League of Legends Riven Basic Guide by HDCommentary
Back in the days I used to be a Riven main, bought all the skins and played her every single game. Lately I’ve gotten a lot of requests to make a guide for Riven, and I’ve finally done it. The guide explains you how to play Riven in general (how to use combos and basic mechanics), how to play the laning phase and how to teamfight. If there are any additional questions, feel free to ask them below.
- Riven is a very versatile champion with insane damage output and a ton of mobility. When played well, you can destroy anyone on lane with this champion. So therefore, I will teach you how to play Riven and how to destroy people with it.
- In the guide we will be talking about a couple of things. First of all we’ll go over her basic mechanics. Then we’ll talk about the ways you can combine combo’s to execute them faster.
- When you know how she works and how to use her skills effectively we’ll cover laning and teamfighting.
- So without further a do, let’s get started with her mechanics.
- Riven’s passive adds additional bonus damage onto your auto attacks after using a skill. This can charge this up to 3 times. To make good use of this passive, you should always try to auto attack your enemy between skills to make sure you deal the most amount of damage.
- Riven’s Q steps forward and slashes everything in front of her. This skill can be used 3 times in a row within a 4 second cooldown. The third slash knocks your enemies up. The skill slashes towards your cursor when you are hovering over an enemy. If you are not, the skill slashes into the direction she is currently facing.
- Riven’s W deals damage to everyone around her and stuns them for 0.75 seconds.
- Riven’s E dashes you towards the direction of your cursor and grants you a shield that scales on your AD. The more AD you have, the more shield you’re going to get.
- Riven’s ultimate grants riven a bigger sword for 15 seconds. This gives you 75 bonus attack range and 20% bonus AD during the time. Also your range of your Q and W are slightly increased.
- When you have enabled your ultimate, you can use it again to shoot a cone of physical damage towards a direction. This skill deals more damage when your targets are low on health, so use it as an executional spell. It has its most increased damage when the enemy has 25% health or less.
- As you can see, her skills allow you to be very mobile while still dealing a ton of damage. Let’s take a look on how to use these skills together.
- Using riven’s combo’s is all about cancelling animations. This is done by quickly doing something after using a skill. For instance, you can use your Q and cancel the animation with an auto attack after that. This way you can perform your combo really fast and you have auto attacks in between for extra damage.
- As main damage output I use a combo that almost doesn’t allow counterplay. Firstly, Use your E to get close to your target. Then follow it up with a Q, auto attack, q, auto attack, q, autoattack, W and walk away after the stun.
- This way your shield will catch most of the incoming damage, while you deal a lot of damage. Then when your Q combo is finished we end it with a stun, that will make it easy for you to disengage without catching too much damage in return.
- Then we have another nice trick that makes your combo’s execute faster. When you combine your E with a skill followed up with it, the second skill executes while you’re dashing. You can use this to engage fast, for instance by using your stun while dashing. This is almost too fast for counter play.
- Remember to always try to auto attack inbetween skills for maximum damage output. This cancels animations and it gives a lot of extra damage because of her passive.
- Alright, let’s go over to how to play the lane with Riven.
- When the first wave comes in, try to push it a little bit. You should try to get level 2 first because then you will be able to all-in your opponent without any problems.
- On level 1 you can already try to trade some damage with your opponent. Take Q first and do the Q – auto attack combo to deal a ton of damage. When your target is low and you hit level 2, you can flash on him to finish the job.
- At 3 minutes ingame you should worry about junglers. Play a bit safer and place your trinket to secure you some vision.
- When your opponent goes for a lasthit you can strike by doing the combo I said earlier, where you use your E-Q combo to initiate, and finish it with a stun to walk away unharmed.
- At level 6 you can do an all-in again. Use your ultimate before you go in, and try to kill him. Even if you don’t entirely kill him but you get him low it’s all good. Push the wave in, get another wave and go back.
- Keep pressuring your opponent. Riven is one of the best duelists in the game so when played correctly you should be winning most of the trades.
- Everytime you have your ultimate up, try to make use of it. The cooldown is relatively low as you level the skill up and it forces your opponent out of lane most of the time. When he recalls, push hard.
