GW2 Dungeon Class Roles Guide by rich-platinum-ore
Without traditional roles like tank/healer in Gw2 PVE, there is however the ‘trinity’ of:
- DPS (Group Buffs, Rotations, Gear/Traits, Nourishment)
- Control (Conditions, Disables, Positioning, Area Denial)
- Support (Boons, Aegis, Cleansing, Reflects, Stealth, Blasting, Conditions)
All professions are able to occupy these 3 overlapping roles at the same time depending on utilities chosen. Active Defense is achieved by utilizing Control + Support and at the same time DPSing without having to rely on Passive Defenses (Toughness/Vitality stats).
This guide aims to show where certain profession skills can benefit the party for specific Dungeon encounters. For a very in depth explanation of combat in Gw2, check out this great beginner’s guide.
- Group buffs: Warrior’s Banners of Strength/Discipline (this should be used whenever possible), Ranger’s Frost Spirit, Mesmer’s Timewarp, Guardian (Tome of Wrath for Quickness), (if Traited) Warrior’s Empower Allies, Ranger’s Spotter.
- Rotations: What sets a fast kill time apart from others (in solos for example) is in skill rotations. Knowing your class DPS rotations is the best way to maximize damage output.
- Nourishment: Potions appropriate for the Dungeon / Skale Venom should be used whenever possible for the damage boost. DnT’s guide to consumables for dungeons.
- Conditions: Chill, Cripple, Immobilize, Fear
- Disables: Stun/Daze, Launch, Knockdown, Push/Pull, Fear, Icebow Deep Freeze, Blinds
- Disabling a dangerous attack is always helpful besides mitigating it, Elite/Silver trash mobs (like Risen/Golems/Icebrood) can often be stunned/interrupted to prevent their high damage.
- Blinding mobs below Champion Rank, is helpful for surviving trash mobs especially Elites, keeping up blind uptime for the group can make a difference between a wipe and a clean fight.
- For Blinds, Thieves can use Smokescreen/Pistol #5/Guardian cycling Leap of Faith, Focus #4 and spamming Virtue of Justice (Traited)/Engi with Smoke Bomb/Ele with Glyph of Storms on Earth Attunement, Necromancer with Wells.
- Positioning: by using control skills to position foes, grouping enemies into a wall or corner dramatically improves your party’s damage, as melee weapons will cleave through them with ease.
- Mesmer focus Curtain/GS #5 push, Thief Scorpion Wire, Engi Magnetic Pull, Guardian Binding Blades/Banish, Ranger Point Black Shot
- Area Denial: Line of warding, Ring of Warding, Unsteady Ground, Static Field, Sanctuary
- Useful for skips (by placing Line to stop following mobs), allowing time to DPS Gravelings/Breeder in Spikes part of AC P2, or general trash.
- Boons (Might, Fury, Protection, Regen etc).
- Useful to prevent Imprisonment Crystal by Alpha in COE, Paralyze by Undergrowth Stonetouch in TA Up, Petrified by Simin in Arah P4.
- For bosses like Sure Shot in CM P3 where his attacks knockdown.
- Block hard hitting attacks like COE destroyer’s Dragon Tooth so party can focus on DPS.
- Cleansing Conditions
- Removing bleed stacks / confusion / burning quickly will help low HP classes.
- Removing weakness that hampers party DPS.
- Projectile defense
- Guardians when traited are able to keep up Reflection uptime by chaining Wall of Reflection/Shield of the Avenger and Sanctuary.
- Mesmer Feedback, traited Wardens and Temporal Curtain also has high reflect uptime for projectile heavy bosses like Alphard in Arah P2/Mage Crusher in Arah P3/Lyssa in Arah P4 for example.
- In groups without Guardian/Mesmer, a Thief can use Daggerstorm/Smokescreen, an Ele with focus Swirling Winds, Ranger axe Whirling Defense.
- Chaining reflect skills would allow the party to burst melee the Dredge Carrier in SE P3.
- Blasting combo fields for area might, healing, stealth
- Warriors/Eles/Thieves are ideal because of many blasting skills.
- Boon stripping
- Mesmers can strip boons with Null Field and Phantasmal Disenchanter.
- Useful for Security Golem in COE, Dredge in Sorrow’s Embrace and Fractals, and Risen Hunters in Arah.
