Clash Royale Miner Complete Guide by BraedoN
Hello everyone, this post will be a detailed guide focusing on using, countering, and learning more about the miner.
Some things about me:
- The miner was the first legendary I ever received, and I have been attached to it ever since
- I have gotten to and stayed above 4000 trophies with cards at 9/7/4/1 and 10/8/5/2
- 15k cards won from tournaments (mostly pre-update brenchongs), and 4K from challenges (almost all using the miner)
- I consider myself a “miner enthusiast,” more than half of the decks I make use him
Background Information – Miner
|Hit Speed||Speed||Deploy Time||Range||Target||Cost||Count||Rarity|
|1.2 sec||Fast||1 sec||Melee||Ground||3||1||Legendary|
|Level||Hitpoints||Damage||Damage per second||Crown Tower Damage|
1 – Balance History of the Miner
5/18 – Hitpoints increased by 6%:
The Miner is a really fun card and people are still figuring out the best uses for him. He’s in pretty good shape overall, but a few more hitpoints should help him find his place in the Arena.
Reasoning: The miner was still very new to the game, and supercell thought it would be a good idea to give it a little boost. Nothing big here.
(No exact date) – Miner deploy time reduced to 0.7sec (from 1sec)
Reasoning: Accidental change by supercell, which was fixed.
8/24 – Deploy Time increased to 1sec (from 0.7sec), Hitpoints decreased by 6%:
We’re fixing an unintentional deploy time change, and in doing so making the Miner a bit easier to react to once again. Additionally, it’s become clear that the Miner is quite strong and could do with being toned down a notch.
Reasoning: This update was known for a while as the “payfecta nerf” update, where the ice wizard, princess, and miner were all nerfed. They fixed the unintentional deploy time bug as promised, an delivered a small nerf to him since a small portion of the community claimed he was overpowered.
Overall, the miner does not have a vicious or gracious past of balance changes, and is generally considered a balanced legendary card.
2 – Popular Miner Decks & Subtypes
The miner best fits into control, and a very specific brand of siege and beatdown decks since it is very fast and cheap, but also weak. Based on this, there won’t be very many siege / beatdown decks that heavily incorporate the miner in most cases, aside from lava hound beatdown.
– Miner Cycle / Miner Chip Decks: Most of these decks focus on using the miner along with several low elixir-cost troops, so that the user can cycle back to the miner to chip damage off of the tower.
– Lavahound Decks: In these decks, the miner’s job is almost always to tank hits for the lava pups. This combo can be very hard to break if the opponent has little air defense, and usually can result in a tower taken in one push, if executed perfectly.
– Zap Bait Decks – The miner’s role in these decks is to tank hits for a mass of low health units, such as skeleton armies, minion hordes, goblins/barrels, and graveyards.
– Three Musketeer Decks: The miner’s job is to tank one of the tower’s hits for a musketeer in a split push, to overwhelm the opponent.
3 – Strategies with the Miner – Offense & Defense
About 60% of the time, the miner will be sent to one of the four sides of the tower to either tank for support troops / a counter-push, or to chip damage. This is typically the most effective way to use him, with his high hitpoints and below medium single targeting damage, so that it can tank for fast units with low HP and high damage.
~30% of the time the miner will be sent in to kill weak troops such as princesses, or even support troops on the back line such as musketeers, ice wizards, etc.
Chipping off the tower with something else tanking – this is not usually recommended as the miner is not very hard to kill, but if you need extra damage, you can always throw him right at the tower for moderate damage, while your main tank takes all of the damage.
Finally, this is not the most practical strategy, but a very effective one undoubtedly. Using the miner to destroy / tank shots from buildings (inferno tower) for a main tank like a giant isn’t too uncommon. If timed and positioned right, you can get insane value from the miner, making your entire push more effective.
There is one spot where the miner will not get targeted by the king’s tower after one of the opponent’s crown towers are down this is the spot for either tower
The miner’s role on defense is pretty straightforward, as he can almost take the place of a knight.
Killing mini tanks – the miner has a moderate DPS and is not all too bad at killing things like hogs, Valkyries, knights, and more when needed.