- Are you ahead on lane and you’re getting ganked? No problem. With riven you are able to 1v2 people thanks to her insane AOE damage. You almost deal the same amount of damage to both players, so you should be able to take them on. When you are ahead it is often the best strategy to push really hard.
- Splitpushing with Riven is probably the best strategy if you want to win your game. Force their entire team top all the time, keep pressuring and make plays. You should have a couple of wards in their jungle to make sure you’re not getting ganked by 3 or more people, because that situation is hard to win. Then it’s best to just walk away.
- Teamfighting with Riven is a bit harder. Usually you’re pretty squishy and when they stun you 1 time you’re dead, so it’s crucial to have a guardian angel before you try to fight, unless you are a tank riven. When you have guardian angel, dive for the squishies on their team and oneshot them. Deal as much damage as you can before you die, because your team will be the cleanup crew from that point on. It is best to have flash up before engaging a fight with Riven.
- You can also try a more safe way of teamfighting, which focusses on protecting your carries. Stay in the backline and kill everyone who gets close to your carries. Assassins especially are easy to kill this way.
- You will figure out yourself what you like the best. I know Riven’s who like to go for a tanky riven, while I really dislike playing that kind of Riven. I’d rather to a ton of damage and make plays with that. It’s what you choose, so for item builds I recommend you to figure it out yourself and look at one of the Solomid’s guides. I will link a few in the description.
- Also for runes and masteries you can have a look in the description. I am not specialized on that area and I often use the ones they tell me to use in written guides on Solomid.
- I hope this has helped you to understand Riven. If you wish to play Riven like a boss I strongly recommend you to watch BoxBox’s his streams. He inspired me to play Riven because of his amazing mechanics. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the comment section below.
LoL Jungler Korea Challenger/Master Builds
LoL Marksmen Korea Challenger/Master Builds
LoL Top Lane Korea Challenger/Master Builds
LoL Support’s Guide
LoL Lane Micro Decisions Guide
LoL Jungle In-Depth Guide for Any Elo
LoL Playing Against Vlad Guide
LoL Ziggs Stop Your Team From Being Snowballed Guide
LoL Riven Combos and Animation Cancelling Guide
LoL Ranked 5s Beginner’s Guide
LoL Map Pressure and Control Guide
LoL AP Ezreal Guide
LoL How to Carry as Support
LoL Roaming as Support Guide
LoL Being A Good Shot Caller Guide
LoL Escaping Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum Guide
LoL Miss Fortune In-Depth Guide
LoL Sion Matchups Guide
LoL Rammus Top Guide
LoL Udyr In-Depth Guide
LoL Improving Map Awareness Guide
LoL Graves In-Depth Guide
LoL Caitlyn In-Depth Guide
LoL Olaf Diamond Guide
LoL Yorick Guide
LoL Pro Riven Combos Guide
LoL Banner of Command Guide
LoL Wukong Solo Top Lane Guide
LoL Tryndamere Diamond II Guide
LoL Anti Heimerdinger Tips and Counters
LoL Azir Guide
League of Legends Vi Diamond Guide
LoL Vayne In-Depth Guide
LoL ADC Role Tips
LoL Trading in Lane Guide
LoL Wukong Jungle Guide
LoL Alistar Jungle Guide
LoL Jungling Fundamentals Guide
LoL Top Laner Warding Guide
LoL Zz’Rot Portal Top Lane Guide
LoL Carrying Yourself to Diamond Guide
LoL Skarner Jungle Guide
LoL Climbing SoloQ Guide
LoL Counterjungling Guide
LoL Cho’gath Jungle Guide
LoL Jungler When To Help Laners Guide
LoL Teemo Beginner’s Guide
LoL Improving in SoloQ Guide
LoL Nocturne Mechanics Guide
LoL Shaco Teamfighting Guide
LoL Zac Top Lane Guide
LoL Improving in Ranked Fives Guide
LoL Vayne Quick Guide
LoL Elixir of Ruin Tip
LoL Season 5 Jungle Guide
LoL Blitzcrank Carrying Guide
LoL Carrying with Support Guide
LoL Gnar Top Lane Guide
LoL ADC Lane Management Tips
LoL Fizz Guide
LoL Developing Mechanics Guide
LoL How to Win Guide
