Clash Royale Spending Your Gems Guide by Hazonskie
Hey guys, this article is going to explain and hopefully give you a better understanding on what to spend your gems on and why you should do so. I also have different advice depending on the amount of money you are willing to drop into the game. I’m hoping that this article will stop the amount of ‘how to spend my gems’ posts which are flooding this sub reddit.
Epic from shop: Best value, however takes a long time to find an epic you want. Recommended if spending under $100
Gem the cycle: Intermediate value, requires you to play more games. Recommended to use this in addition to buying the epic if spending over $100, but not thousands of dollars
Gem Magical chests: Worse value, however has instant value. Recommended if money is not an issue and you are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Firstly check out this post as I refer to it often in the article.
Initially I stated that gemming the cycle is a complete waste, but as toochunky has shown in the comments it is not a waste and has more value in buying magical chests, but not the daily epic. I would like to apologise for initially giving out wrong advice.
Here is why:
I estimate that 2000 gems on Arena 5 chests will get you:
2000 gems speeding one cycle of chests at Arena 6 will get you:
6600 gold (let’s call it 6000 even–you do have to win the chests)
So the net result is 3 epics vs. 43 rares, 646 commons, 4000 gold. If you value commons/rares/epics at 5/50/2000, then the magical chests will come up something like ~3300 gold value shorter than speeding.
These are approximations as the hard numbers on the odds to receive a epic card in a silver/gold chest or 3 rares in one gold chest (etc) haven’t been released/found as of yet. However these numbers are seem quite close and I’m sure even with the true values this won’t change very much.
Also, I’m sure most of you know this, but only buy magical chests at areana 5. Because:
- A Magical chest at arena 4 or below as you are only guaranteed 1 epic card, opposed to arena 5&6 where you will be guaranteed to get at least 2 epic cards.
- A Magical chest at arena 5 costs 500 gems, while one at arena 6 will cost 600 gems. This is a massive increase in gem pricing, not worth the few extra (6) common/rare cards an arena 6 chest will give.
Spending a small amount of money: Under $100
If you are going to spend less than $100, I would recommend to spend those gems on Gold, to then spend on in the shop to receive the daily epic card. This is the best investment of gems in the game, much better than gemming magical chests and still better value than gemming the cycle.
Here is why
- The shop gives you the option of choosing which epic you want to buy, opposed to the magical chest, which can give potentially weak epics such as rage spell or Pekka (please do be offended that I called these cards bad, I think every card in the game has its place and can be potentially good, but these cards are too situational and requires to to form a deck around them)
- Better gold value: A Magical Chest at arena 5 costs 500 gems
10,000 gold also costs 500 gems
Hypothetically speaking the Magical chest drops; 500 gold, 50 commons, 15 rares and 3 epics. Note that this this is also the best case scenario
Let’s say a common is worth 5 gold, rare is worth 50 gold and epic is worth 2,000. If we convert this to gold we get
7500 gold (500+50×5+15×50+3×2000= 7500)
Also this value is probably much closer to about 6000 on average as you will probably only receive 2 epics not 3.
If you think ahead the cards which will be hardest to max will be the epic cards. Which buying them gives you 5, where a arena 5 magical chest will give you 2 or 3. So if you plan to get to max the daily epic in the shop is the way to go!
Also, don’t ever buy two or more epics from the shop in the same day as the 3,600 gold is obviously not worth it.
Spending over $100
To actually find 5 epics that you want it will take approximately a week to find. Now if you bought 14,000 gems and spend that all on gold it will take months to spend all that gold on the daily epic deal in the shop. That’s why I would also in addition to buying the daily epic also gem the cycle or buy magical chests. Make sure however to save enough gold to buy the 4,500 gem deal for 100,000 one or two times.
Benefits for gemming the cycle, opposed to gemming magical chests
Once again many of these ideas come from user toochunky so credit to him.
- More value, shown at the start of this article. ie More gold, common and rare cards.
- Allows you to not waste gold on finding matches with all 4 chest slot full (always have a free slot)
- Freedom to choose when to and not to gem a chest, for example speeding a chest unlock in the case where you are very tired and want to go to sleep, however you have a chest with 30min or so left and what your gold chest to unlock whilst asleep.
- Buying the magical chest requires you to be on arena 5, thus might require you to drop down in trophies, which could be quite frustrating to then climb back up
- A cool strategy is that you can speed every silver chest you get, and have your timer only working on gold chests. This allows for more freedom during the day, as currently you have to long on very often and only play in short bursts. This way you only have to worry about the timer once at night, once in the morning, and once during the day and only have to log into the game to take the free and crown chests. 3240 gems basically lets you speed a full 240 chest cycle worth of silver chests.
Here I the benefits of buying magical chests, opposed to gemming the cycle
- Instant value as for gemming the cycle, does take some time to actually win games then unlock the chests
- Magical chests will give you a bit more epics, opposed to gemming the cycle. Epics are far more valuable when looking from the perspective in eventually maxing out the game.
It really is up to you. Personally I would suggest gemming the cycle, due to its superior value and allows you to not have to log in as much, if you use the gem silver chest strategy. As for getting less epics with gemming the cycle, that is mostly made up for with the daily epic you will get from the shop. I would only buy magical chests if you are extremely impatient or are throwing thousand of dollars into the game.
