Hearthstone Haunted Creeper Midrange Hunter Legendary Rank Deck by Olgic
I did not keep track of my games via 3rd party programs so I have no idea about winrate but I strictly only played midrange hunter from ~rank 6 and having wins on the class prior(like 80-100 or something) I just tried to subtract. Going from estimated statistics that’s around 55% win rate or something. Yes some luck will always be involved but to quote Seneca: Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. I am by no means the end all be all and am barely decent.
Playstyle overview: With midrange hunter its all about tempo aka putting down lasting minions and making mana efficient plays while forcing your opponent to make mana inefficient plays to kill your minions while utilizing that tempo to gain effective board control and whittle them down to ultimately finish them off. With this kind of deck and the availability of tracking you need to understand your win condition(how will I finish them off?) and what is left in your deck to play optimally.
Key things to note:
- In current meta you must be able to comfortably face zoo with any decklist.
- In general with midgame hunter unless you’re going for the kill next turn and cant get killed yourself (Or can’t prevent force savage combo for example) developing board control > damage on face.
In general plays like this are very hard to answer so the damage per turn(dpt) adds up. In order for the shaman to answer this effectively he needs spell totem into earth shock into lightning bolt/rockbiter, so now you know that he doesn’t have these cards anymore.
Explaining certain cards(Aka why haunted creeper is good and nice curve):
- 2x Hunter’s Mark: Allows you to easily get rid of large threats(legendaries, ancient of war, etc.) and minimize their trading potential but also most importantly is that it can provide a great tempo play (hunter marking zoo 4/4 or 5/7 charger).
- 2x Tracking: Amazing card that allows you to setup a perfect play or dig for finishers/combos. Arguably best card in the game.
- 2x Stonetusk Boar: Extremely useful card that combos with most cards in the deck. I’ve been tempo playing it turn 1 against druids in an attempt to force wild growth vs. hero power decision unsure if this is 100% correct. Its not that good played turn 1 against zoo.
- 1x Timber Wolf: Okay card that again combos with starving buzzard/kill command and rarely with hunter’s mark/houndmaster. But most importantly it combos with UTH.
- 2x Explosive Trap: Used to run 2x freezing but lolzoo. Prone to popping nerubian egg but is a solid turn 2/coin play against aggressive start.
- 1x Freezing Trap: Extremely useful tempo card, can be used to counter innervated creatures like yeti or to just delay the game.
- 2x Haunted Creeper: Amazing card that allows you to fit creatures on curve early on. Very annoying to kill and is also kinda useful in baiting silences. Playing this turn 2 > hero power.
- 1x Ironbeak Owl: Can silence taunts for the kill, and prevent annoying creatures/deathrattles/nerubian egg. Can also combo with starving in desperation situations.
- 2x Starving Buzzard: Only card drawing mechanic for hunters but a great one.
- 2x Eaglehorn Bow: You are a board control deck first, kill second. Save up charges unless you’re pushing for damage/have two bows in hand but try to plan out mana curve.
- 2x Animal Companion: Coin animal companion turn 2 into animal companion turn 3. Combo UTH/Haunted creeper with leokk. Huffer for damage (but is most easily removed) or get a 3 mana 4/4.
- 2x Kill Commands: 3 mana for 5 damage /finisher/yeti killer/removal.
- 2x Houndmaster: Amazing card and insane turn 4 tempo play. Creates hard to answer boards.
- 2x Oasis Snapjaw: insane stats for card but low attack however it is very durable especially against zoo/druids. Coin oasis into houndmaster is ridiculous. Prone to getting sapped but still good.
- 1x Savannah Highmane: Great tempo card that is very difficult to answer properly when its played on a clear board aside from hex/poly(which almost takes up whole turn early game).
- 1x Leeroy Jenkins: 4 mana for 6 dmg finisher card, combo with UTH+timber for 10 dmg combo on a clear board with +2 dmg per enemy minion or just UTH. Very rarely used outside of finisher. Arcane golem is a very ineffective replacement.
Possible considerations: Flare – Gives solid turn 1 play + completely counters freeze mage.