LoL Vi Tips and Tricks
LoL Champion Select Basic Guide
LoL Shot Calling Guide
LoL Win with a Sightstone Guide
LoL High Elo Marksman Guide
LoL Ranked and Midlane Tips
LoL Vi Jungle Guide
LoL Jarvan IV Jungle Guide
LoL Rek’Sai Jungle Guide
LoL Improving Any Champion Guide
LoL Twisted Fate Jungle Guide by Kikis
LoL Lux Support Guide
League of Legends Kikis Jungle TF Rune Page
LoL New Jungle Strategies
LoL Jungle Tier List
LoL Jungle Nautilus Guide
LoL New Jungle Guide
LoL Rune Pages Quick Guide
LoL Improving Your Skill Guide
LoL Ziggs Quick Guide
LoL Malzahar Guide
LoL Janna In-Depth Guide
LoL Soraka Health Regen Sustain Guide
LoL Singed Quick Guide
LoL Rammus Jungle Guide
LoL Bot Lane 10 Common Mistakes
LoL Soraka Diamond 1 Guide
LoL How To Play When Losing
LoL Bottom Lane Dynamics Guide
LoL AP Varus Guide
LoL Carrying as Support Guide
LoL Bot Lane Matchups Diamond Support Guide
LoL Spending Your First 18K IP Guide
LoL Ryze Tips
LoL Bronze to Gold Guide
LoL Bans Quick List
LoL Veigar Tips
LoL Ascension Mode Tips
LoL Ascension Guide
LoL Blue Ezreal Guide
LoL Top 5 AD Carries Guide
LoL Top 5 Supports Guide
LoL Gnar Top Line Tips and Tricks
LoL Jungling Beginner’s Guide
LoL Correct Approach to Bans Guide
LoL Bush Control for Supports Guide
LoL Champions Summary List
LoL Feral Jungle Yi Guide
LoL Climbing Ranked in 5v5 Teams Guide
LoL Ability to Max List
LoL Teamfighting as Support Guide
LoL Riven Skill Order Tips
LoL AD Carry Basic Guide
LoL Feral Flare Fastest Route Guide
LoL Jungling Guide
LoL Warding Guide
LoL Warwick Diamond 1 Guide
League of Legends Starting Item Choices Guide
League of Legends Top Lane Guide
League of Legends Tips to Escape Bronze and Silver
League of Legends Machine Gun Lulu Guide
League of Legends Bottom Lane Tips
League of Legends Gold Rank Guide
League of Legends Silver Rank Guide
League of Legends Bronze Rank Guide
League of Legends Jungle Shaco Guide
League of Legends Roaming as Support Guide
League of Legends Maokai Guide
League of Legends Support Tips
League of Legends Thresh Top AD Guide
League of Legends Riven Basic Guide
League of Legends Elise Builds Guide
League of Legends Support Guide
League of Legends Jungling Basic Guide
League of Legends Twisted Fate Basic Guide
League of Legends Basic Mechanics Guide
League of Legends Minions In-depth Guide
League of Legends Lee Sin Tips
League of Legends Nidalee Top Lane Guide
League of Legends Yasuo Guide
League of Legends Picks and Bans Guide
League of Legends Ideal Masteries Pages Guide
League of Legends Ideal Rune Pages Guide
League of Legends Common Questions
League of Legends Acronyms and Terms Glossary
League of Legends Most Efficient Runes for Maximum DPS
League of Legends Vayne Season 4 Guide
League of Legends Get Out of Bronze and Silver Guide
League of Legends How to be Successful Guide
League of Legends Free RP through Bing Rewards Guide
League of Legends Pro Tips Compilation
When to Build Health, Armor or Magic Resistance? – League of Legends
League of Legends Competitive Rune Analysis and Ranking Guide
League of Legends Disable Skill Shot Arrow Targeting Thingy!
League of Legends Champion Interaction
Singed 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
LeBlanc 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Poppy 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Ryze 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
League of Legends Primary Runes List
Kennen 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Sion 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Blitzcrank 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Kog’Maw 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Cho’Gath 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Master Yi 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Evelynn 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Veigar 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Mordekaiser 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends
Ashe 30 Seconds Quick Guide – League of Legends