Tank and splank OJ’s video– A strategy where you use the miner to distract a splash damaging unit, and then using lower HP swarms to kill them from the other side.
Kiting units: In desperate situations, the miner can kite most troops to the other side if positioned correctly, in order to save your tower from taking too much damage.
Taking sparky shots: Again, a very desperate scenario, but the miner can take a sparky shot, forcing her to take 5 more seconds to reload. Not typically a recommended strategy.
4 – Regular & Double Elixir – Playstyles
The miner is generally used in control playstyles, which usually does well in both regular and double elixir because of the cheap & quick cycling troops usually involved.
Regular Elixir: You want to be more conservative with your elixir, since making too big of a mistake (such as expending too much elixir on a bad push) can definitely cost you a tower worst case. In control decks, this is hard to recover from.
Double Elixir: Defense should come naturally in most decks, focus on minimizing damage done to your towers as much as possible, and then using leftover defensive troops as a counterpush, usually tanked for by the miner.
5 – Ladder vs Tournaments
The miner is naturally much better in tournaments, with the increased battle & overtime length. This allows for the miner to do so much more damage over time, since the miner can be very hard to prevent from chipping at least little amounts of damage.
6 – Synergies with the Miner
Skeletons, goblins, spear goblins, skeleton army, minions, minion horde – Fast swarm troops work well with the miner, since he tanks for them while they hope to get to the tower and do big damage.
- The best way to play this combo is to first bait out the enemies spells and splash units, so that they have a hard time taking care of the support.
Mega minion, bowler, knight, valkyrie, other primarily defensive units – Just before these units cross the bridge, drop your miner on their tower so that it will tank for these troops, giving you even more value from them.
Ice spirit, ice wizard – While the tower is targeting the miner, these will slow it down while doing damage, allowing him to get in even more chip damage if not dealt with properly
Fireball, lightning, rocket, tornado, arrows, log – The miner can be great at forcing your opponents to use defensive cards.
- You can use the miner to chip tower damage, AND have a spell do damage to the tower too, which can do a lot of damage for a small (typically) elixir disadvantage.
- Be careful not to put yourself in too bad of an elixir disadvantage!
3 Musketeers – The miner is a great and very versatile mini tank, and as a result it can be turned into a quick tank for either side of your split push.
- An amazing strategy for split pushes, normally overwhelming the enemy.
Graveyard & Goblin Barrel – The miner will tank for the weaker goblins & skeletons so that they can do a lot of damage to the enemy’s tower.
7 – Suggested Decklists
I’ll separate this by the already mentioned miner deck subtypes:
Miner Cycle / Chip Cycle Decks:
- Deck 1: Miner, Ice Wizard, Princess, Goblins, Fire Spirits, Inferno Tower, Zap, Mini Pekka
- Deck 2: Miner, Princess, The Log, Goblins, Ice Spirit, Inferno Tower, Lumberjack, Zap
- Deck 3: Miner, Rocket, Mega Minion, The Log, Archers, Ice Golem, Ice Spirit, Inferno Tower
- Deck 4: Miner, Mega Minion, Bowler, Guards OR Archers, Inferno Tower, Fireball OR Rocket OR Lightning, Zap OR Ice Spirit, The Log
- Deck 1: Lavahound, Miner, Mega Minion, Tombstone, Lightning, Arrows, Minion Horde OR Minions, Ice Wizard OR Princess
- Deck 2: Lavahound, Mega Minion, Miner, Tombstone, Minion Horde, Minions, Lightning OR Arrows, Fireball OR Zap
Zap Bait Decks:
- Deck 1: Miner, Princess, Fireball, The Log, Minions OR Minion Horde, Goblin Barrel, Inferno Tower, Skeleton Army
- Deck 2: Miner, Princess, The Log, Zap, Furnace, Minions OR Minion Horde, Skeleton Army, Goblin Barrel
- Deck 3: Miner, Mega Minion, Inferno Tower, Graveyard, Fireball, The Log, Bowler OR Archers, Skeleton Army OR Ice Golem
8 – Countering the Miner
The best counters to the miner are ones that are able to dish out damage to quickly kill it, even better if they are not instantly zappable.