- Stripping Defiance
- Defiance prevents Control skills from being effective unless Defiant stacks are stripped. Coordinating or having a player dedicated to stripping Defiance speeds up the fight by disabling some of the Boss attacks. A good use of this is Champion Abomination in Arah p2 that goes into Berserker state, this attack can be disabled so guns don’t have to be used. Bosses like Malrona that is not immune to Control can also be Defiance stripped for Deep Freeze.
- Thieves are ideal to manage stripping Defiance on Bosses with Pistol 4.
- Mesmers can also use Mantra of Distraction.
- Vulnerability: Besides capping Might, stacking Vuln is desirable to amplify the damage dealt. Engineers are great at stacking Vuln.
- Weakness: Strong in Fractals and for trash mobs like Risen Berserkers. Warrior warhorn is often used to provide AOE weakness.
- Chill: Useful for Elite trash mobs or bosses like Volcanic Fractal’s Imbued Shaman.
- If a Thief pings Smokescreen/Blinding Powder, help blast it to extend stealth duration for the group. If there are sufficient blasts, there would be no need to waste a slot on cooldown for Shadow Refuge.
- Portals can help in skips and coordinated to speed up runs.
- Swiftness (Warrior ideally swapping to warhorn to give party swiftness in between fights, also blasting Ele’s Static Field allows stacking longer swiftness for a skip).
- A ranger’s bear pet is useful to draw the aggro of some bosses like Champion Ettin and Little Tom in Fractals.
- A pet can also be used to bait strong attacks when pulling dangerous enemies, such as Champion Icebrood Wolf in CoE.
- A Guardian with Knights armor is often able to draw aggro from teammates.
- Allowing someone to attack mobs first, while others not attack makes it easier to kite said mob around and away from the party.
Some unexhaustive (and preferably lesser known) examples, by all means not complete so feel free to correct/add tips.Other Guild Wars 2 Articles
Guild Wars 2 Gathering Run Guide
Guild Wars 2 Getting to Level 80 Guide
Guild Wars 2 PvE Farming Guide
Guild Wars 2 Chronomancer Advanced Combo Guide
Guild Wars 2 Large Airship Cargo Guide
Guild Wars 2 Mesmer Builds For Raids
Guild Wars 2 Combo Fields and Finishers Guide
Guild Wars 2 Ways to Level Guide
Guild Wars 2 Performance Guide
Guild Wars 2 Full AR Guide Without Armor
Guild Wars 2 Necromancer Signet Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 Active Damage Avoidance Guide
Guild Wars 2 Guardian Fractals Shard by Shard Guide
Guild Wars 2 Guardian Dungeons Path by Path Guide
Guild Wars 2 Solo Guild Missions Guide
Guild Wars 2 Inventory Management Guide For New Players
Guild Wars 2 Powerful Venom Sac and Heavy Bag of Supplies Farming Guide
Guild Wars 2 Chest Farming Guide
Guild Wars 2 Mordrem Husk Copper Guide
Guild Wars 2 PvE Beginner’s Guide
Guild Wars 2 General Options Guide
Guild Wars 2 Uncanny Canner 20 Slot Bag Guide
Guild Wars 2 Solo Tower in WvW Guide
Guild Wars 2 Mastery Descriptions List
Guild Wars 2 Why Am I Lagging Guide
Guild Wars 2 Creating and Testing Your Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 sPvP Rank 80 Guide
Guild Wars 2 Salvaging and Forging Max Profits Guide
Guild Wars 2 sPvP Conquest Guide
Guild Wars 2 Bioluminescence Collection Guide
Guild Wars 2 Newbie’s PvP Guide
Guild Wars 2 Tangled Paths Story Achievements
Guild Wars 2 Silverwastes Survival Guide
Guild Wars 2 Silverwastes Guide
Guild Wars 2 Cursed Shore Guide
GW2 Dungeon Class Roles Guide
Guild Wars 2 Trash Collector Guide
Guild Wars 2 Party Politics Achievement Guide
Guild Wars 2 T4 Dry Top Tips and Mechanics
Guild Wars 2 Warrior Dungeon Speed Run Build
Guild Wars 2 Dry Top Timers Guide
Guild Wars 2 Quick Daily Guide
Guild Wars 2 Combat System Guide