Mulligan: Always try to find a nice curve (turn 1 tracking, turn 2 creeper, turn 3 animal companion, turn 4 houndmaster). If you’re on coin trying to obtain uth+buzzard against shaman/zoo is fine(still need turn 2/3 play outside of that). If you’re not on coin keeping uth+buzzard is a turn 5 play which gives you only one guaranteed playable early game card aka no. Because midrange deck is full of good early game cards its also a bit difficult to have terrible early start.
- Zoo: You are on the defensive early on. You want to prevent their dpt as much as possible. You need early game cards. Explosive/Freezing answers flame/knife juggler or the shattered sun/young priestess that buffs it. Nerubian egg is interesting because it delays the game a bit which is good for you but bad against explosive trap. Animal companion almost always trades 1 for 2 (Soulfire+discarded card, or huffer breaking through voidwalker+other minion). Eaglehorn bow is good because it also trades 1 for 2. Kill command is decent only if you have no other plays, its good for killing the beefier creatures zoo contains. If you’re getting pressured hard then preemptive uth isn’t bad(unless he has voidwalker up). Try to save hunter’s mark for 5/7 charger unless using it on 4/4 gives clear board/huge tempo play.
- Druid: Turn 1 stonetusk boar gives interesting decision, to wild growth or hero power. If he innervates yeti/teacher coin kill command answers nicely. Less useful if no followup turn 2 play. Druids generally play slightly slower so keeping oasis isn’t entirely bad because druids also generally lack hard removal. Freezing trap innervated creatures. Savannah highmane is very difficult for a druid to properly answer with a clear board.
- Shamans: Has the best answers out of any class I feel however they lack any heals. You want a good curve and baiting out hex prior to savannah highmane isn’t bad but sometimes playing it down is a must. You can generally win as long as you draw into uth but try not to drag out the game too much as they can easily outvalue you.
- Freeze Mage: Try to force them to activate your deathrattles with their aoe. You generally have enough dmg to proc ice block prior to turn 9 giving them a difficult dilemma. Hunter’s mark deals well with the 0/7. If you’re facing many of them just swap in a flare and mulligan aggressively for it.
- Handlock: Can generally win out due to easy access to direct damage. Don’t be afraid to leeroy as long as you can execute him the after as leeroy cannot get in any damage effectively with taunts in the way. The most a warlock can heal is alexstraza on turn 9 and prior to that double earthen ring farseer for 6 or siphon soul for 3. Don’t burst him for moltens unless you’re 100% sure you can kill. Freezing trap kills the mountain giant.
- Priest: Same as druid. Try not to overextend too hard into their aoes and keep in mind your finishers. If they have an a soulpriest then they can’t heal.
- Control Warrior: Only faced ~2-ish. You need a smooth curve and board control. Keeping buzzard isn’t entirely bad as you need to keep up board control/pressure.
- Aggro decks: Same thing with zoo but more aggressive. You want to minimize their dpt. Freezing trap is great. I’ve beaten most aggro hunters with animal companions+houndmaster.
- Paladins: You want to close out the game on turn 8/9 as they can easily beat you out in the late game. They’re hard pressed to find a proper answer for your minions. Only faced a few of these guys.
Helpful videos? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGMRRfOiYRE
Do I stream? No because my net is okay at best but I can if people want to watch midrange hunter.
Shoutout to lifecoach the original premier midrange hunter player who also has a ridiculously informative and entertaining stream: http://www.twitch.tv/lifecoach1981 (He plays shaman now.)