In my opinion, the absolute best counter to the miner, with the recent poison nerf, are guards, since no spell can get rid of them in one hit, and at tournament levels the miner takes three hits to kill each guard.
The best strategy for countering the miner is to drop the troop behind the tower before he pops up, if you know that he is coming. This way, the unit will have time to walk to the miner. Mini tanks such as valkyries, knights, mini pekkas, lumberjacks, and princes are also very effective at countering him. Dropping an ice spirit is insanely helpful at preventing the miner from hitting your tower, since it forces him to retarget if the other troop gets close enough.
The bowler, fireball, and the tornado can force the opponent’s miner to activate the king’s tower in the right circumstances, which will usually give you a major advantage over the opponent.
- Troops that are GREAT at countering the miner: Knight, Guards, Valkyrie, Mega Minion, Mini Pekka, Dark Prince, Bowler, Lumberjack, Tornado, Ice Spirit (with another troop)
- Troops that are GOOD at countering the miner: Archers, Skeleton Army, Miner (of your own), Skeletons, Goblins, Bomber, Minions, Ice Wizard, Musketeer, Prince, Minion Horde, Witch, Wizard, Inferno Dragon, Baby Dragon, Barbarians, Ice Golem (can force a retarget)
- Troops that are BAD at countering the miner: Fire Spirits (solely because they’re better used against swarms), Spear Goblins, Graveyard
9 – Additional Tips & Fun Facts
In this section, I’ll add a few fun facts, and will puts answers to good questions/notes in the comments here.
- The only spell capable of completely killing a miner, at tournament levels is a rocket.
- The miner is the only unit that can be placed anywhere in the arena, since the goblin barrel is technically a spell
- Unless the opponent counters, the miner is usually the best counter to the elixir pump, which is why it probably had higher use rates before the recent elixir pump nerf
- The miner was added to the game on May 3rd, 2016
- Zap + Miner can kill several crucial enemy support troops such as witches, wizards, and musketeers on their side of the map, at tournament levels!
- When using your miner to destroy an elixir collector, the first hit destroys two elixir, the second hit removes another elixir, third hit removes another elixir, fourth hit removes one, the fifth takes two away, and the sixth one finally destroys it.
- The miner will oneshot goblins if they are one level lower
- When attacking the tower, the miner will not be as close, so if something forces the tower to retarget, it will aim for skeletons/goblins instead. This is not the case with units like minions, mega minions, guards, or anything ranged.
- There is only one tile that will allow for both of the crown towers to shoot the miner. The circled spot is the worst place for the miner in most cases.
- When playing miner, try to switch up where you safely place it around the tower, so that the opponent has a much harder time countering it.
- This secret miner placement is useful when you see an opponent with an elixir pump right next to their king’s tower. This can also be called the “miner gamble spot”, since it is very risky. These are the spots from both angles. WARNING: If the opponent doesn’t counter, your miner will activate the king’s tower.
10 – Conclusion
That’s the end of this strategy post, I hope this was very helpful for all players with the miner, new or experienced! This guide took me several hours, so all feedback and criticism (keep it constructive please) is accepted!
If there is anything else you would like to see in this post, or any more fun facts you would like added, let me know in the comments and I’ll add them if they are relevant.