Guild Wars 2 Profession Choosing Guide
Guild Wars 2 Legendary Weapon Crafting Guide
Guild Wars 2 Artificer Level 0 to 400 Fast Guide
Guild Wars 2 Jeweler Leveling Guide
Guild Wars 2 Cooking Ingredients Locations Guide
Guild Wars 2 Structured PvP Basics Guide
Guild Wars 2 Survive Against Heart Seeker Thieves Guide
Guild Wars 2 New Player Tips
Guild Wars 2 Giganticus Lupicus Guide
Guild Wars 2 Engineer Melee Assault Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 Mystic Forge Recipes Research
Guild Wars 2 Engineer Comprehensive Guide
Guild Wars 2 Temple of Grenth Tips and Tricks
Guild Wars 2 Mystic Forge Recipes Guide
Guild Wars 2 PvP Gear Crafting Basic Guide
Guild Wars 2 Mining Routes Guide
Guild Wars 2 Cooking 0 to 400 Guide
Guild Wars 2 Crafting Complete Guide
Guild Wars 2 Inventory Space Management Guide
Guild Wars 2 Acronyms List
Guild Wars 2 Equipment Attributes Guide
Guild Wars 2 Warrior Sample Builds Guide
Guild Wars 2 Warrior Power Rifle Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 Mesmer Builds Guide
Guild Wars 2 Necromancer Tips and Conditions List
Guild Wars 2 Ranger Pet Location Maps
Guild Wars 2 Daily Achievements Guide
Guild Wars 2 Thief Skills Complete Guide
Guild Wars 2 Thief Might and Mobility Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 Ranger Pet Commands Guide
Guild Wars 2 Thief Pistol/Dagger, Dagger/Dagger Swap Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 Warrior Lazy Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 Thief High Damage Build
Guild Wars 2 Guardian Judgement Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 Guardian Traits Tiers List Guide
Guild Wars 2 PvP Beginner’s Guide
Guild Wars 2 Elementalist Unkillable Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 Ranger Tournament PvP Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 Mesmer Beginner’s Guide
Guild Wars 2 Necromancer PvP Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 Cooking Guide
Guild Wars 2 Warrior Ranged Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 Hall of Monuments Comprehensive Guide
Guild Wars 2 sPvP Beginner’s Guide
Guild Wars 2 WvW Professions Guide
Guild Wars 2 All Sylvari Vistas Locations Guide
Guild Wars 2 Jeweling Recipes List
Guild Wars 2 Guardian PvP Comprehensive Guide
Guild Wars 2 Necromancer PvP Comprehensive Guide
Guild Wars 2 Mesmer PvP Comprehensive Guide
Guild Wars 2 Thief PvP Comprehensive Guide
Guild Wars 2 Warrior Greatsword PvP Guide
Guild Wars 2 Armorsmith 0 to 400 Guide
Guild Wars 2 Making Money Guide
Guild Wars 2 Getting Glory Guide
Guild Wars 2 Ascalonian Catacombs Guide
Guild Wars 2 Crafting Introduction
Guild Wars 2 Money Managing Tips
Guild Wars 2 Getting Level 80 Gear Guide
Guild Wars 2 Tips and Tricks
Guild Wars 2 Grendich Gamble Puzzle Solution Guide
Guild Wars 2 Thief PvE Dungeon D/D Build Guide
Guild Wars 2 Ranger Longbow/Shortbow Signet Build
Guild Wars 2 Elementalist Comprehensive Guide
Guild Wars 2 Boons to Conditions Conversion Guide
Guild Wars 2 Engineer sPvP Guide
Guild Wars 2 Ranger Comprehensive Guide
Guild Wars 2 Ranger Pet Guide
Guild Wars 2 PvP System Details
Guild Wars 2 Game Mechanics Details
Guild Wars 2 FAQ
Guild Wars 2 PvP Builds Guide
Guild Wars 2 Warrior Information
Guild Wars 2 Thief Information
Guild Wars 2 Ranger Information
Guild Wars 2 Necromancer Information
Guild Wars 2 Mesmer Information
Guild Wars 2 Guardian Information
Guild Wars 2 Elementalist Introduction
Guild Wars 2 Elementalist Skills and Combos Guide
Guild Wars 2 Elementalist Boons Guide
Guild Wars 2 Elementalist Conditions Guide
Guild Wars 2 Elementalist Movement Control Guide
Guild Wars 2 Crafting Basic Information
Guild Wars 2 Choosing A Profession Guide
Guild Wars 2 Complete Skills List