Guild Wars 2 Guardian Information
Guild Wars 2 Guardian Information by teina
- Weapons and Armor
- Weapon-Based Skills
- Virtue Skills
- Healing Skills
- Utility Skills
- Downed Skills
- Drowning Skills
- Elite Skills
The guardian is a devoted fighter who calls upon powerful virtues to smite enemies and protect allies. As dangerous with a staff as he is with a mighty two-handed hammer, a true guardian is a master tactician who knows when to sacrifice his own defenses to empower his allies to achieve victory.
Each guardian is supported by passive benefits, but he can relinquish those benefits, passing his powers on to his allies. This ability makes the guardian an excellent supportive fighter whether they are leading an assault or defending your party’s flanks.
Guardians have developed three virtues that empower them in combat. By wielding Justice, the guardian’s attacks can burn his enemies. With Courage, the guardian can shrug off even a mighty blow. Through Resolve, the guardian passively regenerates health, allowing him to wade into the most dangerous situation and come out alive.
3. Weapons and Armor
A Guardian can use a variety of melee and ranged spellcasting weapons.
Main hand: Mace, Sword, Scepter
Off hand: Shield, Torch, Focus
Two-handed: Hammer, Greatsword, Staff
Underwater: Spear, Trident
The guardian wears heavy armor.
4.1 Weapon Skills
Mace Skills (main hand)
Chain mace attacks with support skills.
1a. True Strike: Smash your foe.
2. Symbol of Faith: Slam the ground and create a mystic symbol that damages foes and regenerates allies.
3. Protector’s Strike: Surround yourself and allies with a shield. Grant protection to yourself and nearby allies if counter attack hits.
Sword Skills (main hand)
Melee weapon with a balance of offense and defense.
1. Sword fo Wrath: Slash your foe.
2. Flashing Blade: Teleport to target location, striking target and blinding nearby foes.
3. Zealot’s Defense: Block enemy ranged attacks while sending out magical projectiles.
Scepter Skills (main hand)
Offensive spellcasting weapon.
1. Orb of Wrath: Fire a slow moving orb at your foe.
2. Smite: Strike foes in target area repeatedly.
3. Chains of Light: Immobilize your target in ethereal chains.
Shield Skills (off hand)
Protective offhand for AoE shielding.
1. Shield of Judgment: Send out a shield wave that damages enemies and applies Protection to self and allies.
2. Shield of Absorbtion: Create a dome around you that knocks back foes and absorbs projectiles
Torch Skills (off hand)
Burns enemies and removes conditions from allies.
1. Cleansing Flame: Throw a cone of celestial fire in front of you, scorching foes while removing conditions from allies.
2a. Zealot’s Flame: Set yourself alight with eldritch fire and Burn nearby foes.
Focus Skills (off hand)
Offensive and defensive support spells.
1. Ray of Judgment: Damage and Blind enemies. Apply regeneration and remove a condition from allies.
2. Shield of Wrath: Create a shield and that blocks the next few attacks. If not destroyed, the shield will explode, damaging nearby foes.
Hammer Skills (two-handed)
Powerful close range AoE.
1. Hammer Swing: Strikes foe.
2. Mighty Blow: Damage nearby foes with a mighty ground slam.
3. Purge Conditions:
Purge up to five conditions from nearby allies and burn nearby foes.
4. Banish: Launch your foe with a powerful smash.
5. Ring of Warding: Create a ring around you that foes cannot cross. Trapped enemies cannot exit the ring while it is active.
Greatsword Skills (two-handed)
Offensive weapon with some ranged and control skills.
1a. Strike: Strikes a foe.
2. Symbol of Wrath: Pierce the ground with a mystic symbol that damages and burns foes while granting retaliation to allies.
3. Whirling Wrath: Spin in place and swing your greatsword while hurling powerful projectiles.
4. Leap of Faith: Leap at your foe. On hit, blind nearby enemies.
5. Binding Blade: Throw blades at your foes, causing damage over time. Bound foes can be pulled to you. The effect ends when a foe moves out of range.
Staff Skills (two-handed)
AoE damage and defensive spells.
1. Wave of Warth: Throw a shockwave ahead of you to strike foes.
2a. Orb of Light: Fire a slow moving orb at your foe that can be detonated to cause blindness and burn.
3. Symbol of Swiftness: Sear a mystic symbol into the target area, damaging foes and granting swiftness to allies.
4. Line of Warding: Create a line on the ground in front of you that is impassable to foes.
5. Martyr: Draw conditions from nearby allies to yourself. Gain Fury, Health, Might, Protection, Regeneration, Swiftness, and Vigor.