Feel free to leave any questions and do leave any possible recommendations to the deck/improvements.Other Hearthstone Articles
Hearthstone Pirate Warrior In-Depth Guide
Hearthstone Old Gods Ultimate Control Warrior Guide
Hearthstone N’zoth Renolock Rank 1 Legend Deck Guide
Hearthstone Yogg Tempo Mage Legendary Deck Guide
Hearthstone Control Warrior Ultimate Guide
Hearthstone Legendary Crafting Guide 2016
Hearthstone Face Shaman Guide
Hearthstone Malygos Freeze Mage Guide
Hearthstone Fatigue Warrior Guide
Hearthstone Mill Rogue In-Depth Guide
Hearthstone Legend Illuminator Freeze Mage Deck
Hearthstone Legend Midrange Secret Paladin Deck
Hearthstone Arena Detailed Guide
Hearthstone Decision Making Checklist
Hearthstone Competitive Guide for Casual Players
Hearthstone How to Hit Legend Guide
Hearthstone Playing Around Secrets in Arena Guide
Hearthstone Crafting and Deck Guide for New Players
Hearthstone Attacking the Right Minion Guide
Hearthstone Arena In-Depth Beginner’s Guide
Hearthstone Building a Collection Guide
Hearthstone Gang Up Mill Rogue Guide
Hearthstone BRM Wing 1 Heroic Decklists
Hearthstone Blackrock Mountain New Cards
Hearthstone Legend Control Paladin Deck
Hearthstone Oil Rogue Guide
Hearthstone Beginner’s Legendary Crafting Guide
Hearthstone Combo Warlock Guide
Hearthstone GvG Arena Class Tier List
Hearthstone Fatigue Mage Deck
Hearthstone Legend Handlock Deck
Hearthstone Mill Druid Guide
Hearthstone Paladin Buffadin Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Druid Hobgoblin Token Deck
Hearthstone GvG Hand Demon Warlock Deck
Hearthstone Piloted Shredder Analysis
Hearthstone Priest Crazed Alchemist Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Deathrattle Hunter Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Rank 1 Legend Druid Deck
Hearthstone Recombobulator Probability Statistics
Hearthstone Getting Legend with Zoo Guide
Hearthstone Handlock Meta Analysis
Hearthstone Voodoo Miracle Rogue Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Naxx Watcher Druid Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Duplicate Freeze Mage Guide
Hearthstone Arena Success Guide
Hearthstone Control Warrior with Silence Deck
Hearthstone Freeze Mage Tips
Hearthstone Common Deck Types
Hearthstone Shaman Detailed Legendary Guide
Hearthstone Deathrattle Priest Legend Guide
Hearthstone No Leeory Zoolock Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Handlock Beginner’s Guide
Hearthstone Crafting and Disenchanting Guide
Hearthstone Deck Types Overview
Hearthstone Naxx Watcher Druid Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Legend Zoo Anti Hunter Guide
Hearthstone Midrange Hunter Mirror Match Guide
Hearthstone Midrange Priest Anti Hunter Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Full Aggro Face Hunter Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Control Priest Legendary Guide
Hearthstone Naxx Control Warrior Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Senpai Shaman Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Deck Building Guide
Hearthstone Naxxramas Hunter Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Arena Basics Guide
Hearthstone Naxx Tempo Rogue Deck
Hearthstone Haunted Creeper Midrange Hunter Deck
Hearthstone No Combo Ramp Druid Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Naxxramas Zoo Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Naxxramas Wing 1 Heroic Strategy
Hearthstone Naxxramas Arachnid Quarter Meta Guide
Hearthstone Miracle Rogue In-Depth Guide
Hearthstone Warlock Zoo Strategy Guide
Hearthstone Rogue Wisp Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Fast Ramp Druid Guide
Hearthstone Aggro Freeze Mage Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Warlock Zoo in Arena Guide
Hearthstone Paladin F2P Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Warlock Zoo Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Becoming Legend Guide
Hearthstone Mage Budget Aggro Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Arena Beginner’s Guide
Hearthstone Tempo Warrior Top 50 Legend Deck
Hearthstone Basic Tempo Rogue Zero Dust Deck
Hearthstone Tempo Rogue Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Card Ideas
Hearthstone Beating Freeze Mages Guide
Hearthstone Druid Midrange Ramp Druid Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Glossary of Terms
Hearthstone Life, Card Advantage and Tempo
Hearthstone Enable Play History and Logging
