100% maxed. Unlike Skills, some Perks bring features to the game that do not exist otherwise.
By The Numbers:
- There are 25 Total Skills & Perks
- There are 15 Skills
- There are 10 Perks
- 3 Skills all crew members can have: Repair, Firefighting, Camouflage
- 3 Skills are only for the Commander: Mentor, Recon, Jack of All Trades
- 2 Skills are only for Gunners: Armorer, Snap Shot
- 4 Skills are only for Drivers: Clutch Braking, Smooth Ride, Off-Road Driving, Controlled Impact
- 3 Skills are only for Radio Operators: Signal Boosting, Situtational Awareness, Relaying
- 0 Skills are only for Loaders: N/A [Note: Loaders have no specific Skills; albeit, they can use the 3 “All” Skills]
- 1 Perk all crew members can have: Brothers in Arms
- 2 Perks are only for the Commander: Sixth Sense, Eagle Eye
- 2 Perks are only for Gunners: Deadeye, Designated Target
- 1 Perk is only for Drivers: Preventative Maintenance
- 1 Perk is only for Radio Operators: Call for Vengeance
- 3 Perks are only for Loaders: Safe Stowage, Adrenaline Rush, Intuition
Total Skills/Perks Available To Each Crewman:
- 9 Commander
- 8 Gunner
- 9 Driver
- 8 Radio Operator
- 7 Loader
Limit of Crew Skills & Perks:
- Limitless Skills & Perks are available to each crew member, within their alloted set
- It would take 53,776,322.52 xp to get the 9th Skill/Perk.
- Question: How many Skills &/or Perks can each crew member have? Is there a limit?
Answer: I have tried to find this information straight from the Devs, but cannot. I have only read posts by others who have claimed: 5, endless, and, “are you kidding? It’ll take bazillion battles to get them all.” If you can provide info on this, please do.
- *UPDATE 040312* According to Beta Tester, HvyMtlChaos: “Only the Commander and Driver have a possibility of 9 Skills, the rest have 7 or 8 total possible. Also, the link to the wiki confirms my spreadsheet’s calculation for the first skill.” He calls the xp to get the 9th Skill/Perk, “…INSANE! Completing the 9th skill (once reaching it) takes 53,776,322.52 exp!!!”
He goes on to comment on the Mentor Skill stating, “I have not redone the previously posted calculations for the Mentor Skill to analyze it’s effectiveness, but with the total experience numbers a lot higher, it would reason that it would make a much bigger difference than previously thought. This also illustrates the near impossibility of ever reaching the 9th skill…” So, don’t count Mentor out just yet….
Crew Experience: The Grind In Mind:
Some Handy Tools To Calculate XP
- HvyMtlChaos has provided an astute analysis of just what you’ll need to grind to get all possible Skills & Perks for your crew. His work can found: Here
- HvyMtlChaos has also given us an incredible break-down and analysis of how crews earn experience in battle. You can find his keen analysis Here.
- PTwr has shared This XP Calculator to help figure out xp needed to get to the skill desired level.
- Marxist reports that he is now on his 5th Skills/Perks level with his T-26 crew — as of 040512, this crew had 10,537 battles. If you have or know of someone with more, please post here, and I’ll include in the OP.
- Sequence: You can choose to train a crewman in a Skill or Perk. There is no sequence, albeit, there is advice (see below).
- Multiple Skills/Perks & Resetting: A crewman cannot train in another Skill or Perk until the current is maxed at 100% &/or the “Drop Skills & Perks” option is exercised, from the crewman’s “Personnel File” property sheet.
- Dropping/Resetting Skills & Perks: Dropping &/or resetting Skill & Perks can be done for free (maintaining 80% of earned xp), for credits (maintaining 90% of earned xp) or for gold (maintaining 100% of earned xp).
- Not all Skills & Perks are available to all crews in all tanks. E.g., some tanks house only 2 crewmen. In these, one crewman fills the roles of multiple others, such as the Commander filling the roles of Gunner, Loader, etc. In this situation, the specific skills for the Gunner, Loader, etc., will be unavailable to the Commander, who will only have access to Commander-specific Skills & Perks (and, of course, any “All” Skills & Perks).
