Destiny Acronyms and Terms Guide
Destiny Acronyms and Terms Guide by Comic
The world of Destiny is always expanding, as they say. And along with it come new weapons, expansions, raids, and a bunch of other stuff… that we, as an internet community, scrunch down into two or three letters.
Being new to Destiny can be overwhelming at first, so I’m going to try and lay down some phrases and terms that new players out there may not know yet. Hope I help!
VoG– Vault of Glass; Venus Raid
CE– Crota’s End; Moon Raid
TLW– The Last Word; Exotic Hand Canon
IB– (Two different meanings,) Ice Breaker; Exotic Sniper OR Iron Banner; Monthly PvP event in which defense/attack stats matter.
Gally, Ghorn, Gallgfliabsvhorn Gjallarhorn; the ultimate wrecking machine (or Exotic Rocket Launcher) that everybody is ecstatic that they have or sad that they’ve been playing since Day One and still haven’t gotten it. Pronunciation often slaughtered horribly. Just say ‘Gally’ or ‘Ghorn’, and you’ll be fine.
NLB– A stick. Er, No Land Beyond, an Exotic Sniper. It’s pretty bad. Then you get the people you actually found out how to use it in PvP.
HotPF– Heart of the Praxic Fire; Exotic Warlock vestments
Bubblebro– Defender Titan
Voidbro– Voidwalker Warlock
Bubble Train– when the other team chains bubbles to generate infinite supers for their team. PvP term. An event in which two or more Titan bubbles are overlapping each other, holding the bulk of the enemy team inside.
SGA– Stands for Super Good Advice. The term is a reference to the Exotic Machine gun of the same name. Refers to some helpful knowledge.
Bastard– The Cryptarch, Master Rahool
Rockets McDickface– Valus Ta’aurc, Cerberus Vae III boss. Not very loved.
WoC– Will of Crota strike. Not very loved either.
VoC– Vision of Confluence; VoG Scout Rifle
Vex– NOT referring to the enemy species. When used like ‘My Vex is fully upgraded’ or ‘My friend just got the Vex yesterday’, it is the Vex Mthylocast, the Exotic Fusion Rifle and top reward from VoG.
MotW– Montage of the Week; weekly contest in which Guardians send in their clips for a shot to be featured in next weekly update.
Cheese; Cheesing– to ‘do an encounter the way it was not intended to be played’. Pretty much making said encounter, like strike bosses or Raid sections, easier to complete by glitches or unique ways to exploit game mechanics.
ToO-Trials of Osiris, an upcoming weekendly PvP event with House of Wolves expansion.
Ball; Purple ball– our savior and favorite pastime
TDB – The Dark Below
HoW – House of Wolves
PUG – Pick Up Group
RNG/RNGJesus – Random Number Generator (Editor’s Note: The thing everybody prayers to before a raid or Nightfall)
Boomer – knight with a massive gun that shoots large, blue orbs of darkness stuffs instead of a sword. Highly explosive. Highly annoying.
PunchBro – striker titan subclass
Nm/Hm – normal mode /hard mode of raids.
LFG – looking for group
Lfm/lf# – looking for more/looking for x amount more.
Rooty-tooty point and shooty – gun
WoC can also be Word of Crota (the CE handcannon)
P&T – Patience & Time (Exotic Sniper)
HoC – Hunger of Crota (CE Rocket)
Crotation – the act of Crota moving to and from the center
RoF– Rate of Fire
Add/ trash/ mob – any enemy that isn’t a boss. Example: watch out, the adds are spawning in the crystal room
DB – Dragons breath. (Exotic Rocket)
UR– Universal Remote, Exotic Shotgun
T4H or 4H The Fourth Horseman, Exotic Shotgun for PlayStation users only.
Proc– Short for process, something that triggers under a particular circumstance; such as weapon perks, subclass perks, and armor abilities. (elaboration by Sprtscardrvr3 & liber_nihilus): comes from Programmed Random OCcurrence. It’s any mechanic or bonus that has a chance to happen or relies on RNG.
DPS– Damage Per Second
Adjusted DPS– Damage Per Second adjusted for reload time.
ToT– Time on Target, the amount of time you can engage a target.
DoT– Damage over Time, damage that occurs over the duration of the effect.
Tic– During DoT, each time damage is applied is called a tic.
AoE– Area of Effect, the area where an effect is present; usually referring to damage such as grenades, weapon abilities, or subclass abilities.
Xûrsday- On Friday, when Xûr arrives.