Hearthstone Automatic Deck Tracker
Hearthstone Control Paladin Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Terms and Concepts
Hearthstone Cards to Dust Immediately List
Hearthstone Miracle Rogue Matchups Analysis
Hearthstone Mage Competitive Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Aggro Mage Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Shaman Detailed Matchup Guide
Hearthstone Control Warrior Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Warlock Murlocs Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Warlock Power Overwhelming Rush Deck
Hearthstone Shaman Budget Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Top 10 Arena Mistakes
Hearthstone Rogue Aggro Mill Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Shaman Combo Deck
Hearthstone Improving Your Game Guide
Hearthstone Legendaries Crafting Guide
Hearthstone Warlock Aggro Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Deathwing Ramp Druid Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Priest Hybrid Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Druid Mill Miracle Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Warrior Weapons Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Druid Token Legendary Rank Cheap Deck
Hearthstone Paladin Rush Legendary Ranked Deck
Hearthstone Deck Strategies for Beginners
Hearthstone Rogue Malygos Legendary Deck
Hearthstone Tempo Shaman Legend Rank Deck
Hearthstone Rogue Legend Rank F2P Deck
Hearthstone Anti-Hunter Priest Deck
Hearthstone Aggro Mage Guide
Hearthstone Amaz Legendary Priest Deck Guide
Hearthstone Rush Priest Guide
Hearthstone Druid Ramp/Roar Deck Guide
Hearthstone Fireside Cardback Easy with Evolve or Tunngle
Hearthstone Gaara Dreamhack Druid Ramp Deck
Hearthstone Mid-Range Hunter Guide
Hearthstone Hunter Turn 7 Legend Rank Deck
Hearthstone Priest Blast Legend Rank Deck
Hearthstone Mage Legendary Rank Deck
Hearthstone Control Warrior Guide
Hearthstone Druid Legendary Rank No Taunt Deck
Hearthstone Warrior Rank 10 Easy Deck
Hearthstone Hunter Important Tips
Hearthstone Beginner’s Tips
Hearthstone Aggro Priority Targeting Strategy
Hearthstone Warrior Rank 4 Budget Deck
Hearthstone Warrior Enrage Deck
Hearthstone Hunter Rank 5 Budget Deck
Hearthstone Hunter Rank 5 No Legendaries Deck
Hearthstone Shaman Rank 1 Control Deck
Hearthstone Rogue Rank 10 No Legendaries Deck
Hearthstone Druid Rank 4 Deck
Hearthstone Druid Rank 3 Seven Legendaries Deck
Hearthstone Druid Rank 5 Deck
Hearthstone Priest Rush Rank 4 Deck
Hearthstone Terms and Mechanics List
Hearthstone Warlock Masters Deck
Hearthstone Druid Masters Deck
Hearthstone Druid Legendary Ranked Deck
Hearthstone Mage Enrage AOE Deck
Hearthstone How to Win Guide
Hearthstone New Player’s Guide
Hearthstone All Achievements and Quests Guide
Hearthstone Priest Rank 4 Deck
Hearthstone Legendary Crafting Priority Guide
Hearthstone Merloc Rank 1 Warlock Deck
Hearthstone Rogue Basics Guide
Hearthstone Rogue Rank 3 Aggro Deck
Hearthstone Starter’s First Steps Guide
Hearthstone Newbie Tips
Hearthstone Basic Cards Rating and Guide
Hearthstone Rogue Rank 5 Deck Guide
Hearthstone Frost Giant Mage Deck
Hearthstone Arena Drafting Guide
Hearthstone Golden Soulbound Cards List
Hearthstone Mage Burn Deck
Hearthstone Shaman Bloodlust Summoner Deck
Hearthstone Free Player’s Guide
Hearthstone Arena Card Pick Guide
Hearthstone Druid Beginner’s Guide
Hearthstone Mage Master 3 Decklist
Hearthstone Budget Player’s Guide
Hearthstone Secrets List and Guide
Hearthstone Tips and Terminology
Hearthstone Starter’s Guide
Hearthstone Legendaries Guide
Hearthstone Suicide Warlock Competitive Deck
Hearthstone Quests and Daily Quests List
Hearthstone Official FAQ
Hearthstone General Guide to Card Games
Hearthstone F2P Guide
Hearthstone Beginner’s Guide
Hearthstone Playstyles Basic Guide
Hearthstone Thrall Shaman Guide
Hearthstone Card Advantage Guide
Hearthstone Miracle Rogue Deck
Hearthstone Paladin One Shot Deck
Hearthstone Priest Control Two Star Master Deck
Hearthstone Basic Only Decks List
Hearthstone Paladin Control Masters Deck
Hearthstone Leveling System Rewards List
Hearthstone Beginner’s FAQ
Hearthstone Crafting Introduction
Hearthstone Game Modes Introduction
Hearthstone Class Tier List
Hearthstone Cards Beginner’s Guide
Hearthstone Warrior Useful Cards Guide
Hearthstone Basic Info Guide
Hearthstone Hero Tactics Guide
Hearthstone Warrior Basic Tips
Hearthstone Shaman Guide
Hearthstone Arena Guide