Destiny FAQ by Lokitx
Items come in several tiers:
- Basic (White) – generally stop being useful around levels 10-15.
- Uncommon (Green) – after level 20 you will break these down for parts.
- Rare (Blue) – useful until about level 24 (level 20+ blues have light).
- Legendary (Purple) – necessary for advancement past early 20s.
- Raid Legendaries (Purple) – these are closer to exotic items without exotic restrictions.
- Exotics (Gold/Yellow) – Uniquely interesting pieces. Only allowed to have one exotic weapon and one exotic armor piece equipped at a time. (Hence the added value of raid legendaries which are often as good or better than exotics – especially weapons.)
Weapons max out at 300 attack. The closer to this number your weapon is the bigger advantage it gives you vs. your level and higher opponents. Max out the weapons you use frequently.
What are light levels?
After you hit level 20 your “level” goes up as you equip better gear. The Light stat on gear determines your light level.
Level 29: Requires all legendary armor and one exotic armor (or raid pieces). Most of it will need to be fully upgraded.
Level 30: Requires all raid armor or three raid pieces and one exotic piece. All must be fully upgraded.
Optimizing once you hit level 30.
How do I get legendary armor to level up?
- Luck / RNG
- Crucible / Strikes: You will get blues and engrams that have light and will level you up. Eventually you will replace them with legendaries.
- Factions. It is recommend that you level to Vanguard Rank 2 since the only faction that lets you use your Vanguard Marks is the Vanguard Faction. You will definitely get a lot of Vanguard Marks. After you reach Vanguard Rank 2 you can switch to a secondary faction (Dead Orbit, New Monarchy, FWC, etc.) based on what you want.
- Exotics from Xur – try to get as many slots covered as you can so you can switch exotics around as you get legendary and raid pieces.
- Raids – Boots, Gloves, and Chest, come from normal mode raids. The Head piece only drops from Atheon in hard mode. All are random.
He appears in the Tower every Friday morning (details everywhere). He sells special items for Strange Coins (SC, for short, are gained from quests, randomness, engrams, and Weeklies.
He always sells:
- One piece of armor for each class. (13 SC)
- One weapon. (23 SC for a primary, 17 SC for a secondary or heavy)
- One exotic engram. (23 Motes of Light) [Note that this can decode into an item for any class.]
He also sells sparrow upgrades and telemetries.
More details (from the Xur Megathread – search for it on Friday mornings):
|PDT||Friday, 1:00 AM||Sunday, 1:00 AM|
|EDT||Friday, 4:00 AM||Sunday, 4:00 AM|
|GMT||Friday, 9:00 AM||Sunday, 9:00 AM|
|CET||Friday, 10:00 AM||Sunday, 10:00 AM|
|AETS||Friday, 7:00 PM||Sunday, 7:00 PM|
History of Xur Sales
What are dailies and weeklies?
They are special (non matched) missions that give bonus rewards (XP, Engrams, Vanguard Rep and Marks, Strange Coins, etc.)
You can only complete them (to get rewards) once during their time period. Once a day for a dailies and once a week for weeklies.
Weeklies reset on Tuesday mornings at 2am Pacific Time. Dailes reset at 2am Pacific Time.
- Daily: 2 Ascendant Material (Shards or Energy), engram, vanguard marks.
- Weekly Heroic: Rewards 3/6/9 stange coins, faction rep, vanguard marks, and engrams.
- Weekly Nightfall: Rewards one random thing 5-12 strange coins or ascendant material, legendary weapon, exotic weapon. Most Important: 25% bonus to XP and rep gains for the rest of the week
TIP: Do Nightfall first if you can so you get bonus rep and xp from everything else.
What level do I need to be to raid (VoG / Vault of Glass)?
Raid Guide: Vault of Glass / VOG
Normal Mode. Minimum Level 24. To go in with a pug group you should be at least level 26 and ideally level 27.
Hard Mode. Be level 29, ideally 30.
Why? Your damage is materially reduced if your level is below the level of the mobs (Normal mobs are 26. Hard mobs are 30.) Your damage reduction is also substantially reduced and you will die a lot if you are under level.
