Leviathan Warships Beginner’s Tips by KildarKMT
Hi everyone. I’ve been playing Leviathan Warships nearly nonstop in the week since it’s been released, and with nearly a 100 versus matches under my belt, I’d like to say I’ve seen almost everything. Everyday I meet a few new players, and I try to provide them with tips for the future, but with the inability to know if people are still in the post-game lobby listening, perhaps having something more permanent will save my fingers from having to frantically type the same tips repeatedly.
While I enjoy military strategy more than most, much of this just is apparent if you just think about it, but without a further ado:
You can’t shoot what you can’t see. Well, technically you could, then you’d just be playing a game of Battleship with prettier graphics. It is tempting to think that having a Dreadnought or two sitting low in the water with arms and armor would be unstoppable, but if you don’t have a scout, for all intents and purpose you are a sitting bat. Because at least ducks can see. Scout bridges alone are not enough to compensate for having an actual scout (with a scout bridge).
So bring a scout. Better yet two, or three, and keep them alive, because a smart player will target his opponent’s scouts and if you lose your scouts, you might as well have brought those useless guns along instead.
Welcome to a cross between WWI and the Age of Sail. Broadsides are how you will fight with your capital ships (C4 and up). For all intents and purposes, a broadside are all the weapons capable of firing in the same direction and distance.
While ships of history had cannons sticking out every which way, your navy cannot afford such extravagance. Having railguns or Pegasi sticking out both sides of your ship is nice, but 90 percent of your battles will be fought against an enemy in one direction, meaning the half of your weaponry and therefore points are being wasted at a given time. The other 10 percent of your battles means you have been flanked and have already lost. Therefore, keep all your guns to one side and make sure they’re pointing the right way when the enemy is in range.
The rush will always get through. Railguns and Pegasi pack the punch needed to fight larger ships, but they have limited firing arcs and a large deadzone, respectively, but every once in a while, you’ll find an enemy that enjoys spooning with your ships. Ships will get closer than you think, between weapons missing and more targets than your ships can shoot, and then you’ve got a thorn in your side.
In a 2v2, communicate with your partner to see how your fleets might complement each other. If you have a surplus of scouts, and your ally does not know enough to have brought one, send one over to spot for his likely improperly armed but potentially powerful capital ships. When possible, good admirals will attempt to execute a simultaneous attack on one enemy in an effort to crush one player with an overwhelming concentration of firepower. This blitz strategy can be very effective as it can quickly turn a 2v2 into a 2v1, but beware of having the other player smash into your flank enroute or during the battle.
And just in case anyone doesn’t know (some don’t), the blinking boxes in the top right are chat boxes. Please respond to teammates so they know they’ve been heard. Silence is not golden.
And there are countless more nitty tips, but this will have to do for tonight, and should help the beginning admiral with fleet composition at least.Other Leviathan: Warships Articles
Leviathan Warships Ship Editor Guide
Leviathan Warships Weapons Guide
Leviathan Warships Basic Guide
Leviathan Warships Advanced Tips
Leviathan Warships Beginner’s Tips