Repair: Increased repair speed: % depends on level trained & number of crew trained in skill; note: time to repair has apparently been increased
[Pre-7.2 Skill; averaged across crew; note: crews will still repair without this skill, but at the minimum rate and/or with Toolbox equipment — +25% repair speed — alone for faster-than-minimum repairs]
The ability of the crew to repair damaged modules. “Averaged across all crew members” meaning: if a crewman has 100% repair on a crew of 5, then repair speed increase will be 20%. If 2 out of 5, then repair is at 40%. Cumulation: Equipment: Toolbox.
Advice/tl;dr: still considered _the_ most essential skill. Heavies especially need this.
Firefighting: Increased firefighting speed: % depends on level trained & number of crew trained in skill
[Pre-7.2 Skill; averaged across crew; note: crews will still Firefight without this skill, but at the minimum rate]
Improves the crew’s ability to Firefight. The quicker a fire is extinguished, the less damage it does and the less chance to spread to other modules. This skill has no effect on the chance of catching fire, period. Cumulation: None.
Advice/tl;dr: simply put, Consumables: Manual &/or Automatic Fire Extinguishers are more effective. However, if you do not plan to equip these consumables, this Skill is important.
Camouflage: Increased “hide” ability: % depends on level trained & number of crew trained in skill
[Pre-7.2 Skill; averaged across crew; note: crews will still practice Camouflage without this skill, but at the minimum rate; note2: this skill is always active]
Cumulation: Equipment: Camouflage Net.
Advice/tl;dr: still necessary for TDs and snipers; some suggest adding to loaders as secondary skill on heavies, mediums, lights and artillery.
Mentor: +10% xp to crew
[New in 7.2; note: this Skill was called, “Tutor”]
+0.1% to all crew — except Commander — PSL (Per Skill Level). (I.e., @100%, that’s 10% bonus to all non-Commander crewmen.) The bonus is only added forward, for current and future battles — new xp. It does not add this bonus to historical crew xp. It boosts xp gain/does not reduce required xp. Cumulation: None (? does this replace or add to pre-7.2 Commander skill-level boost?).
I.a., _Loner_ offers the following, in-depth explanation, on this skill:
Advice/tl;dr: get 1st for maximum effect; note: training boost is a % of Commander’s level in this Skill, i.e., @10%, crew gets +1% bonus, @20%, 2%, etc.; note2: this skill can be dropped from the Commander at any time, to be replaced by another Skill/Perk; i.e., once you feel crew training is complete; or, once all crew training is accomplished, this Skill has no further function; note3: the Commander gets no training bonus from this skill, only the rest of the crew.
Recon: +2% view range (if optics good)/+20% view range (if optics damaged)
[New in 7.2; note: this Skill was called, “Eagle Eye”; note2: does _not_ increase maximum view range if maxed with all equipment]
+0.02% to view range PSL (or +2% @100%). If observation device is damaged, the skill jumps to +0.2% PSL (or +20% @100%). Cumulation: Skill: Situational Awareness; Equipment: Coated Optics &/or Binocular Telescope.
Advice/tl;dr: good for any vehicle except artillery.
Jack of All Trades: Commander replaces dead/wounded crewmen: 1st crewman 50%, 2nd crewman 25%, etc.
[New in 7.2; note: this Skill was called, “Universalist”;]
Commander can replace and perform skills of dead/wounded crewmen. 1st crewman replaced Commander performs skill at 50%. Each additional crewman replaced diminishes in efficiency, i.e., 2nd crewman 25%, etc.
Advice/tl;dr: good skill for scouts, as crew lost more frequently.
Armorer: -20% damaged-gun dispersion
[New in 7.2; note: this Skill was called, “Master Gunsmith” and/or “Gunsmith”]
Reduces accuracy deficit of damaged gun 0.2% PSL (or -20% dispersion damage @100%). If more than one Gunner has this skill, only highest takes effect. Cumulation: Equipment: Vertical Stabilizer.
Advice/tl;dr: not needed if carrying Consumable: Repair Kit.
Snap Shot: -7.5% gun dispersion due to turret rotation
[New in 7.2; note: this Skill was called, “Steady Hands” and/or “Smooth Turret”; note2:
do not use on turretless vehicles!