Trident Skills (aquatic)
Long range support.
1. Light of Judgment: Launch a ball of light that heals allies and damages foes.
2. Weight of Justice: Sink your foe with the weight of justice.
3. Purify: Release an orb of cleansing light that removes conditions of allies it passes through. Detonate it to burn foes and remove conditions from allies in the blast radius.
4. Pillar of Light: Create a pillar of light at foe’s location. Pulses damage every second.
5. Wall of Refraction: Create a wall that turns hostile projectiles into healing energy.
Harpoon Skills (aquatic)
Close range damage.
1. Spear of Light: Throw a spear that makes your foe vulnerable.
2. Zealot’s Flurry: Strike foes in front of you with a storm of jabs.
3. Brilliance: Blind all nearby foes.
4. Spear Wall: Create a spear wall in front of you that damages foes passing through it.
5. Wrathful Grasp: Throw a spear and pull your foe to you, burning them.
4.2 Virtue Skills
1. Virtue of Justice: Burn foes with your every fifth attack. Activate: Nearby allies set foes on fire with their next attacks.
2. Virtue of Courage: Every 30 seconds you gain an aegis that blocks the next attack. Activate: Grant Aegis to nearby allies.
3. Virtue of Resolve: Regenerate health. Activate: Remove conditions and regenerate nearby allies.
4.3 Healing Skills
1. Healing Breeze: Heal yourself and allies with a healing breeze. Stacks with Regeneration.
2. Shelter: Block attacks while healing.
3. Signet of Resolve: Passive: Removes a condition every 10 seconds. Active: Heal yourself.
4.4 Utility Skills
Bane Signet: Passive: Grants you Might. Active: Knock down and damage your foe.
Signet of Judgement: Passive: Reduces incoming damage. Active: Grant retaliation to nearby allies.
Signet of Mercy: Passive: Improves healing. Active: Revive a nearby ally.
Signet of Wrath: Passive: Grants you increased condition damage. Active: Immobilize your target.
Every profession has access to one profession-specific attribute. For the guardian it is:
- Willpower: Decreases the recharge on all virtues.
From level 11 to level 80 onwards, a character also gains 1 trait point.Thus, a level 80 character gets to spend 70 trait points. Each trait line has 30 levels (1 point per level). Leveling each trait also increases two associated attribute lines. For the guardian, the trait lines and associated attribute levels are:
- Zeal: Power and Concentration.
- Radiance: Precision and Expertise.
- Valor: Toughness and Prowess.
- Honor: Vitality and Compassion.
- Virtues: Malice and Willpower.
To read what each of the attribute lines do, read the Arenanet blog article on attributes and traits.
1. Zealot’s Speed: Guardian gains 10 seconds of swiftness when your health drops below 50%.
2. Zealot’s Courage: You drop a symbol of courage when you reach 50% health.
3. Righteous in the Face of Death: Regenerate health as long as health is below 25%.
4. Writ of Power: Increase damage done by your symbols by 10%.
5. Fiery Wrath: Deal 10% more damage against burning damage.
6. Fiery Resolution: Smite conditions when health reaches 25%.
7. Wrathful Spirits: Spirits deal 10% more damage.
8. Scepter Power: Damage with scepter is increased by 5%
9. Two-Handed Power: Damage with 2-handed weapons is increased by 5%
10. Conciliatory Power: 10% of power is given as a bonus to healing.
1. Justice is blind: Justice blinds foes.
2. Critical Brilliance: You have a chance to blind with your critical attacks.
3. Critical Radiance: You have a chance to burn with your critical attacks.
1. Valorous Protection: You gain protection when your health reaches 50%.
2. Might of the Protector: You gain might when you block attacks.
3. Retributive Armor: 10% of Toughness is given as a bonus to Precision.
1. Protective Reviver: You and your ally gain Aegis when you revive them.
2. Purge of Heart: Aegis heals on removal.
3. Might of the Virtuous: Any Aegis you apply gives might when it is removed.
1. Resolute: Increases the duration of Resolve.
2. Shield of Courage: You now gain Retaliation when you activate Courage.
3. Might of the Virtuous: You now gain might when you activate a virtue.
6. Combos and Strategies
CynicalBrit: GW2 Beta – Guardian Staff and Hammer Gameplay
7.2 Organized PvP
Cursenetwork: Guild Wars 2 – Guardian PvP Gameplay