TTK – Time to Kill, a measure of weapon effectivness in PvP
ADS– Aiming Down Sights
SunBro– Sunsinger Warlock
Witch(es)– other term for Hive Wizards
TL;DR- More of an Urban Dictionary definition, stands for ‘Too long; Didn’t Read’. Normally included at end or beginning of lengthy posts to summarize the post for people who didn’t want to read all of it.
Dinklebot– Ghost; a reference to its voice actor, Peter Dinklage.
- AR: Auto Rifles
- FR: Fusion Rifle
- HC: Hand Cannon
- HMG/MG: Heavy Machine Gun/Machine Gun
- PR: Pulse Rifles
- RL: Rocket Launcher
- SA: Sidearm (*Note: coming to Destiny in DLC #2 House of Wolves)
- ScR: Scout Rifle
- SG: Shotgun
- SR: Sniper Rifle
Primary – Exotic
- MIDA/MMT: MIDA Multi-Tool (Scout Rifle)
- NC: Necrochasm (
- NLB: No Land Beyond (
tree branchSniper Rifle)
- SUROS: SUROS Regime (Auto Rifle; also in-game manufacturer of various Rare-quality weapons)
- TLW: The Last Word (Hand Cannon; also used in-place of TL;DR on Destiny-related subs)
- UR: Universal Remote (Shotgun)
- Vex Mytho: Vex Mythoclast (Fusion Rifle found in the Vault of Glass Hard Mode raid)
- HONORABLE MENTION: SR: Stranger’s Rifle (Pulse Rifle received at the end of the main Campaign; was originally designed to be an Exotic Primary, but was downgraded to Rare-quality due to Bungie not wanting to give out an Exotic off the bat)
Primary – Legendary
- AD/Abyss: Abyss Defiant (Auto Rifle obtained through Crota’s End Hard Mode raid)
- AE: Atheon’s Epilogue (Auto Rifle obtained through Vault of Glass raid)
- FB: Fatebringer (Hand Cannon obtained through Vault of Class raid)
- TL: Timur’s Lash (Hand Cannon obtained through Iron Banner Crucible event)
- VoC: Vision of Confluence (Scout Rifle obtained through Vault of Glass raid)
- WoC: Word of Crota (Hand Cannon obtained through Crota’s End Hard Mode raid)
Special – Exotic
- IB: Icebreaker (Sniper Rifle) (*Note: also stands for the Iron Banner Crucible Event)
- PaT/P&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;T: Patience and Time (Sniper Rifle)
Special – Legendary
- BH: Black Hammer (Sniper Rifle obtained through Crota’s End raid)
- FwL/FL: Felwinter’s Lie (Shotgun obtained through Iron Banner Crucible event; induces unhealthy Guardian rage)
- LotA: Light of the Abyss (Fusion Rifle obtained through Crota’s End)
- SB: Swordbreaker (Shotgun obtained through Crota’s End raid)
Heavy – Exotic
- Gjally/Ghorn/Yallerhorn/Ballerhorn/Jellyhorn/Yolohorn/Bananahorn: Gjallarhorn (Rocket Launcher)
- SGA: Super Good Advice (Machine Gun; also used used in place of ‘PSA’ when Guardians have advice, ranking from really useful to lukewarm)
Heavy – Legendary
- CM: Corrective Measure (Machine Gun obtained through Vault of Glass raid)
- HoC: Hunger of Crota (Rocket Launcher obtained through Crota’s End)
- Bubblebro/Bubblebabe/Bubble Buddy: Defender Titan (Void-based Titan subclass)
- BD/Space Ninja: Bladedancer (Arc-based Hunter subclass)
- Fistbro/Punchbro/Punchbabe: Striker Titan (Arc-based Titan subclass)
- GS/Space Cowboy/Space Cowgirl: Gunslinger (Solar-based Hunter subclass)
- SS/Sunbro/Sunbabe/Praiser of the Sun: Sunsinger (Solar-based Warlock subclass)
- VW/Voidbro/Voidbabe: Voidwalker (Void-based Warlock subclass)
- WoD/Bubble: Ward of Dawn (Defender Titan subclass’s Super)
- AB: Arc Blade (Bladedancer Hunter subclass’s Super)
- FoH/Fist of Panic: Fist of Havoc (Striker Titan subclass’s Super)
- GG: Golden Gun (Gunslinger Hunter subclass’s Super)
- NB/Space Magic: Nova Bomb (Voidwalker Warlock subclass’s Super)
- Resurrection/Fire Jesus: Radiance (Sunsinger Warlock subclass’s Super)
- BoL: Blessing of Light (perk for Defender Titan’s Ward of Dawn; adds a temporary overshield to all allies who pass through the bubble)
- DFA/Superman: Death From Above (Striker Titan’s ability to dramatically dive down to enemies with Fist of Havoc)
- Face palm/Pocket Sand: Warlock melee (can be modified with other perks such as Energy Drain)
- FG/MG/Sticky: Fusion Grenade/Magnetic Grenade (attaches to enemies; featured in all subclasses except Striker Titan)
- SC/Judo kick: Shoulder Charge (Striker Titan’s ability to charge into enemies to deal massive damage)
- Tripmine: Tripmine Grenade (Hunter Solar grenade that detonates when poor, unaware Guardians walk through it)
- WoL: Weapons of Light (perk for Defender Titan’s Ward of Dawn; adds a temporary attack boost to all allies who pass through the bubble)
- Whoosh: Blink (short-distance teleportation featured in Hunter and Warlock subclasses)
Materials and Currencies
- Mats: materials e.g. Spinmetal (Earth), Spirit Bloom (Venus), Relic Iron (Mars), Helium Filaments (Moon), Ascendant Energy/Shards (Public Events/Daily Missions/Legendary Engrams/Vault of Glass/dismantling Legendary items), Radiant Energy/Shards (Eris Morn/Crota’s End)
- Farm: a term generally used in MMORPGs for grinding out materials; Guardians will typically be found farming in the Exclusion Zone and various Strike missions
- MoL: Mote of Light (currency gained through gaining experience past the Level 20 cap. See also:Upmote!)