This Skill works on both turreted and turretless vehicles! Dispersion reduction caused by turret rotation by 0.075% PSL (or -7.5% @100%). If more than one Gunner has this skill, only highest takes effect. Cumulation: Equipment: Vertical Stablizer.
Advice/tl;dr: best used on mediums; note: works on both turreted _and_ turretless vehicles;
Clutch Braking: +5% traverse speed/vehicle rotation
[New in 7.2; note: this Skill was called, “Ace” and/or “Virtuoso”]
Improves traverse speed/vehicle rotation by 0.05% PSL (or +5% @100%). Cumulation: Equipment: Additional Grousers, Consummable(s): Removed Speed Governor &/or Gasoline.
Advice/tl;dr: Good for non-turreted vehicles (artillery, TDs) or tanks with low traverse (e.g., KV); handy for any vehicle.
Smooth Ride: -4% gun dispersion due to vehicle movement
[New in 7.2; note: this Skill was called, “Cruise Master” and/or “Smooth Driving”]
Reduces gun dispersion caused by movement by 0.04% PSL (or -4% @100%). This figure does not include turret or vehicle rotation. Cumulation: Equipment: Vertical Stabilizer.
Advice/tl;dr: good on lights as possible secondary.
Off-Road Driving: +10%/+2.5% mobility soft/normal ground
[New in 7.2; note: this Skill was called, “Off-Road Master” and/or “Bad Roads King”]
Reduces the penalties from terrain on maneuvering & acceleration by 0.1% PSL, soft & 0.025% PSL, average terrains. Does not apply to roads. Cumulation: Additional Grousers.
Advice/tl;dr: good on lights as possible secondary; note: some suggest this skill made a significant difference during testing.
Controlled Impact: +15%/-15% damage dealt/taken when ramming
[New in 7.2; note: this Skill was called, “Ramming Master”; note2: both vehicles _must_ be in motion for this skill to take affect; note3: this skill does not apply to allies; note4: does not apply when ramming stationary, enemy, artillery]
Decreases the damage caused to your vehicle _while_ increasing the damage done to the rammed vehicle by 0.15% PSL (or +15% damage to/-15% damage from @100%). Cumulation: Spall Liner [note: I could find no evidence on either US or EU wiki or forums that skill: Controlled Impact stacks with Equipment: Spall Liner; I assume it does; if you know, please state]
Advice/tl;dr: great for ramming mediums such as the E-50, however, does not work vs. artillery normally due to mobility factor; some recommend against due to this fact. Personally, I love ramming in my KV-5, and may use there.
Radio Operator Skills:
Signal Boosting: +20% radio signal range
[New in 7.2; note: this Skill was called, “Boffin” and/or “Inventor”]
Increases radio signal range by 0.2% PSL (+20% @100%). If more than one Radio Operator has this skill, only highest takes effect. Cumulation: None.
Advice/tl;dr: Great for lights and good on heavies and mediums; useful on all vehicles.
Situational Awareness: +3% view range
[New in 7.2; note: this Skill was called, “Sonar” and/or “Finder”; note2: this skill has a higher bonus than Recon, but does not have damage bonus of the latter]
Increases view range by 0.03% PSL (+3% @100%). If more than one Radio Operator has this skill, only highest takes effect. Cumulation: Recon.
Advice/tl;dr: highly recommended.
Relaying: +10% radio range for all allies within your signal
[New in 7.2; note: this Skill was called, “Retransmitter”; note2: this skill does not improve your signal range]
Improves the radio signal of allied tanks w/in signal range by 0.1% PSL (+10% @100%). If more than one Radio Operator has this skill, only highest takes effect. Cumulation: None.
Advice/tl;dr: get after Signal Boosting.
[Note: Perks are new to 7.2]
Brothers in Arms: +5% to skill levels
[note: this Perk was called, “Brotherhood”; Ineffective if all crew do not have this perk _and must be at 100% on all; note2: in-game info incorrect! does not affect role-specific secondary skills & perks; note3: some sites state only 3% increase]
+5% increase in primary & non-role specific secondary skill levels _only_ for all crew. Cumulation: None.
