FFXIV Battle in the Big Keep Guide by rigsta
I encourage everyone to not read this guide, but to figure the fight out for themselves. It’s not a complex one in terms of mechanics but it’s still satisfying to try things out and find the way that works.
That said, if you’re struggling (and by that I mean more than 3 wipes on phase 1) – read on.
Gilgamesh + Enkidu
- Don’t bother hitting Gilgamesh, as Enkidu will heal him.
- Gilgamesh will occasionally jump into the middle of the arena and perform an AE knockback. Shields (stoneskin, succor) block the effect if they reduce the damage to 0. SMN & SCH should take care to re-place their pets if they get knocked to the edge of the arena.
- Enkidu’s cone telegraph inflicts a -30% damage/heals debuff if it hits.
- [Unknown ability] inflicts slow+heavy on x players. These should be cleansed. Healers first. I found it affected two players most times and occasionally affected three.
- Two pairs of players will get a link between them. Running towards the linked player cancels it. I think this is what causes “minimum” until cancelled, but couldn’t confirm it.
- If you get a target/crosshair marker, run away from other players so Enkidu’s missile hits only you. It deals 3.5K+ damage.
- 3-4 players will get turned into chickens periodically. They can’t use abilities and have reduced HP while chicken’d.
- Whirlwinds will appear periodically, and explode for extreme (4K+) raid-wide AE damage after a while. To prevent this, a chicken must jump into the whirlwind. A non-chicken can also do this in a pinch but they’ll take ~4K damage.
- When Gilgamesh says he feels like dancing, he’ll hit the tank with a series of powerful strikes (E: actually a cleave attack). These should be shielded & healed through.
- Gilgamesh will chain a healer. This player cannot be targetted (ie. healed) and suffers a DoT. All DPS must destroy the chain ASAP. The closer the chained player is to Gilgamesh, the less damage the chain takes. Added info from comments.
- Gilgamesh summons four dragon heads around the edges of the arena. These deal telegraphed AE damage like Ultima’s magitek bits, and should be killed.
- Gilgamesh will jump to a random(?) player then charge back to the tank, damaging anyone he collides with.
- Gilgamesh causes telegraphed AE ice damage in a chess-board pattern. Stand in the darker ie. non-telegraph squares to avoid the damage. He follows this with the same ability but the safe areas switch so you have to dodge again.
- Gilgamesh summons Lighting orbs that deal AE damage after a short delay. Move to away to avoid them, then back to avoid the second set of orbs he summons immediately aferwards. edited w/ new info from comments
- Gilgamesh jumps to the middle of the arena and
uses Tachi: Kashacauses telegraphed AE damage all over the arena with narrow safe areas.
- The dragon heads will fly up to the ceiling, and return to strike individual players for heavy damage. I don’t know if this can be avoided eg. by killing the heads faster. It happened, lots of people were at ~1.5K health, me and the other SCH went physick-crazy.
I can’t remember the exact order but he seems to cycle through these abilities. As the fight progresses he uses them with increased frequency, meaning it’s entirely possibly you can be dealing with them back-to-back or even two at once. Our fight lasted long enough that we used a level 3 melee LB and he had ~5% HP left afterwards.
As SCH I placed Selene right in the middle of the arena and found it useful to keep succor up to take the edge off failed dodges. Damage wasn’t consistently high but was very spikey when it did come.
Annoyingly my recording of this fight turned out to be corrupt, so that’s all I got from my single run (2 wipes on phase 1, aced phase 2). Enjoy! /hildy
Trivia: One of our tanks dropped group after the first wipe, offering no explanation before or after the fight started. I can only assume we weren’t carrying him gently enough.
- Phase 1: Chickens jump in whirlwinds, healers cleanse debuffs, focus DPS on Enkidu, guide missiles away from other players.
- Phase 2: Watch out for “dancing” spike damage to the tank, kill all adds ASAP, avoid back-to-back telegraphs.
FFXIV Favors Comprehensive Guide
FFXIV Strength Based Tanking Guide
FFXIV Classes and Jobs Beginner’s Guide
FFXIV Heavensward Coil Guide
FFXIV Collectables Guide
FFXIV Aetherial Reduction Guide
FFXIV Airship Guide
FFXIV Catching Up To Patch 3.0 Guide
FFXIV Ravana Extreme Guide
FFXIV Astrologians Guide for Non-AST Players
FFXIV Astrologian Guide
FFXIV Machinist Guide
FFXIV Dark Knight Tips
FFXIV Preparing for Heavensward Guide
FFXIV Steps of Faith Full Guide
FFXIV Binding Coil of Bahamut Guide
FFXIV Final Coil of Bahamut Guide
FFXIV Second Coil of Bahamut Guide
FFXIV ACT and Plugin Guide
FFXIV Summoner Egis Tips and Tricks
FFXIV Triple Triad NPC Conquest Guide
FFXIV Chocobo Rank and Rating Guide
FFXIV Chocobo Stat Growth Guide
FFXIV Chocobo Breeding and Raising Guide
FFXIV Chocobo Racing Basics Guide
FFXIV Triple Triad Getting to 30 Cards Guide
FFXIV Triple Triad Guide
FFXIV Crafting Beginner’s Guide
FFXIV Master Crafter and Gatherer Guide
FFXIV World of Darkness Tips
FFXIV Battle in the Big Keep Guide
FFXIV World of Darkness Boss Guide
FFXIV Snap Aggro Guide
FFXIV T13 Scholar Guide
FFXIV ilvl 110 Guide
FFXIV Raising iLv Quickly Strategy
FFXIV Leveling and Gearing in 2.4 Guide
FFXIV Older Endgame Guide
FFXIV Improving at Warrior Guide
FFXIV Spiritbonding Advanced Guide
FFXIV Sastasha HM Karl Boss Guide
FFXIV New Level 50 Player’s Progression Guide
FFXIV Imdugud Strategy Guide
FFXIV Melds Gathering Guide
FFXIV Soot Black Chocobo in 24 Hours Guide
FFXIV Crafting Guide
FFXIV Turn 9 Tank Strategy Guide
FFXIV Frontlines Roles Guide
FFXIV Black Mage Rotation Guide
FFXIV Frontlines PvP Guide
FFXIV Game Controller Targeting Tips and Tricks
FFXIV Hullbreaker Isle Tips and Boss Guide
FFXIV Tam-Tara HM Tips and Boss Guide
FFXIV Stone Vigil HM Tips and Boss Guide
FFXIV Hullbreaker Isle Guide
FFXIV New Player’s Guide
FFXIV Getting a Static Guide
FFXIV Accuracy Caps List
FFXIV End Game Food Caps Guide
FFXIV ARR Survival Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Dzemeal Darkhold Speed Run Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Short Leveling Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Exploration Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Boting (Botany) for Gil Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Goldsmith Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Party Recruitment and Search Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Leatherworker Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Lore Compilation and Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Solo Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Food Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Goldsmith Grinding Guide
Final Fantasy XIV King Moogle Strategy Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Sidequest Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Notorious Monsters Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Enmity Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Weaponskills and Magic Combo Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Archer Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Sidequests List
Final Fantasy XIV Achievement Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Lodestone Achievement Guide
Final Fantasy XIV Stats Guide