- SC: Strange Coin (currency gained through Weekly Heroic Strikes, random Crucible rewards, and Rare/Blue engrams)
- Shards/Energies: Ascendant/Radiant/Exotic materials (upgrade materials found from Vault of Glass and Crota’s End raids and/or Daily Public Events and Missions; Exotic Shards are found by dismantling Exotic items and buying from Xur)
NPCs and Enemies
- Boomers: Hive Knights equipped with Boomer weapon (deals heavy Arc damage with wide Area of Effect)
- Brogoth: Phogoth (boss encountered on “The Summoning Pits” Strike on the Moon)
- Deathsinger: Ir Yut (enemy encountered on Crota’s End raid. See also: Yogurt)
- Dinklebot: Ghost (AKA your quippy floating key voiced by Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones)
- Eris Moan: a dirty, dirty nickname for Eris Morn (NPC of DLC #1: The Dark Below)
- Kinderguardians: new Guardians of Destiny (welcome! You can never leave)
- Lord Saladbar/Saladhands/Salamander: Lord Saladin (sells Iron Banner Crucible event items)
- Momnigul/Omnigurl/Yoko Ono: Omnigul (the shrieking “Will of Crota” Strike boss everyone loves to hate)
- Randal the Vandal: a Fallen Major Vandal with buffed Health found in the Forgotten Shores of Earth and other Patrol areas (originates from the Destiny Beta/Alpha; Bungie used Randal to calculate damage ratios from Player-to-Environment. For some strange reason, Randal refused to leave the final game, and now lurks in the Darkness, waiting to pummel naive Guardians. Associated with: Frank the Shank)
- Radrool/Bearer of the Shards/Asshole/Satan himself: Master Rahool (Engram decoder; destroys the hopes of dreams of Guardians daily)
- Rockets McDickface: Valus Ta’aurc (boss encountered on the “Cerberus Vae III” Stike on Mars; used to be extremely tedious to defeat due to high Health and high damage output)
- Scrota: Crota (the main antagonist of The Dark Below DLC #1; found in Story mission “The Wakening” and in the Crota’s End raid)
- Sexy Robo Lady: The Exo Stranger (encountered throughout the main Campaign.)
- Spaghetti-head/Squidface: Xur (weekly vendor who sells a random assortment of Exotic gear and upgrades)
- Yogurt: Ir Yut/Vex critical spot
- DO: Dead Orbit (white-and-black scheme; focus on Strength and Discipline perks)
- FWC: Future War Cult (blue-and-gold scheme; focus on Discipline and Intellect)
- NM: New Monarchy (red-and-white scheme; focus on Strength and Intellect)
Events and Activities
- CA: Combined Arms (Crucible game-type that involves larger maps and vehicles)
- CE: Crota’s End (Hive Raid)
- HoW: House of Wolves (DLC #2)
- IB/Iron Banana/FeB: Iron Banner (Monthly Crucible Event)
- NF: Nightfall (Weekly Strike activity)
- PoE: Prison of Elders (Arena/Horde-based event released in the House of Wolves DLC #2. See also:A CELL, FROM THE PRISON OF ELDERS)
- TDB: The Dark Below (DLC #1)
- ToO: Trials of Osiris (Weekly Crucible event released in the House of Wolves DLC #2)
- VoG: Vault of Glass (Vex Raid)
- Xursday: Xur’s weekly tidings (occurs Friday-to-Saturday)
People Outside of Destiny
- Bromnigul: a not-so endearing nickname for Destiny Streamer and YouTuber ProfessorBroman (see also: “OMG THRAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL”)
- DeeJ: the community organizer of Bungie.net i.e. the messenger; communicates all Bungie/Destiny news to the players; reddit username is DeeJ_BNG (*Note: he is an active member of our community, and often checks this sub and the Bungie forums to relay player feedback to developers)
- MEGAMAN: a reddit user under the name of megamanexe4, who for a time was able to data mine Bungie servers for future Nightfall Strikes, Xur inventories, patches, DLCs etc.