Advice/tl;dr: great to have; note: _all_ crew must have it; note2: _all_ crew must have it at 100% or does not work at all; i.e., if you have one or more crewmen maxed in it, it is still inactive — or “off” — until the rest finish it 100%; note3: best to get if open slots available after choosing others; note4: this Perk works even if there are dead crew members;
Sixth Sense: Warning on being spotted: 3 seconds
[note: this Perk was called, “Premonition”; note2: only works at 100%; note3: indicator is red light bulb]
3 seconds after detection, an indicator will pop in the UI showing the vehicle has been detected. The indicator goes away within seconds whether still detected or not. Nothing will show whether or not the vehicle has successfully become hidden again; note: the camo net going active does not necessarily indicate successful “hide.” Cumulation: None.
Advice/tl;dr: great for TDs and scouts. Note: artillery players also swear by this Perk, as it will show whether or not an early scout has spotted you.
Eagle Eye: can spot critical damage on enemy: 4 seconds
[note: “Eagle Eye” was the name of the now “Recon” skill; note2: this Perk was called, “Expert”; note3: this perk does not work in artillery, strategic view mode]
When aiming, after 4 seconds delay, allows the Commander to see critical damage done to the targeted vehicle. Damaged modules appear below targeted vehicle. Cumulation: none.
Advice/tl;dr: not highly recommended.
Deadeye: +3% chance to critical damage
[note: this Perk was called, “Sharp-shooter” and/or “Sniper”; note2: does not apply to HE rounds; note3: applies only to AP & APCR rounds; note4: only works at 100%]
Improves the chance by 3% to damage modules & crewmen critically. If more than one Gunner has this perk, the effect is not cumulative. Cumulation: None.
Advice/tl;dr: great for TDs and slow vehicles with slow reload.
Designated Target: 2 second increase to spotting enemies
[note: this Perk was called, “Nemesis” and/or “Rancorous”]
The duration an enemy is visible is increased within a small section of the gun view, w/in 10 degrees of the direction you were looking, increase is 2 seconds, after spotting has stopped. If more than one Gunner has this perk, the effect is not cumulative. Cumulation: None.
Advice/tl;dr: must-have for TDs; note: apparently, “Designated Target” works with SPGs, but will not work in artillery, “arty mode,” v.i. This makes this Perk less desirable for artillery.
Preventative Maintenance: -25% chance of engine fire
[note: this Perk was called, “Neatnik” and/or “Tidy Person”; note2: only works at 100%]
Reduces the chance of engine fire by 25%. Cumulation: Consumable: Automatic Fire Extinguisher.
Advice/tl;dr: not highly recommended, only useful _after_ Clutch Braking, et al.
Call for Vengeance: spot on enemy lasts 2 more seconds
[note: this Perk was called, “Last Ditch Attempt” and/or “Last Effort”; note2: only works at 100%]
When vehicle is destroyed, & Radio Operator alive, coordinates of enemies are transmitted for an additional 2 seconds. If more than one Radio Operator has this perk, the effect is not cumulative. Cumulation: None.
Advice/tl;dr: this should be the 1st choice for scouts.
Safe Stowage: +12.5% to ammo rack durability
[note: this Perk was called, “Non impact” and/or “Pedant”]
Increased ammo rack durability by 12.5%. If more than one Loader has this perk, the effect is not cumulative. Cumulation: Consumable: “Wet” Ammo Rack.
Advice/tl;dr: this seems to be one of the least favored skills/perks by testers.
Adrenaline Rush: +10% increase to reload speed
[note: this perk was called, “Do-or-Die” and “Desperado”; note2: one source states +10%, another, +9.1%; note3: another source states this perk kicks-in when hp fall below 10%]
Improves reloading time by +10% when vehicle has low hp. If more than one Loader has this perk, the effect is not cumulative. Cumulation: Equipment: Gun Rammer.
Advice/tl;dr: one of the highest rated skills/perk by testers.
Intuition: 17% chance of no wait btwn different ammo loads
[note: this Perk was called, “Hunch”; note2: gun must be completely loaded before this perk can be used again]
17% chance different ammo loading will occur as if no swap had happened (i.e., there is a much longer delay when loading an HE round _after_ having just shot an AP or APCR round). If more than one Loader has this perk, the effect is not cumulative. Cumulation: None.
Advice/tl;dr: considered the worst skill/perk of all by testers.