Facebook Baking Life FAQ and Tips
Baking Life General Tips
How to play Baking Life – FAQ
Here are some commonly-asked questions about Baking Life, taken from our Help tab in the game.
- What is this game about? In Baking Life, you’re the boss! You get to bake delicious goods and hire your friends to help you sell them to customers. As you make money and gain experience, you can improve, grow and customize your bakery in order to become the most successful baker in town!
- How do I make my bakery bigger? Click on one of the expansion arrows along the bottom edge of your bakery.
- Why can’t I get my friends to help me expand my bakery? The first 2 expansions (7×7 and 8×8) are unlocked based on your level and can only be purchaseed with Coins. All the expansions after that can either be purchased with Facebook Credits or by getting help from your friends.
- How do I make money faster? The more customers you are able to serve the higher your Hype rating will go. A higher hype rating means more customers will come to your bakery. If you run out of baked goods, or can’t serve customers fast enough, your hype rating will go down.
- My Hype isn’t going up. What can I do? If your customers keep leaving with a frown, try rearranging your bakery. It may be that your cash registers are too far away from the door or that your display cases are too far away from your cash register. Experiment and see what works best! You can also visit your friends’ bakeries and see how they’ve organized their space. If your customers are leaving happy but your hype isn’t going up, try leaving the game open to give a chance for your hype to increase. The maximum Hype rating is 220.
- How do I prevent my Hype from dropping? To keep your Hype up, you need to always have food available for customers to buy in your display cases. You can also prevent your Hype from going down by closing your bakery (although you also won’t be earning any money). To close your bakery, simply click on the ‘Open / Close’ sign attached to the rightmost wall.
- How quickly will my baked goods burn?
After they are done baking, your baked goods will burn 1.2 times as fast as they took to bake. For example, the Cinnamon Rolls bake in 5 minutes and will burn 6 minutes after that.
- How do I get tips? You get tips for working in your friends’ bakeries. To get hired by a friend, you need to click on the ‘Help Wanted’ post in the Facebook feed. Once you are hired, you can visit your friend’s bakery once per day and click on the Tip Jar (next to the cash register) to collect your tips in addition to the Money Bag coins. Even if you don’t work in a friend’s bakery, you can still collect the Money Bag once per day.
- How do I rearrange my bakery? Click on the ‘Edit Bakery’ button in the lower right corner. Then click on an item in your bakery, which will make a menu appear with the following options: ‘Move’, ‘Rotate’ and ‘Put Away’.
- How do I change the color or style of an appliance? Click on the ‘Edit Bakery’ button in the lower right corner, then click on the appliance you want to replace and click ‘Put Away.’ Then click on the ‘Appliances’ button in the top right to buy or place a replacement appliance.
- How do I sell or gift extra decorations and appliances I no longer want? Right now, that feature isn’t available although that is something we will be adding in the future.
- How do change the way I look? You can customize your appearance by clicking on your avatar (the baker), which will bring up many different options including faces, hair styles, accessories and clothes.
- How do I get more Facebook Credits? There is no way to get Facebook Credits by selling baked goods. You can purchase Facebook Credits by clicking on the ‘Get more Credits’ button.
- Why can’t I send more gifts? Facebook limits the number of Baking Life gift requests and invitations you can send to your friends per day. (If it were up to us, we would let you send as many gifts as you want!) If you have reached your limit for the day, please come back tomorrow and you should be able to send more gifts and invitations.
- I accepted many gifts but I only see a few in my Gift Box, where did my other gifts go? When you accept gifts from your friends, gifts of the same type get combined and an indicator will show you how many gifts you have. For example if you accepted Layered Chocolate Cake from Alice, Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins from Bob and Layered Chocolate Cake from Charles, your Gift Box will show 3 gifts: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (x1) and Chocolate Cake (x2). Clicking ‘Serve’ will let you serve one gift at a time.
- Who wrote this great music? The music and sound effects were created by Carmen Caruso.
Hype – What it is and what causes it to change
Hype is a rating of how well-loved your bakery is. The higher your Hype is, the more customers you will see. Hype goes up when people are served quickly, and will drop if a customer leaves the bakery angry.Your hype will only change (either go up or down) while the game is running in your Web Browser with your bakery open. If your Hype has dropped recently due to you running out of food, for instance, but the reason it dropped has been fixed, it may take a few hours of the game running for your Hype to increase back to where it was. But because Hype doesn’t move while the game isn’t open, your Hype will not drop even if you run out of food while you’re away.
Your bakery layout also affects your hype. If you re-decorate and notice your Hype drop, it may be worth taking a step back and looking at why this may be happening. Make sure that your registers, tables, and coffee machine aren’t blocked and that your cashiers don’t have too far to walk to access the display cases with the new layout.
You can oftentimes discover the cause of the hype dropping by paying attention to where customers leave from when they are angry. Try moving that location closer to the display cases and the door. If you are high enough level, try buying another register to be able to serve more customers quickly.
See this thread for more information about the icons that appear above customer’s heads that may help you gain insight into why people may be leaving angry.
Many people still seem confused or misunderstand the purpose of Temp Workers. They will ONLY appear because you are making your Bakery more productive, either by expanding in size or adding services such as Registers, Tables & the Coffee Machine.
You need staff to operate these additions & the Temps provide the means to do so. By clicking on them & sending a job offer request to one or more of your friends, you provide employment for the first one to respond, which in turn reduces your costs via wages, increases your productivity & also provides a bonus for your friend in the form of Tips. This is why it’s so important to convert them as soon as possible.
Bakeries require Cashiers, Baristas, Waiters & Cleaners (Sweepers) to function so as each Temp is converted they will take on a role as required, with other staff sometimes getting a promotion along the way. EG – Bill is a Sweeper, you finish building your Decaf upgrade & get another Temp. Betty accepts the job & becomes a Sweeper with Bill getting promoted to act as a Barista. It really doesn’t matter which job your friends do as the bonus to them is exactly the same.
As each friend can only accept one job, you will obviously need sufficient friends/neighbours who actively play to fill the positions, & as they’re also required for other additions such as Appliances it shouldn’t be a major issue. If however you are finding it hard to recruit, you will need to acquire more via any of the Add-Me threads, support groups or friend suggestions.
Other than Temps, Sweepers are the most maligned for being idle, but as they are also responsible for cleaning Tables there must be enough custom to provide them with work. Idle staff, regardless of their role, are more of a symptom rather than the cause, which needs to be identified & addressed accordingly.
I’ve said often this is a game of management. You need to manage your goods, your layout & your staff. Temps show that you are building your business & you need to manage them as you would any other employee. Without them, you would be stuck on level 1 & going nowhere…. You can’t lose ’em so use ’em….