What is the difference between normal and hard mode raids?
The biggest difference (besides the obvious that hard mode is harder) is that in hard mode you cannot be resurrected when you die. (In normal mode you have a 30 second resurrection timer.)
How much can I raid?
You will only get rewards from the raid once a week per difficulty.
The raid resets on Tuesday mornings and you can do it again.
- Normal: You will get the normal raid rewards for each boss.
- Normal then hard: You will get normal raid rewards and then hard raid rewards for each boss.
- Hard: You will get two rolls on each boss for hard mode loot. The second roll is your reward for normal (but it comes from the hard mode loot table.)
- Hard than normal: You will get the rewards for Hard and then nothing from normal.
Most chests only reward you the first time you open them. One of the Gorgon chests will give rewards in normal and hard.
Which bosses drop loot in the raid?
There are three chests (and a normal chest) that drop loot after the Templar. Two are before and one is in the Gorgon’s Maze.
Should I level up non-raid gear?
Note that the last column of legendary and exotic upgrades costs ascendent material (shards for armor, energy for weapons). Generally conserve shards to upgrade exotic and raid armor. You should never upgrade past exactly 29 (light 109) except by upgrading raid armor pieces – doing so is a waste of ascendant shards.
Upgrading pieces to prior to spending ascendant material is always advised as it is relatively easy to gather the planetary resources (spinmetal, helium, etc.) needed for these upgrades whereas ascendant materials are more difficult to acquire.
Yes, if you want to raid or do Iron Banner PVP. If you want to do the hardmode raid you should level up to 29. Upgrade to level 27 for normal raids.
No, if you are primarily doing PVP. Defense rating is normalized in PVP.
- Focus on getting an exotic helm since raid helm is only available in hard mode.
- Upgrade exotic first.
- Upgrade other pieces next. Order is less important, but there are no exotic boots so you will only replace standard legendary boots with raid boots.
What about weapons?
You should always max the weapons you use to 300, especially for raids. If you are level 29 in hard mode and do not have maxed weapons you are going to make your group mad.
The exception is PVP – you do not need the final Damage Upgrades except for Iron Banner since they are normalized. You might want to get the weapon perks/abilities if you find them useful.
How do I get ascendant materials?
- Public Events:
- You get a reward the first time you complete a public event every day. It can be ascendant material, a mote of light, or a strange coin. It also includes 5,000 xp.
- Find public events here: http://destinypublicevents.com
- Daily Mission – gets you two of either shards or energy.
- Nightfall – sometimes gives ascendant material rewards.
- Disassembling legendary gear (armor=shards, weapons=energy). Upgrading a weapon (without spending materials) increases the amount of energy you get.
Where can I find people to raid with?
- Adds Additional mobs (monsters) that appear during a fight.
- Aggro When a mob/boss focuses on you. Or on someone else (“they have aggro.”)
- Cheesing Creative use of mechanics to beat an encounter. Such as using grenades to push the Templar off his platform.
- Disassemble Break down an item for components (weapon parts, armor parts – vary by class, ascendant materials).
- Drop A reward from defeating something or opening a chest.
- Loot table The list of loot dropped by a specific mob or boss.
- Mobs Monsters, bad guys, what not.
- Rep Reputation – levels up your faction rank (Vanguard, Crucible, Cryptarch, Dead Orbit, etc.)
- RNG Random Number Generator is the mystical system for awarding loot. It is supposedly random.
- RNGesus The mythical and mysterious figure who oversees loot. Many guardians offer prayers to him/her/it. Sometimes they are rewards, sometimes not. It appears random.
- Trash Mobs that you must kill before/during boss fights, but don’t serve a special purpose.
- Spinmetal is found on Earth.
- Helium is found on the Moon.
- Sprit Bloom is found on Venus.
- Relic Iron is found on Mars.
They can be harvested and found in chests on the appropriate planets.
- Raid items are always the same. Except that armor can have different stats and resource (spinmetal, helium, etc.) requirements.
- Exotics are always the same except resource requirements.