Unfortunately in this game you receive gems at a very low rate, so I the only thing you can do is to be patient and save up to 500 gems to then purchase 10,000 gold, which will be used to buy 5 epics of your choosing.
Tip how to progress through the game the fastest
Almost always donate you cards to your clan as you get gold, but more importantly experience. Also buy the daily rare card as it only costs 40 gold (and the common card), and if you donate a rare card you get 10 experience and 50 gold.
50 + 10 experience>40 gold
Thanks for reading, please leave any suggestions in the comments and I will add them in and credit you.Other Clash Royale Articles
Clash Royale Ice Golem Advanced Techniques and Combos
Clash Royale Giant Bowler Decks and Counters Guide
Clash Royale Lava Hound Ultimate Guide
Clash Royale How to Use Every Legendary Guide
Clash Royale Mega Minion Guide
Clash Royale Inferno Dragon Guide
Clash Royale Sparky Elixir Management Guide
Clash Royale Ice Spirit Strategy Guide
Clash Royale All Tank Units Guide
Clash Royale Log Spell Guide
Clash Royale Using Each Card on Defense Guide
Clash Royale Sparky Troop Countering Strategies Guide
Clash Royale Global No. 1 Deck Guide
Clash Royale Ice Spirit Guide
Clash Royale Terminology List
Clash Royale Hidden Card Stats List
Clash Royale Slot Method Deck Building Guide
Clash Royale Identify Opponent’s Deck From Opening Move
Clash Royale Lava Hound Tips
Clash Royale Tournament Mode Rewards Analysis
Clash Royale Tournament Chest Payouts List
Clash Royale Sparky Analysis and Guide
Clash Royale Sparky Comprehensive Guide
Clash Royale Reading Your Opponent Guide
Clash Royale Legendary Tips for F2P Players
Clash Royale Furnace Swarm Legendary Deck
Clash Royale Princess Tactics and Tips
Clash Royale Four Factors To Reaching Legend
Clash Royale Balloon Strategy Guide
Clash Royale Giant Musketeer Mini Pekka Legendary F2P Deck
Clash Royale Tips For Legendary Arena Tryhards
Clash Royale Managing Your Resources Guide
Clash Royale Card Upgrade Costs List
Clash Royale Card Levels And Important Upgrades Analysis
Clash Royale Hog Valkyrie Musketeer Trifecta Legendary Deck
Clash Royale Legendary Arena Meta Decks
Clash Royale Lava Hound Control Deck Legendary Guide
Clash Royale All Cards Strategy Guide
Clash Royale Target Separation Technique Guide
Clash Royale Giant Skeleton Strategy Guide
Clash Royale Sparky Guide
Clash Royale Entering Legendary Arena Guide
Clash Royale Fire Spirits Guide
Clash Royale Tombstone Uses Guide
Clash Royale Legendary Arena Most Effective Decks
Clash Royale Tips For Hitting Legendary
Clash Royale Deck Building Template And Guide
Clash Royale Best Counters For Every Card
Clash Royale Countering Royal Giant Decks
Clash Royale Countering Hog Rider and Freeze Decks
Clash Royale Time and Elixir Management Guide
Clash Royale Tips For Reaching Legendary Arena
Clash Royale Giant Skeleton Usage Guide
Clash Royale Countering 3 Musketeers Tips
Clash Royale Hog, Freeze and Valkyrie Deck Guide
Clash Royale Useful Gameplay Tips
Clash Royale Lava Hound Uses and Counters Guide
Clash Royale Countering The Popular Decks
Clash Royale Climbing Trophies Guide
Clash Royale Countering Royal Giant Guide
Clash Royale Shop Card Prices Detailed List And Analysis
Clash Royale F2P 2500 Trophies Hog Zap Deck With No Epics
Clash Royale Legendary Hog Beatdown Deck
Clash Royale Card Collection Principles
Clash Royale Dealing With Stress And Tilt Guide
Clash Royale Deck Building Guidelines With Any Cards
Clash Royale Meta Analysis In Each Arena Level
Clash Royale Helsinki Tournament Champion’s Deck And Replays
Clash Royale 3000 Trophies Arena 5 Deck
Clash Royale Hits To Kill For Tournament Cap
Clash Royale Card Tier List
Clash Royale Beginner’s Battling Tips and Guide
Clash Royale Card Counters List
Clash Royale Tips and Strategy
Clash Royale Basic Tips
Clash Royale Hog and Freeze Arena 8 Deck
Clash Royale Deck Archetypes and Counters Guide
Clash Royale Deck Building Guide
Clash Royale Control Witch F2P Deck Guide
Clash Royale Chest Drop Cycle Guide
Clash Royale Spending Your Gems Guide
Clash Royale Free Player Success Guide
Clash Royale Deck Types Metagame Guide
Clash Royale Basic Strategy and Playing Smart
Clash Royale Plays and Counter Plays for Every Card
Clash Royale Chests and Arena Levels FAQ
Clash Royale Elixir Advantage Guide