FFXIV Savage Raiding Tips by J3Patino
A few months back was my first time to get into Savage Content (for Alex A9-12s). I was late to the party. Now based from what I’ve read there are a LOT of new raiders in this tier – so I just want to offer things I’ve learned so far. Since from normal, going into savage is a big step. So here it goes:
Overview: You will undergo 3 phases in each fight. Learning, Progression and Clear. At each phase your mindset, preparations and priorities in the fight will change as follows:
1. Watch a video on Youtube. There are plenty of guides from Xeno and MTQcapture. Yes it will be overwhelming. That’s okay. You can do it. Just learn it one phase and mechanic at a time. (Xeno explains stuff better, but longer). But MTQ releases videos earlier.
2a. Go join a learning party. In the fight your primary goal is to not die. Dps comes later. (You can’t dps is you’re dead anyway.)
2b. When you’re not with a Party. Practice your rotations. Go and beat the Stone Sea and Sky dummy a few times. (Read a guide about your job if you haven’t done so already).
On Progression: Moving towards the later boss phases. (Keeping doing the stuff above but remember to… )
- Rewatch the video guides. For sure there are things that you missed the first time you watched it. This is for the new incoming mechanics. Scroll down for the video comments as well because the community always has some new info to add to the guide.
2a. In earlier phases when you never die already… go and push DPS.
2b. Watching POV (point of view) videos will be helpful here also. Joining fresh learning parties, just to master your rotations is also good.
- Make sure you can survive the phases without relying on discord call outs. Relying on discord is helpful at the start but it will hold you back if you depend on it every single time.
- Ask questions if you don’t understand something. It’s OKAY to not know, just keep on learning.
- If you are just using PF, be patient with other people. If its clear that other people are still at an earlier phase than you, then be patient. Just use the time in to practice and maximize your rotations.
The Clear: Only join if you’re confident of all mechanics and you rarely die. Even better if you’ve seen enrage.
- Eat good food and come with fully melded gear. This is savage content! Unlike normal content, every bit of HP, MP, and damage matters. (You would hate to see a boss at 1-3% and wipe just because of low dps/ that one death/ etc.).
Yes, food and materia are expensive, but pretty much all end-game stuff are. Want a nice house – you gotta spend for it. Want to be a master crafter, you gotta spend. Same thing goes for end game raiding. Bring your best.
- Overcoming the “No Bonus” PFs. If you’ve been to enrage, do a good job throughout the fight, but you just have trouble finding 7 other people at your same skill level… then feel free to join “No Bonus” groups – BUT say it right when you join.
Something like – “Hi, I haven’t cleared, but been to 1% – can I get a chance here?”
Some will say yes some will say no. Most will give you a 3-strike rule or something. So do your best :)
(Of course don’t lie about your progress in the fight – because it will just show when you get inside. And that would make you waste other people’s time…. so don’t do that haha).
Final Tip All the fights are harder the first time you see them. So just be patient with yourself and especially with others.
Personally I find end game raiding to be super fun and fulfilling. You’ll hate the fights, then you’ll love it. Then you’ll get bored with it (hopefully by the time the next patch drops).
Hope this helps!Other Final Fantasy XIV Online (FFXIV) Articles
FFXIV Favors Comprehensive Guide
FFXIV Strength Based Tanking Guide
FFXIV Classes and Jobs Beginner’s Guide
FFXIV Heavensward Coil Guide
FFXIV Collectables Guide
FFXIV Aetherial Reduction Guide
FFXIV Airship Guide
FFXIV Catching Up To Patch 3.0 Guide
FFXIV Ravana Extreme Guide
FFXIV Astrologians Guide for Non-AST Players
FFXIV Astrologian Guide
FFXIV Machinist Guide
FFXIV Dark Knight Tips
FFXIV Preparing for Heavensward Guide
FFXIV Steps of Faith Full Guide
FFXIV Binding Coil of Bahamut Guide
FFXIV Final Coil of Bahamut Guide
FFXIV Second Coil of Bahamut Guide
FFXIV ACT and Plugin Guide
FFXIV Summoner Egis Tips and Tricks
FFXIV Triple Triad NPC Conquest Guide
FFXIV Chocobo Rank and Rating Guide
FFXIV Chocobo Stat Growth Guide
FFXIV Chocobo Breeding and Raising Guide
FFXIV Chocobo Racing Basics Guide
FFXIV Triple Triad Getting to 30 Cards Guide
FFXIV Triple Triad Guide
FFXIV Crafting Beginner’s Guide
FFXIV Master Crafter and Gatherer Guide
FFXIV World of Darkness Tips
FFXIV Battle in the Big Keep Guide
FFXIV World of Darkness Boss Guide
FFXIV Snap Aggro Guide
FFXIV T13 Scholar Guide
FFXIV ilvl 110 Guide
FFXIV Raising iLv Quickly Strategy
FFXIV Leveling and Gearing in 2.4 Guide
FFXIV Older Endgame Guide
FFXIV Improving at Warrior Guide
FFXIV Spiritbonding Advanced Guide
FFXIV Sastasha HM Karl Boss Guide
FFXIV New Level 50 Player’s Progression Guide
FFXIV Imdugud Strategy Guide
FFXIV Melds Gathering Guide
FFXIV Soot Black Chocobo in 24 Hours Guide
FFXIV Crafting Guide
FFXIV Turn 9 Tank Strategy Guide
FFXIV Frontlines Roles Guide
FFXIV Black Mage Rotation Guide
FFXIV Frontlines PvP Guide
FFXIV Game Controller Targeting Tips and Tricks
FFXIV Hullbreaker Isle Tips and Boss Guide
FFXIV Tam-Tara HM Tips and Boss Guide
FFXIV Stone Vigil HM Tips and Boss Guide
FFXIV Hullbreaker Isle Guide
FFXIV New Player’s Guide
FFXIV Getting a Static Guide
FFXIV Accuracy Caps List
FFXIV End Game Food Caps Guide
FFXIV ARR Survival Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Dzemeal Darkhold Speed Run Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Short Leveling Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Exploration Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Boting (Botany) for Gil Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Goldsmith Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Party Recruitment and Search Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Leatherworker Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Lore Compilation and Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Solo Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Food Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Goldsmith Grinding Guide
Final Fantasy XIV King Moogle Strategy Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Sidequest Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Notorious Monsters Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Enmity Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Weaponskills and Magic Combo Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Archer Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Sidequests List
Final Fantasy XIV Achievement Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Lodestone Achievement Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Stats Guide