- Squeakers: pre-pubescent players (generally have a bad reputation in the gaming community of calling your mothers fat and using homosexuality as an insult, therefore inducing rage. * Note: On the contrary, a fair amount are pleasant to be in a Fireteam with. Many just need the patience and guidance to become legend. When dealing with abrasive players, be the more mature one and simply a) report them or b) tell them they are acting out of line. Help keep the Destiny community as healthy as possible)
- ADS: Aim Down Sights (commonly used in First Person Shooter games)
- Adds: short for “additional”; Large mobs of enemies/additional enemies (commonly used in MMORPGs; in the case of Destiny, this refers to waves found in Strikes, Raids, and Public Events)
- Aggro: the aggressiveness/attention of enemies (commonly used in MMORPGs; can mean two things: a) aggressiveness: depending on certain enemies, some will only retaliate when attacked, while others will attack preemptively, or b) attention: getting the enemies’ attention i.e. “getting the enemy aggro” means, “I’m drawing the enemy’s attention to me!”)
- AoE: Area of Effect (the damage radius of perks and Supers)
- “Anyone need the heavy ammo glitch?”: the heavy ammo trick (used during the interlude before the final fight in the Crota’s End raid, but this can be done anywhere)
- Bullet sponge: an enemy that can take a massive amount of damage
- Crotation/Crotating: “Crota is moving left/right!” (used to indicate Crota’s movement during the final battle of the Crota’s End raid)
- Down [insert enemy name]!: to kill an enemy (commonly used in MMORPGs. See also: Guardian down!)
- Guardian down!: said by Ghost when a Fireteam member dies during a PvE activity (used in this sub when a Guardian suffers serious burns from snarky Guardians)
- HM: Hard mode (level of difficult in Story missions, Strikes, Raids, etc.)
- NM: Normal mode (level of difficult in Story missions, Strikes, Raids, etc.)
- LFG/LFM: Looking For Group/Members (commonly used in MMORPGs; LFG is used for singular players looking to be invited into a Fireteam, while LFM is used for a player trying to form a Fireteam. See also: PUG and/or the sidebar for ways to send out LFG/LFMs)
- PvE: Player-versus-Environment (common phrase used in MMOGs to describe players battling computer players)
- PvP: Player-versus-Player (common phrase used in MMOGs to describe players battling each other)
- Proc: when an action triggers a passive ability (e.g. “A Defender Titan’s melee procs Force Barrier,” or “The final round in Thorn’s magazine procs bonus damage.”)
- PUG: Pick Up Group; a Fireteam composed of a random assortment of people (commonly used in MMORPGs; in the case of Destiny, PUGs can be formed with the use of DestinyLFG.com, the100.io, and others.)
- RNG: Random Number Generator (best thought of as a digital lottery system: rewards/enemy spawns/etc. are chosen at random by the game. Present in most video games. See also: RNGesus, our Lord and Savior who brings either good tidings or damnation)
- Sherpa/Sherpa’d: to guide/to be guided through any in-game activity (commonly used in MMORPGs; in the case of Destiny, this refers to more experience players helping less experienced players through Strikes, Raids, Daily Missions, etc.)
- Upmote!: used in place of ‘upvote’ in reference to Motes of Light
- V/A/SB: Void/Arc/Solar burn (elemental damages that are on all special/heavy weapons and some primary weapons; use corresponding elements on enemies with shields e.g. Fallen Captain=Arc, Hive Wizards/Cabal Missileshootingthings=Solar, Vex Minotaur=Void; during Nightfall/Weekly Heroic strikes these get a buff for both allies and enemies. See also: “TASTE THE RAINBOW” and/or Triple/Rainbow Burn, a phrase coined when all Elemental Burns are in effect)
- “VENUS!/MARS!: used to indicate where players are teleported during the final battle in the Vault of Glass raid (Mars is left of the entrance to the Glass Throne, Venus is right of the entrance; you can also use your radar to gauge where your teammates were teleported)