- Legendaries from vendors are always the same. However, you can get a legendary with the same name but different abilities, stats, and resource requirements. Always look at them before you disassemble it to make sure it doesn’t have an amazing ability (like accelerated coils on fusion rifle).
Destiny PvP Guide to Getting Good
Destiny Heroic Wrath of the Machine Easy Guide
Destiny Light Level Boosting Caps List
Destiny Power Level Past 365 Light Guide
Destiny 365 Light Without Fireteam Guide
Destiny Wrath of the Machine Loot and Locations Guide
Destiny Wrath of the Machine Comprehensive Guide
Destiny Reputation Guide for Leveling
Destiny Intensive Reputation Guide
Destiny Tips and Advice
Destiny Exotic Armors and Stat Rolls List
Destiny Sniper Mega Guide
Destiny Sniping and Aiming Guide
Destiny Sparrow Racing League Guide
Destine Oryx Challenge Mode Guide
Destiny Oryx Basics Guide
Destiny Nightstalker PvP Guide
Destiny Salvage Comprehensive Guide
Destiny Black Spindle Guide
Destiny Pulse Rifle Guide
Destiny Pulse Rifle Stats
Destiny Sunbreaker Guide
Destiny Gunslinger Build Guide
Destiny First Firewall Quest Guide
Destiny TTK Dead Ghosts Comprehensive Guide
Destiny Taken King Endgame Guide
Destiny Golgorath One Gaze Guide
Destiny King’s Fall Guide Compilation
Destiny Light Levels Guide
Destiny Getting Black Spindle Guide
Destiny Exotic Sword Quest Guide
Destiny Kingsfall Raid Comprehensive Guide
Destiny Getting 300+ Light Guide
Destiny Fusion Rifles In-Depth Guide
Destiny Skolas Rounds 1 to 5 Solo Guide
Destiny All Emblems List
Destiny Guide for Returning Players
Destiny Sunsinger Beginner’s Guide
Destiny Beating Skolas In-Depth Guide
Destiny Skolas Fight Mechanics Guide
Destiny Safest Skolas Strategy
Destiny Easy Skolas Strategy
Destiny Skolas In-Depth Guide
Destiny Improving At Crucible Guide
Destiny Bladedancer PvP Guide
Destiny Fusion Rifles in Crucible Guide
Destiny The Ram In-Depth Armor Analysis
Destiny Hand Cannon Re-rolling Guide
Destiny Hand Cannons In-Depth Guide
Destiny Sniper Rifle Re-rolling Guide
Destiny Trials of Osiris Basics Guide
Destiny Level Iron Banner Alts In 6 Games Guide
Destiny Iron Banner Bounty Solo Queue Guide
Destiny Rocket Launcher Guide
Destiny Trials of Osiris Comprehensive Guide
Destiny Scout Rifle Re-rolling Guide
Destiny Raising Your KD Ratio Guide
Destiny Prison of Elders Treasure Chest Loot Explained
Destiny HoW Weapon Reforge Best Rolls Guide
Destiny The Elder Cypher Guide
Destiny Trials of Osiris Information
Destiny Prison of Elders Guide
Destiny “Wanted” Bounties Locations
Destiny Ether Chest Locations
Destiny House of Wolves New Weapon Perks List
Destiny Maximum Armor Rolls List
Destiny Legendary Hand Cannons Guide
Destiny Vendor Machine Guns Comparison
Destiny Edge Faction Reputation Guide
Destiny Glimmer Farming Guide
Destiny Aiming and Sniping Guide
Destiny Acronyms and Terms Guide
Destiny Sunsinger Warlock PvE Guide
Destiny Crota Solo With Dragon’s Breath Guide
Destiny Gunslinger Tripmines PvP Guide
Destiny Alien Damage Guide
Destiny Exotic Weapon Perks Guide
Destiny Material Chaining Guide
Destiny Gunslinger Hunter PvE Guide
Destiny 500 Roc Strikes Reward Breakdown