Thanks for reading!Other Clash Royale Articles
Clash Royale Lane Pressure Comprehensive Guide
Clash Royale Countering Graveyard Freeze Combo Guide
Clash Royale Pekka Guide
Clash Royale Bomber Guide
Clash Royale Goblin Barrel Guide
Clash Royale Deck Building Tips from Pros
Clash Royale Inferno Dragon Strategy Guide
Clash Royale Counter Elite Barbarians Guide
Clash Royale Electro Wizard Challenge Tips
Clash Royale Furnace Complete Guide
Clash Royale Graveyard Comprehensive Guide
Clash Royale Miner Complete Guide
Clash Royale Lava Hound Basic Guide
Clash Royale Musketeer and Ice Spirit Techniques and Combos
Clash Royale Ice Golem Advanced Techniques and Combos
Clash Royale Giant Bowler Decks and Counters Guide
Clash Royale Lava Hound Ultimate Guide
Clash Royale How to Use Every Legendary Guide
Clash Royale Mega Minion Guide
Clash Royale Inferno Dragon Guide
Clash Royale Sparky Elixir Management Guide
Clash Royale Ice Spirit Strategy Guide
Clash Royale All Tank Units Guide
Clash Royale Log Spell Guide
Clash Royale Using Each Card on Defense Guide
Clash Royale Sparky Troop Countering Strategies Guide
Clash Royale Global No. 1 Deck Guide
Clash Royale Ice Spirit Guide
Clash Royale Terminology List
Clash Royale Hidden Card Stats List
Clash Royale Slot Method Deck Building Guide
Clash Royale Identify Opponent’s Deck From Opening Move
Clash Royale Lava Hound Tips
Clash Royale Tournament Mode Rewards Analysis
Clash Royale Tournament Chest Payouts List
Clash Royale Sparky Analysis and Guide
Clash Royale Sparky Comprehensive Guide
Clash Royale Reading Your Opponent Guide
Clash Royale Legendary Tips for F2P Players
Clash Royale Furnace Swarm Legendary Deck
Clash Royale Princess Tactics and Tips
Clash Royale Four Factors To Reaching Legend
Clash Royale Balloon Strategy Guide
Clash Royale Giant Musketeer Mini Pekka Legendary F2P Deck
Clash Royale Tips For Legendary Arena Tryhards
Clash Royale Managing Your Resources Guide
Clash Royale Card Upgrade Costs List
Clash Royale Card Levels And Important Upgrades Analysis
Clash Royale Hog Valkyrie Musketeer Trifecta Legendary Deck
Clash Royale Legendary Arena Meta Decks
Clash Royale Lava Hound Control Deck Legendary Guide
Clash Royale All Cards Strategy Guide
Clash Royale Target Separation Technique Guide
Clash Royale Giant Skeleton Strategy Guide
Clash Royale Sparky Guide
Clash Royale Entering Legendary Arena Guide
Clash Royale Fire Spirits Guide
Clash Royale Tombstone Uses Guide
Clash Royale Legendary Arena Most Effective Decks
Clash Royale Tips For Hitting Legendary
Clash Royale Deck Building Template And Guide
Clash Royale Best Counters For Every Card
Clash Royale Countering Royal Giant Decks
Clash Royale Countering Hog Rider and Freeze Decks
Clash Royale Time and Elixir Management Guide
Clash Royale Tips For Reaching Legendary Arena
Clash Royale Giant Skeleton Usage Guide
Clash Royale Countering 3 Musketeers Tips
Clash Royale Hog, Freeze and Valkyrie Deck Guide
Clash Royale Useful Gameplay Tips
Clash Royale Lava Hound Uses and Counters Guide
Clash Royale Countering The Popular Decks
Clash Royale Climbing Trophies Guide
Clash Royale Countering Royal Giant Guide
Clash Royale Shop Card Prices Detailed List And Analysis
Clash Royale F2P 2500 Trophies Hog Zap Deck With No Epics
Clash Royale Legendary Hog Beatdown Deck
Clash Royale Card Collection Principles
Clash Royale Dealing With Stress And Tilt Guide
Clash Royale Deck Building Guidelines With Any Cards
Clash Royale Meta Analysis In Each Arena Level
Clash Royale Helsinki Tournament Champion’s Deck And Replays
Clash Royale 3000 Trophies Arena 5 Deck
Clash Royale Hits To Kill For Tournament Cap
Clash Royale Card Tier List
Clash Royale Beginner’s Battling Tips and Guide
Clash Royale Card Counters List
Clash Royale Tips and Strategy
Clash Royale Basic Tips
Clash Royale Hog and Freeze Arena 8 Deck
Clash Royale Deck Archetypes and Counters Guide
Clash Royale Deck Building Guide
Clash Royale Control Witch F2P Deck Guide
Clash Royale Chest Drop Cycle Guide
Clash Royale Spending Your Gems Guide
Clash Royale Free Player Success Guide
Clash Royale Deck Types Metagame Guide
Clash Royale Basic Strategy and Playing Smart
Clash Royale Plays and Counter Plays for Every Card
Clash Royale Chests and Arena Levels FAQ
Clash Royale Elixir Advantage Guide