Destiny Flawless Raider Detailed Guide
Destiny Winning Rumble Guide
Destiny Orb Defender Crucible Guide
Destiny Striker Titan PvE Guide
Destiny Bladedancer Hunter PvE Guide
Destiny Weapons of Light in Crucible Guide
Destiny Is It Worth Upgrading Via Xur Guide
Destiny Venus Cave Glimmer Farming Guide
Destiny Max Grimoire Guide
Destiny Exotic Armor and Weapon Combinations
Destiny Character Builds by Subclass
Destiny How to be Successful in Iron Banner
Destiny Iron Banner Rank Math
Destiny Important PvP Tips
Destiny Leveling Up Iron Banner Effectively Guide
Destiny Iron Banner Weapons and Reforging Guide
Destiny Jolders Hammer Best Rolls Guide
Destiny Voidwalker Warlock PvE Guide
Destiny Melee and Shotgun Tips
Destiny Obsidian Mind Guide
Destiny Mastering Blink Guide
Destiny Swordbearer Guide
Destiny Bladedancer PvP Build Detailed Guide
Destiny Shotgun Rankings
Destiny Warlock Exotic Armor Rankings
Destiny Defender Titan PvE Comprehensive Guide
Destiny Effective Hunter Swordbearer Guide
Destiny Earning Reputation Guide
Destiny Infinite Heavy Ammo Guide
Destiny Decrypting Class Items for Rares Guide
Destiny Elemental Enemies List
Destiny Sunsinger In Depth Guide
Destiny Abyss Without Lamps Guide
Destiny Hunter Exotic PvE/PvP Tier Guide
Destiny Hunter Exotics PvE Tier Guide
Destiny Titan Exotics PvE Tiers Guide
Destiny Flawless Raider Guide
Destiny Hard Mode Crota Tips
Destiny Nightfall Tips
Destiny Crota HM Health Guide
Destiny Crucible Control Zones Needed to Win Guide
Destiny Heavy Ammo Glitch Guide
Destiny Warlock PvE Exotic Guide
Destiny Crota HM Detailed Guide
Destiny Flawless Raider Tips and Tricks
Destiny Cheesing Bounties Guide
Destiny Crota’s End No Cheesing Guide
Destiny Crota’s End Raid Leader’s Guide
Destiny Faction Weapons, Shaders and Ships List
Destiny Gunslinger Guide
Destiny Extremely Fast Strikes Guide
Destiny The Dark Below Video Guides
Destiny Eris/Xur Bounty Guide
Destiny Crota’s End Solo Video Guides Compilation
Destiny Currencies and Materials Guide
Destiny Dead Ghost Locations Guide
Destiny Eris/Xur Urn Bounty Easy Guide
Destiny Crota’s End All Phases Guide
Destiny Crota’s End Phase 4 Quick Guide
Destiny Crota’s End Detailed Information
Destiny Defeating Crota Guide
Destiny Crota’s End Guide
Destiny Preparing for The Dark Below Guide
Destiny The Dark Below Raid Item Checklist
Destiny Flawless Raider Guide
Destiny Eris Morn Guide
Destiny Updated Leveling Up Guide
Destiny Enemy Weapon Damage Guide
Destiny Templar Raid Guide
Destiny One Shot Snipers Guide
Destiny Strange Change Guide
Destiny Best Weapon of Each Type for Crucible
Destiny Control Player Improvement Guide
Destiny Iron Banner Detailed Guide
Destiny Iron Banner Basic Tips
Destiny Quick 300 Materials on Any Planet Guide
Destiny Energy Drain Guide
Destiny Iron Banner Guide
Destiny Beating Atheon with Randoms
Destiny Collecting Ascendant Materials Guide
Destiny Guardian Optimizing Guide
Destiny Early Endgame Guide
Destiny Weapon Loadouts Guide
Destiny Vault of Glass Loot Table
Destiny A Dubious Task Guide
Destiny Atheon Hard Mode Comprehensive Guide
Destiny Atheon and Gatekeepers Hard Mode Guide
Destiny Hand Cannons in Crucible Guide
Destiny The Last Word Guide
Destiny Truth Guide
Destiny Titan Bubble Shield PvP Guide
Destiny Crucible Tips
Destiny Patience and Time Guide
Destiny Atheon In-Depth Guide
Destiny Bounties List
Destiny Tiger Strikes High Level Guide
Destiny Crucible Auto Rifles Guide
Destiny Time Efficient Way to Play Guide
Destiny How to Get Upgrade Materials Guide
Destiny Efficient Material Farming Guide
Destiny Titan Defender PvE Bubble Guide
Destiny How to Relic in Vault of Glass Guide
Destiny New Player’s Leveling Guide
Destiny Vault of Glass Relic Guide
Destiny Chest Farming Runs Guide
Destiny Thorn Bounty Tips
Destiny Fast Leveling Guide
Destiny Atheon Hard Mode Guide
Destiny Xyor Solo Guide
Destiny Gear and Light Quick Guide
Destiny Titan Exotic Armor
Destiny Sunsinger Basic Guide
Destiny Grimoire Cards Bonus Effects List
Destiny Exotic Gun Previews
Destiny Materials Farming Guide
Destiny Xyor Killing Guide
Destiny VoG Beginner’s Quick Guide
Destiny Endgame Detailed Guide
Destiny Hunter Exotic Armor Choices
Destiny Patrol Mission Solo Grinding Guide
Destiny Vault of Glass Condensed Guide
Destiny Gunslinger Tips
Destiny Vault of Glass Tips and Tricks
Destiny Frequently Asked Questions
Destiny Leveling Up Guide
Destiny Crucible Beginner’s Guide
Destiny Ascendant Shards Basic Guide
Destiny Bounty Complete Guide
Destiny Weapon Mods Guide
Destiny Max Light Level and Raid Gear Guide
Destiny Solo Weekly Nightfall and Heroic Strike Guide
Destiny Newbie’s Guide to Strikes
Destiny Skull Modifiers List
Destiny Legendary Armor Guide
Destiny All Exotic Bounties Guide
Destiny Vault of Glass Tips and Guide
Destiny Impact vs Attack Analysis
Destiny Exotic Invective Shotgun Bounty Guide
Destiny Eye of a Gate Lord Solo Guide
Destiny Basic Overall Guide
Destiny Redeemable Codes List
Destiny Light Levels Guide
Destiny Ascendant Shard Farming and Lvl 30 Grind Guide
Destiny PvP Tips and Guide
Destiny Dead Ghosts and Golden Chests Guide
Destiny Trophy Guide
Destiny Vault of Glass Detailed Walkthrough
Destiny Crucible Tips and Tricks
Destiny Gunslinger Tips and Tricks
Destiny Hitting Level 26 Reliably Guide
Destiny Ishtar Sink Nightfall Guide
Destiny Bladedancer Tips and Tricks
Destiny Endgame Guide
Destiny Weapon Stats Guide
Destiny Sunsinger Tips and Analysis
Destiny Bubble Titan Guide
Destiny Exotic Hand Cannon Weapon Bounty Guide
Destiny Summoning Pits Nightfall Guide
Destiny Optimal Build for Nightfall and Raids
Destiny 100 Iron Per Hour Farming Run
Destiny Hunter In-Depth Guide
Destiny Post Level 20 Things To Do
Destiny Dead Ghosts Locations Guide
Destiny Level 20 Tips
Destiny Guns Rarity Information
Destiny Tips and Tricks
Destiny Vault of Glass Guide
Destiny Raid Gear and Rewards Guide
Destiny PvE Class Comparison Guide
Destiny Elemental and Shields Guide
Destiny PvP Crucible Strategy Guide
Destiny Sparrow Guide
Destiny Public Events Guide
Destiny Beating Devil Walker Nightfall Difficulty Guide
Destiny Hunter Bladedancer Blink Build Guide
Destiny Glimmer Farming Guide
Destiny Max Vanguard Marks in 3 Hours Guide
Destiny Factions Guide
Destiny Vanguard, Faction Rep and Vanguard Marks Guide
Destiny After Level 20 Guide
Destiny Fastest Reputation Farming Guide
Destiny All Farming Methods Guide